PDA

View Full Version : Is This True?

emc
05-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Someone in another forum implied that some dogs such as Chihuahuas should not be taught how to "sit pretty" (beg) because their bone mass can't support the weight and that it's too much joint strain. Is this true? I've never heard of anything like this before.

Dog Art Studio (http://dogshop.50webs.com) - Cool dog stuff and dog searchword puzzles

Karen
05-27-2006, 09:28 PM
No, I have known plenty of little dogs, Chihuahuas included, who did "sit pretty" just fine, with no deleterious effects other than weight gain from too many treats! Chihuahuas have sturdier-looking rib cages than legs, and they do fine walking and standing on their legs!

wolfsoul
05-27-2006, 09:45 PM
I've never heard of this. Small dogs are often predisposed to leg problems from bad breeding, but I've never heard of it happening from walking on their hind legs. My friend's chihuahua is getting surgery for his luxating patella (slipped stifle). He still sits pretty just fine, he just can't run like he used to and his leg pops out of joint all the time.

emc
05-27-2006, 10:58 PM
That's what I figured. I use to have a chihuahua that was really good at "sitting pretty" with no problem.

shihtzulover850
05-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Snuggles doesn't do that but she is a little bigger than some but small for her particular breed.

lute
05-28-2006, 09:55 AM
i've never heard this before. it doesn't really sound correct either. i've seen plenty of chihuahuas that can "sit pretty" and they were fine.

MsLadyLyn
05-28-2006, 10:20 AM
I have four Chihuahua's one of them watched one of my large dogs "sit pretty" since she was a baby. Imagine my surprise when she "sat pretty" on her own! :) The other three dance and walk on their back legs when they want attention. But not Sasha, they all have regular check ups and are just fine. That's a new one on me also.

Alysser
05-28-2006, 10:27 AM
I highly doubt this is true. My friend used to have a chi and he never had any bone problems from sitting pretty. Sassy has no problems.

zoomer
05-28-2006, 11:21 AM
No, I have known plenty of little dogs, Chihuahuas included, who did "sit pretty" just fine, with no deleterious effects other than weight gain from too many treats! Chihuahuas have sturdier-looking rib cages than legs, and they do fine walking and standing on their legs!

I agree :)