PDA

View Full Version : i bought a prong collar

lute
05-25-2006, 11:13 AM
i bought a prong collar yesterday. i'd wanted one for a long time i have needed it for a couple foster dogs. i just finally got the guts to buy one.

the reason i was so reluctant to buy one is my mom thinks they are terrible and that only pit bulls and rotties wear them. oh my poor uneducated mother. :rolleyes: i knew i'd have to hear abot how terrible i was for buying one.

when my mom got home she saw the collar on my dresser. oh my gosh you should have seen her face! "OMG Lexie! don't you put that thing on my Beanie!" "you're wanting to be a dog trainer, can't you train a dog to walk on a leash without this device?!" i had to explain to her that it does not hurt the dog if it is used properly. i won't be using it on her precious Beanie or my lovely Gracie. both our dogs are very well behaved. and walk well on a leash. i bought it for upcomming rescue dogs.

*NOTE: i DO know how to use this collar. i've used one before. no need to tell me how to do it. :)

shihtzulover850
05-25-2006, 11:37 AM
hehehehe!!! :D

critter crazy
05-25-2006, 11:40 AM
they are great!! I have used them on many dogs, good luck!:)

buttercup132
05-25-2006, 04:04 PM
lol my mother is very uneducated too *sigh* it can be so annoying sometimes.

jackie
05-25-2006, 04:22 PM

I wonder if it is as annoying as a child who thinks they know more about life then their parents.

Good luck with training Lute! I have and still use prong collars on the boys.

anna_66
05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't particurally like them but I feel sometimes they are needed. I don't think your bad. Roxey had one when she was younger and Bon still has one (well that is until his new Blocky Collar comes in:D).

lute
05-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I don't particurally like them but I feel sometimes they are needed. I don't think your bad. Roxey had one when she was younger and Bon still has one (well that is until his new Blocky Collar comes in:D).
what's a blocky collar?

anna_66
05-25-2006, 05:30 PM
what's a blocky collar?
It's just the name of the company that makes the collars. The one we got is a martingale style but it's made especially for BIG DOGS.
Here's the one we got...Blocky Dual Grip (http://www.blockydogs.com/styles.htm)
I like it because it does the work of a prong collar with the prongs:)

dab_20
05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Is a prong collar the same as a choker collar?

LeahMM
05-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Is a prong collar the same as a choker collar?

NO! Chokers are just that and they can cause serious damage to the larynx. If used properly the prong collar works wonders. I used them on my dogs for leash training. What it does is if your dog pulls, the pinch collar gives a suttle pinch to get their attention.

dab_20
05-25-2006, 05:52 PM
NO! Chokers are just that and they can cause serious damage to the larynx. If used properly the prong collar works wonders. I used them on my dogs for leash training. What it does is if your dog pulls, the pinch collar gives a suttle pinch to get their attention.

I see, thanks. I wish they had those at the humane society! We have labs all the time and one time we had a redbone coonhound that was STRONG. It's really hard for us to walk them because they are too strong.

Logan
05-25-2006, 06:16 PM
I haven't used a prong collar in a long time, but I cetainly did when training my Golden Retrievers. The chain collar (choke type) didn't even affect them. They are not trained greatly right now, but they are at least polite!

Logan

lute
05-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Logan, the choke collar worked good for my Gracie. she had been on a show collar since she was a puppy. she's easy to handle.

LeahMM, i agree that prong collars are a lot more effective and less dangerous than choke collars. lots more people use the choke collars more than the prong collars because they are cheaper and don't look at "mean"

Anna- ah, i've seen those before. i just didn't know wha they were called.

dab_20, you can buy a prong collar to use at the shelter. but DON'T leave it there! someone would more than likely use it unproperly and hurt a dog. they aren't really expensive.

BOBS DAD
05-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Mark Twain:
"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in JUST seven years."

lute
05-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Mark Twain:
"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in JUST seven years."
haha! that's good!

zoomer
05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Well your mom is sure wrong about just pit bulls and rottweilers wearing them only. Buddy, Alaska, and Georgia all use one. They do not hurt the dog either, just gives them a little pinch. Try telling your mom that. I say a prong is much better than a choke!

sammy101
05-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Kodie & Lucy wear them and its worked wonders.I dont have a problem with them at all. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I use a prong on Tango sometimes, mostly when we're going for a long walk and know I'll be around lots of other dogs on leash. She also uses a martingale, which people seem to think works similar to the prong but it doesn't phase my dogs at all.