PDA

View Full Version : Found a dog-Edited: He's been reunited with his owner

Ginger's Mom
05-25-2006, 05:07 AM
Ginger and I went out for our evening walk last night and found a sweet little beagle boy walking in the street (yes I do mean in the street, not down the street), by himself. There isn't a ton of traffic in our development, but at that time people are coming home from work so it isn't the best idea. Anyway, a lady walking her poodle and I were able to coax him over to the sidewalk, and found he did have tags. His name is Copper, and his phone number is from a town about 10 miles away. We were able to get Copper to follow Ginger and I home, he came right in when I opened the door. I did call the number on his tag, but got an answering machine. I left my home and cell number and we all went back out and walked around the neighborhood for about an hour hoping to see someone walking around looking for him. No luck. :( No phone call either. I also notified my local police in case anyone calls them. He is a very very nice boy. Neutered, housebroken, well-behaved (although a big pig, I have never seen a dog gobble food as quickly and with as much gusto as he does), and just generally a really nice dog. I sure hope his family calls this morning. I am not sure what I am going to do with him when I go to work today. I am sure they must miss him; this is a dog who has been loved and well cared for. Oh well, I just thought I would share. May get some pictures of him later if I don't hear from his family-but I would rather hear from his family.

chocolatepuppy
05-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Good for you for helping Copper! I hope his owners call soon.

Alysser
05-25-2006, 05:48 AM
:D That's so nice that you stopped and helped Copper. Good Job! I hope the owners call. How is Ginger getting along with him?

Daisy and Delilah
05-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Great job Joyce and Ginger!! I hope you find Copper's owner Joyce. Surely, you'll hear from his frantic owner soon :) Best of luck!

Rachel
05-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Oh, Joyce, I am so glad you were able to rescue this pup. Ten miles away is a significant distance. Don't you wish he could relate what happened? Definitely this story is one *to be continued*.

Jo-Anne
05-25-2006, 07:37 AM
I'm happy you were able to rescue him as well... It really annoys me when I see so many loose dogs in my neighborhood. we are a busy enough town and I don't feel like being a witness to a dog being seriously injured.. Even all the cats that are loose here..

Pembroke_Corgi
05-25-2006, 07:37 AM
I hope his owners call! I wonder how he managed to get so far away?

Pam
05-25-2006, 07:43 AM
He is a very very nice boy. Neutered, housebroken, well-behaved (although a big pig, I have never seen a dog gobble food as quickly and with as much gusto as he does),

Oh Joyce, this poor boy has probably missed a meal or two I bet. Being ten miles from home and so hungry makes me think he has been away from home for quite a while. Thank you so much for taking him in, although I would have not imagined you doing anything else. My Ripley was a stray, as many of you know, and fortunately wound up in a shelter where I found him rather than hit by a car or starved to death.

I hope you hear from his owners soon. In the meantime I bet Ginger is enjoying her new buddy. :)

lute
05-25-2006, 08:38 AM
poor beagle boy. he was probably scared to death. i hope you can find his owners. being 10 miles from home he may have been dumped. :(

Lobodeb
05-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Awww, Joyce, how great of you to take Cooper in. But why wouldn't you? You have a heart the size of Texas! I sure hope his family calls you for him. Hopefully they haven't called because they're out looking for him.

How is Ginger getting along with him? What will you do in the event his owners don't call?

Ginger's Mom
05-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Well, I am at work and I still haven't heard anything. Copper is gated in my kitchen. I think it would actually have been alright to leave him loose, he is that good, but I didn't want to take any chances. He tried to mount Ginger twice, but after the second time when she came pretty close to taking his nose off, he learned his lesson. They pretty much ignore each other, although Ginger is a little jealous when he gets attention. My thought is maybe someone in my neighborhood was watching the dog for a friend/relative who is away, and he got out, and that is how he ended up so far from home. Anyway I called the Community House Office for our neighborhood and left a message (on an answering machine :rolleyes: ) for the manager telling her if anyone is looking for the dog I have him, and asking if anyone with the owners last name lives in the area. Will call the shelter when it opens. Poor Copper I am trying to keep him out of the shelter, but he may end up there. I can't keep him right now, because when we get back from this weekend I am watching Sammy (pomeranian) for ten days. In my little condo that is enough. :) We still have two days to find his family.

pitc9
05-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I hope his owners are missing him and are calling around/looking for him!!
(My Aunt has a Beagle named Copper too!)

anna_66
05-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Joyce how sweet of you to take this well mannered little guy in! I'm hoping that his family will come and claim him soon.

Anita Cholaine
05-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Poor boy... Hope he can be home again with his family soon!
How sweet from you that you're taking care of him... :)

gemini9961
05-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Joyce, thanks for helping little Cooper and I too hope his family calls.

cyber-sibes
05-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Any word yet? It's really nice of you to host him for a few days. Maybe his family just hasn't heard your message yet, out of town for a few days & he decided to take a stroll? He must be lost, if he were dumped, he wouldn't have tags. Keep us posted! Extra pets to Ginger for her hospitality!

lute
05-25-2006, 10:45 AM
i really hope he doesn't end up in the shelter! beagles don't adopt out well. :(

Karen
05-25-2006, 10:59 AM
How did he get ten miles from home? Easy - he's a beagle - he probably got loose, started following a sniff, and was miles from home before he realized it. And at least half the beagles I have known were consummate chow-hounds - food is to be inhaled, chewing is for slowpokes.

lute
05-25-2006, 11:03 AM
And at least half the beagles I have known were consummate chow-hounds - food is to be inhaled, chewing is for slowpokes.
yeah, same thing for sibes! *must act like i've never eaten before!*

shihtzulover850
05-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Oh no I hope he is okay.

Toby's my baby
05-25-2006, 02:28 PM
I hope you find his owners soon!! Poor guy, must be scary being so far from home! Good luck!

Ginger's Mom
05-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, I heard back from our community's office, and there is someone in the development with the same name as on the answering machine in the other town. The phone number she had was disconnected, but she gave me the address, and one of my neighbor's kindly offered to go over and leave a note on the door. At approximately 7:30 tonight (25 hours after I found Copper) I received a phone call from his owner saying he just got home from work and got my note. So I took him home. Honestly, he seems like a very nice young man, just not too knowledgeable on doggie stuff (he was talking about getting another dog to keep Copper company so he wouldn't be so rambunctious and run like that-I suggested doggie day care a couple of times a week instead). But, anyway, they seemed happy to see each other, I am sure he will be fine. I did ask how old Copper was and he said he found Copper while hiking seven years ago and the vet thought that he was about 2 at that time. So the old boy is home. I hope he stays there. :)

Alysser
05-25-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm so glad you found Coppers owner! :D Good job:)

Cincy'sMom
05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah for Copper!

Cinder & Smoke
05-25-2006, 08:11 PM
:confused:

Maybe I missed it - but did we figure out HOW poor ole Copper
managed to get 10 miles from home???

Glad you held on till the Reunion happened!!

;)

lute
05-25-2006, 08:12 PM
YAY!!! another happy ending! hopfully the owner will take your advice and take him to a doggy day care.

zoomer
05-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Yay! I'm glad you found his owner :)

chocolatepuppy
05-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Yay! Happy ending. :D

cyber-sibes
05-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Alright! Good job!

shihtzulover850
05-26-2006, 10:51 AM
oh good i am sooooooooooooooooo glad!!!! :D

Rachel
05-26-2006, 11:35 AM
:confused:

Maybe I missed it - but did we figure out HOW poor ole Copper
managed to get 10 miles from home???

;)

Okay, I'm guessing here, but Joyce did say he was a young man, so maybe the address was one from when he lived with his parents and now he is out on his own in Joyce's community.

I think he might want to update that tag as well as his phone number with the community's office. Joyce, maybe he could use a substitute mother. :p

pitc9
05-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Glad he's safe at home!

Ginger's Mom
05-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Yes, Rachel you are quite right, on both counts (how the dog got here, and his owner's need for a surrogate mother nearby). I think Ginger and I will take a walk over that way once a week to make sure they are making out okay. :)