PDA

View Full Version : Checking in

slleipnir
05-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Hey guys. I'm at the farm right now and I have some time to check my e-mail, so I thought I would let you know how it's going.

First of all, I'm at a farm on PEI. The people are really nice. It's a small place in the country where everyone knows everyone else. They have 5-6 llamas, sheep, goats, cats (one of which has 5 3 week old kittens!), peacocks, a dog, pigs, rabbits, chickens (silkies, and 2 other breeds I don't remember the name of), ducks, a cow, horses and a donkey. I've been here since saturday, and I've got the hang of chores now. There is a lot to it, but I'm getting the rountine down.

One of the horses is a Belgian, and is over 17hh. She actually scares me because at her rear end, she is taller then me! And I'm almost 6 ft! Her hoofs are huge too. I'm getting used to her though, and she is a big sweety. I doubt I'll want to ride though lol. I don't think I could get up on her! We did take her on a wagon ride though. They have a big wagon they take people on rides and stuff. It was really fun.

She also does something called Llama trekking. Which is taking the llamas out for a picnic. You pack your lunch in bags which they carry, you walk to a beautiful spot overlooking a stream, and you tie them up to graze as you eat your lunch. We did that today for training, and it was wonderful! I can't even explain. I thought the idea was sorta weird at first, but once I did it, I thought it was just wonderful. I took some pictures I will post this weekend, maybe.

Anyway, I'm have a lot of fun. It's different being here though as they live off grid. They run completely off of solar and wind power, so they cut back on a lot. Like, there is no hot water and no shower. Luckily the have a cottage which has hot water (no shower) and if no one is using it, then I take a bath there. Mind you, the water just dribbles out, so it takes a long time haha. It takes getting use to. They don't have a TV or a fridge.

I miss my babies a lot though, and can't wait to go home this weekend to see them. I'll be coming back here on monday.

lizbud
05-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Sounds like you are having a lot of "firsts" with your summer stint in
the countryside. Looking forward to pictures later on. :)

Cataholic
05-24-2006, 02:47 PM
That sounds amazing! Hard, but, amazing. Check in often!!!

Do you stink? :D

Rachel
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
WOW. I am impressed. You have followed through on your intention and I know you will amass some wonderful experiences, skills, memories and a well toned body. Carpe Diem! Thanks for sharing this unique and challenging experience with us.

slleipnir
05-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Well, you know, there is a lot of things to do like making sure everyone has fresh water, food, hay and straw, and make sure their areas are clean. But, I'm enjoying every part of it. I love doing chores.

Although, the kittens have now started to wonder about. And it's scary because they're ALWAYS under foot! I didn't even know they were wondering around when I ALMOST stepped on one. I would have died! :( I missed them 2 or 3 times :( 2 have names. Fern and i don't actually remember the other. Any ideas? I like Whisper for a cat....Also what about a name for a bunny?

'Nip: no, do you?

Karen
05-24-2006, 07:03 PM
:( I missed them 2 or 3 times :( 2 have names. Fern and i don't actually remember the other. Any ideas? I like Whisper for a cat....Also what about a name for a bunny?

'Nip: no, do you?

If one is Fern, how about Heather, Moss, Lily, Violet - woodsy, flowery names - boys can be Moss, Stone, Brook ...

Glad you're having a good - if tiring - time! Ohh, do give that big Belgian a hug and nose rubs for me.

What's the unnamed bunny like? Color, size, ear orientation ...

slleipnir
05-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Oo, great names Karen. There is now Fern, Storm and...Rowan? I think. 2 left to be named.

The bunny is gray with uppy ears....er, not floppy. I took a picture of her today. She's a nice bunny.

slleipnir
05-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm back for the weekend, and I miss everyone already :( If I could take my pets out with me, I don't think I would want to come home!

We hitched Jethro (Fjord horse) to a "fore cart" yesterday. We took him down the road and trotted him a little. It was really fun. I'm getting more and more comfortable around the horses, and I may even ride Jethro if I build up the courage. (I took lessons for a few years but had a bad spill and have been afraid to ride since. I tried 2 times after that to get back on and had bad experiences so I just stopped.)