PDA

View Full Version : Help!

~Ginny~
05-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Mkay...

Malina is getting two dwarf hamster sisters, they're going to live together in a cage. But I was a bit curios about "dwarf hamsters" so I did a little bit of research. And I found this:

"These animals are solitary animals - one hamster per cage is the recommended way to keep them. Otherwise you might end up with dead hamsters in your cage, because they killed eachother. This goes for all dwarf hamsters, even if they sometimes can be kept together in very large cages if they are provided with at least one house and one wheel each. But since they don't like other hamsters it is better and also safer to keep them alone. If you want to keep 2 of the smallest species (the Roborovski's Dwarf Hamster) in one cage you may need at least a 100 liter aquarium with 2 houses and 2 wheels. They don't like to sleep together, and if the wheel is occupied by another hamster that may be the reason they need to start a fight. I do not recommend keeping more than one hamster per cage!
Both photos are of my pet winter white dwarf hamster Julia, that I lost this summer due to a nasty boil. Julia lived well over 2 years, but in these photos she just one year old. "

That's what the first paragraph read. Is this true!? Oh my... I'm soooooooooo confused! And I don't want the poor hammies to kill eachother... She first went on a website, a forum where there are people that know A LOT about hamsters and they said Dwarf Hamsters are VERY happy when they have a friend/mate/sibling with them... But the paragraph above totaly defies all that! Who is right? I have to know befoure she gets TWO hamsters and ONE cage on Sunday. :mad:

Jessika
05-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, yes its true... it is not recommended to keep hamsters together unless they grew up together from babies, even then sometimes, especially the males, have the tendacy to get into fights... bloody fights... I'll let you draw your own conclusion to that.. :(

Certain breeds can do well together, but since so many are uneducated about which do and which do not make good cage mates I think its safe to say only put one per cage

~Ginny~
05-23-2006, 10:20 PM
She's getting females, and they are siblings. But on other forums I've heard that dawrf hamsters are happier with a friend..

Jessika
05-23-2006, 10:24 PM
I've heard some dwarfs can, the specific breeds of dwarfs escapes my mind now... but there is still always the risk of them getting in fights. They are, after all, animals. Just as my dog and cat still get into fights sometimes.

~Ginny~
05-23-2006, 10:26 PM
I've heard some dwarfs can, the specific breeds of dwarfs escapes my mind now... but there is still always the risk of them getting in fights. They are, after all, animals. Just as my dog and cat still get into fights sometimes.
Argh.. Now I'm starting to become nervous xD ..

Chilli
05-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Somewhere I heard that only male dwarfs can be housed together.... I remember a friend telling me about how she had two dwarf hamster girlies, both from the same litter and grew up together, but they eventually got into fights. She said that one of the girls chewed off the other dwarf's ear and foot.
To be on the safe side, I think she might just want to go with a single hamster. My dwarf boy has lived with us, by himself since december of last year. He still seems happy and fine without a cagemate.