PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet?

Roxyluvsme13
05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
I was wondering about how you set up wireless internet, how it works, and some of the prices and such. Any advice is appreciated :)

Karen
05-23-2006, 08:08 PM
If you have cable internet, you need to get a wireless router that you just set up, and then make sure yor machine has the capability to recive the signal - most laptops do, but you might need to buy a card to put in it. Check your manual.

Jessika
05-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Your computer itself needs to have a wireless card so it can pick up the signal. Most newer laptops come with wireless capabilities already built-in.

Then you will need to purchase a wireless router, as Karen said above, and connect it to your modem, et viola!

REMEMBER THOUGH!! ANYONE WITHIN RANGE CAN PICK UP THE SIGNAL AND USE YOUR INTERNET! So be sure to secure the connection! For mine I have a MAC filter turned on on the router itself. A MAC address is not an IP address; it is your computer's unique thumbprint. You can not change your MAC address without purchasing and installing a new motherboard.

For my connection, I have all computers blacklisted from using my wireless internet UNLESS their mac address is in my safe list.

Oops, prices! Sorry....

Check with your current internet provider to see if they have any "Deals" on wireless modems. Otherwise, Walmart.com has some for really cheap! The best brands I have worked with, in my opinion, Linksys is #1!! Second is SMC, they're pretty good. Motorola is ok, but we had a loooot of problems setting our computer up with the motorola wireless router....

HERE (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=3944&search_query=wireless+router&Continue.x=0&Continue.y=0&Continue=Find&ic=20_0) is a link to a search for wireless routers at walmart.com

Roxyluvsme13
05-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Is there anything you can buy to have internet without a router or anything?

Jessika
05-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Nope, you HAVE to buy a wireless router or else how can the signal be broadcasted? And you also HAVE to buy a wireless card if your computer is not already equipped with wireless capabilities.

EDIT: Well I mean, you can buy a wireless modem, but they are MUCH more expensive.

Roxyluvsme13
05-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Nope, you HAVE to buy a wireless router or else how can the signal be broadcasted? And you also HAVE to buy a wireless card if your computer is not already equipped with wireless capabilities.

EDIT: Well I mean, you can buy a wireless modem, but they are MUCH more expensive.
What's a wireless modem o__O

Jessika
05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
A modem is what connects you to the internet. If you have cable or dsl, then it is the box that plugs in to the wall. If you are on dial-up, it is located internally in your computer. :)

Roxyluvsme13
05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I knew that, but a wireless one doesnt connect or anything?

Jessika
05-23-2006, 09:06 PM
A wireless router connects TO your current modem. You can NOT connect a wireless router (or ANY router, for that matter) to the wall.

If you got a wireless MODEM, you CAN connect that directly to the wall. But if you already have an existing modem, you don't want to waste the money buying a new modem if you already have one, so its just cheaper to buy a router.

Roxyluvsme13
05-23-2006, 09:08 PM
A wireless router connects TO your current modem. You can NOT connect a wireless router (or ANY router, for that matter) to the wall.

If you got a wireless MODEM, you CAN connect that directly to the wall. But if you already have an existing modem, you don't want to waste the money buying a new modem if you already have one, so its just cheaper to buy a router.
Well, there's no possible way to have internet anywhere then, :p. Which is always what I wondered.

Jessika
05-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Now you have officially confused me....

Do you think that wireless internet is something broadcasted over the entire planet and something you subscribe to? Because that's not it; YOU make your current internet connection wireless and you broadcast your current connection throughout your household (and even beyond, which is how people can easily, easily steal your internet if you don't secure it!).

As of right now, what internet do you currently have? Dial-up, cable, DSL?

SalemWitchChild
05-24-2006, 06:03 PM
As others have said you can use a wireless router which is how my lap top is connected. When I am not home though I have my cell phone hooked up as a modem. I attach it to my pc, and the software connects to the internet through my phone. Anywhere my phone has a signal anyway.. It was really slow but for someone like me a little is better than nothin at all!

The wireless router cost me about $120 I think. The hardware for the cell phone to connect cost me 50 dollars for the hookups and then $30 dollars a month. But you can cancel it when you don't need it and then if your going somewhere subscribe to it again a few days before your trip.

Roxyluvsme13
05-24-2006, 06:51 PM
We have cable, and I just always thought Wireless internet was different, thats all.

ChrisH
05-25-2006, 12:56 PM
It is different, and very useful for a laptop. You still need your phoneline or cable but the computer itself does not need to be connected. You also still need an internet provider.

I've attached a couple of pictures.

One shows the router, it is connected to the power supply and another cord is attached to the phone line.

The other is of the wireless card in my laptop.

Roxyluvsme13
05-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Ok. It looks confusing still, :p. But I'll just stick with cable I guess.

BitsyNaceyDog
05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Do you think that wireless internet is something broadcasted over the entire planet and something you subscribe to? Because that's not it; YOU make your current internet connection wireless and you broadcast your current connection throughout your household (and even beyond, which is how people can easily, easily steal your internet if you don't secure it!).

My town has free wireless internet (http://www.stcloud.org/index.asp?NID=402) for the whole town. Unfortunately I'm not in the city limits so i don't get it here at my house. I think all you have to do is buy a special network card for your computer. My parents have it, so do my in-laws.

Jessika
05-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Its not confusing at all, really ;)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=28026&stc=1

EDIT: KBLAIX:
Some places have it, EVENTUALLY there will be a worldwide wireless internet you can subscribe to, but it is not a big thing yet. Few cities or towns have it as of right now. And its definitely not broadcasted over the entire planet :)

But yes, you stil will have to buy a wireless network card for your computer before you can pick up the signal.

Roxyluvsme13
05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
I still want a new computer..or at least get this one fixed. *sob*