PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn Question

dogzr#1
05-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I am just wondering if there is anything that will help heal sunburn more quickly and possibly reduce the pain. I got really sunburned because we went to Schliterbahn (waterpark at the beach) yesterday and we stayed until 6. My arms HURT like crazy and so does my back. Any help would be apreciated.

Maresche
05-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Aloe Vera gel or a lotion with Aloe Vera in it will be your best bet. It is carried at just about any drug store, especially this time of year. Put it on liberally and often to rehydrate the skin and lessen the pain.

Try to avoid any lotions with alcohol in them as they will dry out your skin even faster.

shihtzulover850
05-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Aloe vera is best. Because I have naturally tan skin I get very dark but don't burn. Once when I was younger I did burn though and the aloe vera was best! :D

dogzr#1
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
ok thanks. i'll ask my mom to take me to the store when she gets home from work. :D

k9krazee
05-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Run it under cold water!!! In my first aid class and they said that sunburns continue to burn under the skin, thats why they hurt so bad, so run your arms under cold water and the burning will stop a lot sooner than just applying lotion overtop. Just a thought :)

BOBS DAD
05-26-2006, 01:42 PM
I say "hit yourself in the toe" with a really big hammer. Hit it really hard and you will forget all about your sunburn. LOL... just kidding - hope the sting goes away soon!!! :D :D :D

elizabethann
05-26-2006, 01:46 PM
asprin may help with the pain/sting of a sunburn.

i get sunburned if i don't wear a high spf - totally sucks.

as gross as this is, i avoid showers for about 4-5 days. if i take a shower, my burn starts to itch really bad (like i got sun poisoning). so i just wait for the burn to heal a bit and then it doesn't itch.

most of they time i just put on a high spf, but there are times i just forget.

if i don't get skin cancer in my lifetime, i will be very surprised and very lucky.

being white as a ghost can stink sometime.

good luck.

My Peanuts
05-26-2006, 02:19 PM
I agree with everyone's remedies. I just wanted to say how jealous I am that you went to Schliterbahn! I saw it on the travel channel and it looks awesome!

sammy101
05-26-2006, 02:41 PM
which one did you go to?Didnt the one in Galveston just open?I've never been and i really want to go!
Aloe Vera gel works best for me for Sunburns. :)

Karen
05-26-2006, 02:45 PM
A cool baking soda bath will help right now.

But the benefit of being a ghosty-white-skinned person is, that because we avoid the sun or wear sunscreen more than other people, our skin stays wrinkle-free longer. It's a long-term benefit, hard to think of now ...

dogzr#1
05-26-2006, 03:13 PM
which one did you go to?Didnt the one in Galveston just open?I've never been and i really want to go!
Aloe Vera gel works best for me for Sunburns. :)

I went to the one on South Padre Island. It was really fun! but i stayed in the water so much that I never reapplied my sun screen. I took a cold shower and the stinging isn't as bad, then when my mom gets home I'll tell her some of these suggestions to see which one(s) she wants me to do.

king2005
05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Aloe Vera gel = EVIL!!!!

You have to be careful with this stuff!!!

7yrs (I was 16) ago I was in the sun for 30 mins & burnt my upper back & shoulder to a crisp. It was so painful, The ex & I went to the drug store to pick up some Aloe Vera gel.. I got the clear one & he put it all over for me. I slept on my belly with the gell on & the fan blowing on me to help cool it. I work up & I was stiff as a bloody rock.. the gel cause the burn to go from a first degree burn (normal sun burn) to a 2ed & 3rd degree burn...the gell caused the burn to cook me!!

OMG the pain.. I had NO use of my right shoulder & was trapped my my shirt for a month!!!!!!! I couldn't shower, so I had to use a cloth with my left hand (not easy!).. I had a special cream from the dr. to help it heal faster & to preven infection.

It was the end of the school year & I had my fav science/math teacher, Mrs. Quick. She always made sure I knew what was going on in class & gave me extra assignments as I love science, but had a hard time remember the larger words, so I was doing poorly.. Well the monday after I had the burn, she did her usual round & made her way to my desk & put her hand on my back like always to say hello.. I screamed at the top of my lungs & balled my eyes out.. Talk about embarassing!!! Mrs. Quick nearly wet herself from my scream & had to jump at least a couple of feet (poor lady).. Saddly she did it once more during class & a few times during the week.. hehe She felt so bad, she bought me fries from the caf lol.

so ya Aloe Vera gel BAD!!!!!

ohya, I have scaring ALL over my back.. you can see where the burn was.. as I'm a completely different colour there.. I should be pale as a ghost & I'm spotted tan colour... stupid spots :P

caseysmom
05-26-2006, 03:20 PM
king2005, the burn probably could not breath because of the gel and continued to burn, I would have never thought of that, cold water is probably the best bet.

persianmom
05-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm a true blonde and sunburn in about 20 min. My mom always put vinegar on it. It took the sting and burning away right away. You may stink but it works great. Hope it helps.

finn's mom
05-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Aloe has always been what I use. I've never had an instance where it made it worse. I use it on a lot of things, but sunburn and bug bites are what I use it religiously for. Hope you get to feeling better!

gemini9961
05-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Aloe always works for me too. If you can find one with Lidocaine in it that will help the pain and burning.