PDA

View Full Version : Socializing feral kittens...

moosmom
05-23-2006, 03:30 PM
FIRST WORD OF ADVICE: PATIENCE!! It's not gonna happen overnight.

As requested, here are some guidelines for socializing feral kittens.

STEP ONE: Keep them isolated in a crate large enough for a litterbox, food, water and a hammock that they can lay in (it hangs on the bars of the crate with clips) in a quiet room. Be consistent. By that I mean, everyday, go in there, sit on the floor while they're staring at you from the crate and talk softly to them, blinking your eyes slowly. That will let them know you're not a threat.

STEP TWO: Do that for a couple of days. Then, if you feel brave enough, try to pet them. Do everything SLOWLY. You don't want to startle them. Keep in mind, there WILL be hissing and spitting and maybe even a little growling. Do NOT pull back. Their actions are simply trying to startle you so you'll leave them alone and go away. Keep it up. They may also try and back themselves into a corner to get away from you. Keep petting them.

STEP THREE: Once they've calmed down (and they will eventually because they'll be used to you by then and know you're not going to hurt them) take a kitty out by the nap of his neck (it doesn't hurt them as that's how their mama carries them) and pappoose him/her in a towel. By that I mean wrap him/her up in a towel with only his/her head exposed. Pet them, kiss them, love them, keep talking softly to them and blinking your eyes. The more they are handled, the quicker they'll come around. Repeat with the other ones too.

Eventually, you'll start seeing them relax more and actually look forward to seeing you. Then, you'll be able to pick them up and just hold them without the towel and you'll find them laying on your chest purring away, wanting headbumpies and belly scratches. THAT is the most rewarding experience and believe me, you'll know when it happens.

Pay attention to their body language too. Airplane ears (when they lay them flat), stiff body and puffed out tail are signs of stress. It's best to let him be for a while and work on one of the other ones.

I do hope this helps. If there is anyone else here (YOU GUYS KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!) that can offer anything I might've left out, PLEASE feel free to correct me, or add to what I've said.

Lizzie
05-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Donna - good job, looks great!

I have some questions.

To what age range can you apply this advice? A three-month old kitten is going to be a more established feral than a 4-week old. Would you still reach out with your bare hand? Would you still look them straight in the eye, blinking? The older the feral, the less I am inclined to look them in the eye for a while since it makes them uncomfortable. But perhaps I should do it anyway? I was advised to wrap feral kittens in a towel and hold them close but unfortunately the ones I was working with were about five months old and it didn't work out very well. :eek:

As well as talking to them softly, I try to keep my voice in a lower register and don't vary the tone very much - as you said, keeping things very calm. I also try to radiate calm, acceptance and good-will.

At what point do you introduce toys and attempt to play with them? Ferals haven't a clue about toys (though my work has been with older ones and this might not be true of the really young) and don't know how to play with you and the toy for a while. It's such a thrill when they first start to play with the toy and then connect you with that play.

Do you also try to keep to the same times each day to visit with them? Cats do have a sense of time, I know - we all know.

catfamily
05-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Thank So Much.I'm printing this out to read later on w/mike.I need to go to bed.I'm so tired.Thanks again. :)

catmandu
05-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Scrappy 2 Was Fairly Wild.
She Would Growl If You Came Near Me, And She Would Grab Her Food And Run And Hide And Eat It.
Now Shes Calm.
Its A Hard Job, But Its Worth It.

lute
05-23-2006, 07:56 PM
i'm definatly printing this out! i've needed info like this before. ALWAYS good to have it handy. :D

moosmom
05-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Lizzie,

I've worked with ferals ranging in age from 4 weeks to 4 months. You're right, the older they get, the more of a challenge it is.

The older they are, I'd wear gloves as cat bites are nasty and can get infected, although I've never had to wear them (I was VERY lucky). As far as toys are concerned, get a teaser wand that doesn't have any bells or anything where the noise may scare them. Feathers are good. Also, try giving them catnip. That works well too. Just remember to move slowly.

Younger babies are much easier to handle without a towel. The older the feral, I'd pappoose it. Looking them straight in the eye, SLOWLY blinking and whispering to them is not a threat. When they slowly blink back, that means you're starting to get through to them.

If you can keep your time with them consistent, same time every day, that's good. But it's not necessary. Feeding time, however, is. This will also help them outta their shell, as they will start associating you and food, which is a good thing.

I was advised to wrap feral kittens in a towel and hold them close but unfortunately the ones I was working with were about five months old and it didn't work out very well.

I've worked with 5 month old kittens we rescued from a hollow tree and they turned out great. It was tough at first because mama taught them humans were bad. There were 3 of them (2 black ones and an orangie I named "Grumpy Dave" after my Dad). They were all doing great until I took them in to be neutered. The two black ones (Ozzie and Boo) did great. But, Grumpy Dave reverted back to being feral after his neuter. I tried SO hard again to get him to come around, but he just never trusted me or humans ever again. He's now on a farm in upstate NY.

I've gotten scratched (and have the scars to prove it). But once those little guys had their turns with me in the towel, they knew I was not going to hurt them, just love them and get them to trust me. Being away from their Mama also helped.

catfamily
05-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Thank You so much for your help.Things are getting better :D We still have mega work ahead of us,but like I said....we'll keep it up and give it our best shot :) I really appreciate your help.

moosmom
05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Catfamily,

Anytime! Good luck! I'm actually jealous of you! I love working with feral cats and kittens.