PDA

View Full Version : A plea from a loving mom (me)

Logan
05-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Please take this in the spirit it is offered.....

We have experienced a great deal of loss in our family in the last six months. First we lost Murphy, a yellow Lab lady, and Scott's precious angel who had been with him all of his adult life. She became my buddy when Scott and I met and spent the last 3 1/2 years of her life with Scott and me and I became her caretaker. She died at 15, almost 16, years old. Then last week, we experienced another unexpected loss when it was discovered that Zipper, our precious Golden Retriever, had cancer that could not be cured.

My point to you all is that I have tons of pictures of my dogs, all of them, but what I lack is pictures of "us" with our dogs. Forget vanity, please and take the opportunity to take pictures of yourself with your precious pets before it is too late. PLEASE!! Don't just take pictures of your children, your spouse with your dog or cat. Ask them to take pictures of you with them. You don't have to post them, publically, but you will have them when your pets are gone from you. I have asked my husband to promise to take pictures of me with my precious angels, realizing that I have no pictures of Murphy with me and none of him with her, either. There are thankfully a few of Scott with Zipper and some with Zipper and me on one day, early in our life together. I long for more of both of them with all of us.

Do it, my friends. It will bring you so much joy in future years.

Much love to all of you and with best intentions......

Logan

.sarah
05-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Thank you for this reminder! I have been meaning to do this. I don't have any recent pictures of my pets and I together except for Buck and I when he came home a couple months ago. I don't have any with Luka that I am aware of, and all of the ones with Mandy and I are really old, and ones with Nova are of her when she was a baby.

So sorry again for your losses.

K9karen
05-24-2006, 12:10 AM
logan..i totally agree! i grab my camera and try to get shots of klo, but except for my Christmas cards, i have very few of us together. may i add that human family photos (with pets) are priceless too. sadly, i have old ones since never the twain met at home with working hours and active lives. :( sadly, we learn too late. i'm expecting a Bagley family photo in the snail mail!

slick
05-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Logan, this has really touched home with me. The ones who know me best, know that I hate having my picture taken. However, the last day that my Speckles was on earth, I had a couple of friends come over to take pictures of us both. Those are the pictures I treasure the most.

I just recently purchased a digicam and, yes, I plan on trying to take some good shots of Max and me. I will not post them for obvious reasons but will file them away for future viewing.

Big {{{hugs}}} to you Logan and my heart still breaks for your losses.

jenluckenbach
05-24-2006, 05:04 AM
Logan, you could not be more correct. And we often need a reminder. Thank you. :)

Randi
05-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Logan, first I want to say how sorry I am that you had to say goodbye to Zipper ... as if it wasn't bad enough to loose Murphy. :( :(

You are so right, it's a treassure to have photos of your dear ones, I am lucky to have quite a few of John with Fister, still I wish I had more. Years ago, we had another cat, Sir Patrick. I'm glad I have few photos with him and me - perhaps an opportunity to get them scanned and show them here. :)

((((Hugs))))

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-24-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks Logan for the reminder!! I'm sorry you have had to go through so much in the last few months.

I never really had anyone around to take my picture with the kitties.. so I used the timer on my camera to take our pictures together..

I felt like a big nerd.. but It sure is worth it to have those memories! :)

moosmom
05-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Logan,

You've been through alot these past few months. Makes MY life look like a cakewalk.

Another bit of advice from a professional photographer's daughter - ALWAYS write on the back WHO, WHERE, and WHEN. I got 2 boxes of pictures from my brother last week (I've been in a funk ever since). The more recent ones don't have any identification on them, but because I know where, when and who, I wrote it on the back. SOME of the older ones (from the early 1900's) have nothing written on them, so I have no idea if it's my great grandfather, or the neighbor next door.

And you're so right. Have pictures taken of you AND your pets. Although I live alone (for the most part) and don't really have anyone to take pictures for me, I manage the one-armed pictures of me and the furkits.

lv4dogs
05-24-2006, 08:14 AM
You are so right. Thank you so much for bringing that to our attention. {hugs}

Cataholic
05-24-2006, 08:44 AM
:( Thanks for the reminder.

Aspen and Misty
05-24-2006, 09:59 AM
I have to agree Logan. I hate the way I look in pictures, but I find the pictures I treasure the most of my RB dog is the one of my and him together.

Thanks for the reminder Logan, and hugs to your family (((hugs)))

Ashley

Kfamr
05-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I agree Logan.

Remember everyone, you don't have to share these pictures with anyone. You can keep them to yourself for years and years. I have many pictures of my dogs and I that I have never shared with another soul.

moosmom
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I have the most precious picture of Casey "Bubba Dude" and me that I absolutely LOVE. We're both cuddled on the couch, I've got my arms wrapped around him and we're cheek to cheek with his paw on my face. I cherish that picture. It was right after my hysterectomy and Casey had this knack for knowing I needed TLC.

elizabethann
05-24-2006, 12:18 PM
OMG...I can't believe you posted this. Here's my story:

First, I'm sorry for your loss. But I have soooo many pictures of Fenway, Cosmo & Maxie. And one day I thought, I have pictures of my animals...alone...in a group...with other people...but NOT with me! So I asked my Neice to take a picture and she did. I love the picture and it means so much to me.

I think this is a great reminder!!! Thank you!!

lizbud
05-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Logan, I'm so glad you brought this up. I really don't think about it
much, but it is so important. We rarely think about it till it's to late.
I'm a little embarressed to ask others to take the pictures, but I really
should do it anyway. These pictures mean a lot in the future. :)

Anita Cholaine
05-24-2006, 01:23 PM
I agree with you Logan... I've just realized that I don't have a good pic of Anita with me and the rest of my family. Thanks for the reminder! :)

(((hugs))) I'm sorry about your losses...

Alysser
05-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I also agree. I have no pictures of me and Sassy togather. I also have NONE of sunny except one of him with Star. I will never forgive myself for it. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm so sorry for your losses.((HUGS)) :(

finn's mom
05-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Logan, you are a special person. I try to get pictures of Finn and me pretty often, but, I think this is a good reminder. I think of you often.

gemini9961
05-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the reminder Logan. I hardly have any of me with the pets or husband and the pets. You're right, I don't have to share them with anyone and even if the picture isn't perfect it's still a memory.

Rachel
05-25-2006, 01:40 AM
This reminds me of a book I was given by a very dear person. It is entitled Dogs and Their Women and is a collection of just such photographs. Logan, I think that picture that was posted in Zipper's memorial thread of you and him would have been material for that book.

Personally I wish I could get a picture that captures the essence of my relationship with each of mine. Unfortunately I, like others, am waiting for a little help to catch just the right one.

Pam
05-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Logan thank you for this suggestion. It is not something I would have thought of on my own. Looking back now at so many of my pictures of my RB dogs they are in the arms of other people. That is because I was always the one taking the pictures. I will try to remedy that for sure in the future!

One thing that I would suggest to those of you with cameras that can do videos - take some!!! My son-in-law had a movie camera back in the days when my precious Whitney was still with us. He got a small clip of her just walking around the house. Each time I have viewed that it gave me such a warm feeling - sort of like a visit with her. :)

anna_66
05-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Logan you are so right. And now that you have Mack I hope you'll have many pictures with you him and the rest of your fur kids:)

If you look at my siggy you'll actually see a picture I had Mark take of me and the dogs just last weekend at Paws fest. It's not often I'm in any pictures because like the rest...we are the one doing the picture taking! For some reason I just wanted a picture of the three of us for just the reason you are talking about.

I know it's been hard for you lately and I hope this little guy can make your home a little more cheery.