PDA

View Full Version : Legless man climbs Everest.

RICHARD
05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Legless climber conquers Everest

A climber who lost both legs to frostbite has conquered Mount Everest.

Mountain guide Mark Inglis, 47, took 40 days to reach the top of the world's highest peak, reports the Mirror.

One of his carbon fibre false legs broke during the climb but Mark repaired it. He had taken a spare set of limbs and parts just in case.

His delighted wife Anne said: "He dreamed of this all of his life. He's over the moon."

Mark, from New Zealand, lost his legs below the knees and nearly died when he was trapped in a storm climbing his country's highest peak Mount Cook in 1982.

But he went on to become a ski guide and has a silver medal for cycling in the Sydney Paralympics.

----------------------------------------------------------

What an advantage, not having to worry about frostbite? :confused: :eek:

moosmom
05-24-2006, 09:54 AM
RICHARD,

My very dear friend and his wife, Michael Kodas and Carolyn Moreau and their team of expert climbers, are on Everest climbing as I write this. This will be their 2nd climb up and Mike is in the middle of writing a book about it. He's tried twice so far this time to summit without success. I'll be praying for the day they hit U.S. soil again.

What an advantage, not having to worry about frostbite

Says who??? Not only is frostbite a serious concern, but so is lack of oxygen.

I give Mark Inglis alot of credit for what he accomplished. I could never do it. With our without my real legs.

lute
05-24-2006, 10:50 AM
wow! what a feat!!! i couldn't do it.

elizabethann
05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Legless climber conquers Everest

A climber who lost both legs to frostbite has conquered Mount Everest.

Mountain guide Mark Inglis, 47, took 40 days to reach the top of the world's highest peak, reports the Mirror.

One of his carbon fibre false legs broke during the climb but Mark repaired it. He had taken a spare set of limbs and parts just in case.

His delighted wife Anne said: "He dreamed of this all of his life. He's over the moon."

Mark, from New Zealand, lost his legs below the knees and nearly died when he was trapped in a storm climbing his country's highest peak Mount Cook in 1982.

But he went on to become a ski guide and has a silver medal for cycling in the Sydney Paralympics.

----------------------------------------------------------

What an advantage, not having to worry about frostbite? :confused: :eek:

Isn't it amazing what a human being can do? It puts me to shame. I'm moaning about how I don't feel like going to CURVES tonight!

Alysser
05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
:eek: What an amazing thing to accomplish, especially in his situtation!

Anita Cholaine
05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
I read about this on the newspaper, what an amazing story!