PDA

View Full Version : This Weekend I Met ...

Karen
05-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Dave Barry
Helen Thomas (whitehouse press pool veteran)
Duke the Bush Beans Spokesdog
John Grogan (Marley & Me author)
Ted Kennedy (my senator)
William Cohen
Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket Author)
Eoin Cowfer (Artemis Fowl author)
Marian Wright Edelman
Temple Grandin
Emily_the_Spolied (Well, her human Cheryl, anyway)
and
Laurie (lbaker, whom we of course have met before.)

We were in Washington DC for Book Expo America, and Laurie and Cheryl met us for dinner. I have no pictures of the humans, sorry, but when I get to downloading my photos, I did get one of Duke, and 2 other dogs who had books about them. I promise to post those this week.

I didn't even know Temple Grandin was going to be there, somehow I missed her name on the list, but I was in line for Eoin Cowfer, and as got closer to the front, I excitedly said - "I think that's Temple Grandin!" to the people around me. I don't think any of them knew who she was, but as we got a few places closer, I said "It is! That's Temple Grandin!"

And Temple Grandin heard me, and as no one was in her line (lots of people couldn't get to it because of the crowds at the other end, and she was almost done her alloted time, anyway) she said "Climb over the rail and come on over!"

"I'm afraid I'm not coordinated enough," I said.

But then the dozen-or-so people in line in front of me who had witnessed this exchange smushed over to one side, and let me scoot past them to get Temple's autograph. I told her we run a website for pets, so she signed her book "Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior" for me, was nice, was friendly and down to earth, and even wrote her phone number in the book for me! She said that was a better way to reach her than email, she gets so much junk in her email that she doesn't use it much. Isn't that nice of her? She is such an amazing person.

We had a lovely dinner with Laurie and Cheryl at German restaurant, and spent time chatting as well as eating and enjoying the pianist.

Duke, by the way, is a leaner!

Just wanted to share that with everyone.

captain
05-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh Karen,
How fantastic!!!!!

What a lovely thing for Temple to do - although I must admit I don't know who she is, so going to "google" her ..... :D

Can't wait for pics .....

Karen
05-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Temple is an autistic woman who persevered and not only didn't get institutionalized, but became an amazing advocate for animals, saying that because of the way her brain works, she finds animals are often easier to understand than people. She is a college professor, and has done incredible work for both autistic children and animals.

Cookiebaker
05-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Wow, Karen, that sounds like an amazing weekend! And you got to meet John Grogan?? I have his book "Marley & Me" and love it. I haven't finished it yet, but that is due to too many deadlines! I would so love to meet Marle, too :D

Karen
05-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Yes, I now own a signed copy of Marley and Me! Marley has since gone to the Rainbow Bridge, so was unable to attend the show.

chocolatepuppy
05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow, I'd like to meet John Grogan, I'm almost through with the book. ;) And of course Duke. :D

cyber-sibes
05-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a wonderful time, karen! You were in Washington? We were in Charleston at UVA for a graduation - not far away. Have you ever checked out Findlay's Mazza Museum? It's a major collection of illustration art from Children's books - lots of wonderful animal art.

Karen
05-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a wonderful time, karen! You were in Washington? We were in Charleston at UVA for a graduation - not far away. Have you ever checked out Findlay's Mazza Museum? It's a major collection of illustration art from Children's books - lots of wonderful animal art.

I have not! Usually we're just in Findlay for the big Day at the Park!
On previous visits to Washington we have visited the fabulous museums there, but the Book Expo opened before and closed after the museums, and at the end of the day, we were also completely exhausted. We took a taxi to our dinner with Lauie and Cheryl, even though it was just a mile way, we couldn't have walked that far at that point!

Killearn Kitties
05-23-2006, 03:06 AM
Well what an amazing weekend you had! I hope you got Cheryl and Laurie's autographs too! :D

emily_the_spoiled
05-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Sorry Karen and Paul didn't get our autographs, but they know where to find us if they want them :D :D

finn's mom
05-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Wow, that sounds like a great day! How awesome that she gave you her phone number. I would have loved to been there, especially to meet the author of Marley and Me. Very cool!

sirrahbed
05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
WOW! What an exciting weekend Karen. :D

I thinks yours is a life that I would love to have led yanow? Books...creativity...animals...authors....travel.. .. ;)

Karen
05-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, will we see you in Findlay this Sunday, Deb? It's just a little travel for ya, but it is some! And LOTS of animals ... ;) And you'll probably still be able to see my bruises I get each time I go to the Book Expo from carrying heavy bags of books around! (I bruise absurdly easy, and they take forever to fade.)

shihtzulover850
05-23-2006, 11:08 AM
The author of the artemis fowl books eh? I have friends who read those. :D

shihtzulover850
05-23-2006, 11:09 AM
WOW! What an exciting weekend Karen. :D

I thinks yours is a life that I would love to have led yanow? Books...creativity...animals...authors....travel.. .. ;) I totally agree.

Karen
05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
The author of the artemis fowl books eh? I have friends who read those. :D

Yup! I love those books - I describe them to people as "the wicked Harry Potter!" That was a very long line!

Logan
05-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Karen, what a great weekend for you and Paul! Of course, I know the highlight of the weekend was to get to have Laurie and Cheryl join you for dinner!!! :D

Scott and I are traveling to NYC in early August and I will finally get to meet my friend, K9 Karen, for the very first time! We are headed there to attend a benefit that will feature Stephen King (one of Scott's favorite authors), John Irving and JK Rowling. They will all 3 do readings from some of their unpublished works. We are so excited about it. I have another good friend, Carol, who I met long ago through the MSN Golden Retriever board, who will attend the reading with us that night. And I've never met her in person either!

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience.

Logan

lizbud
05-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Wow, what an exciting weekend. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall
at that gathering. :D I certainly do know who temple Grandin is and would
love to meet her in person some day. Oh, and does Dave Berry have a new
book out? I would also love to meet Duke in person.Maybe I could talk
him into revealing the famous recipe for Bush's beans. :D

Vermontcat
05-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Karen, what a great weekend for you and Paul! Of course, I know the highlight of the weekend was to get to have Laurie and Cheryl join you for dinner!!! :D

Scott and I are traveling to NYC in early August and I will finally get to meet my friend, K9 Karen, for the very first time! We are headed there to attend a benefit that will feature Stephen King (one of Scott's favorite authors), John Irving and JK Rowling. They will all 3 do readings from some of their unpublished works. We are so excited about it. I have another good friend, Carol, who I met long ago through the MSN Golden Retriever board, who will attend the reading with us that night. And I've never met her in person either!

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience.

Logan

Wow Karen, sounds like you had a great time all around. :)

Logan, I would love to hear more about the NY trip, those are 3 of my favorite authors.
Don't forget to watch Stephen King's Desperation on ABC tonight at 8. :)

flamepony12
05-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Wow! I agree, what an exciting weekend! ^____^

John Grogan (Marley & Me author)

I just finished reading that book, it was wonderful :)

*LabLoverKEB*
05-23-2006, 10:47 PM
You met John Grogan!!! :eek: His book is the absolute BEST book I've ever read! That's so awesome, Karen! :)

gini
05-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Karen, what an envious weekend. I am thrilled that you got to meet all of the authors and I hope your bruises go away soon.

It sounds like a great weekend.

Karen
05-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Karen, what an envious weekend. I am thrilled that you got to meet all of the authors and I hope your bruises go away soon.

It sounds like a great weekend.

My bruises take forever to fade, but the books will be here far longer, and the memories even longer! :) Now it is just "what to read first?" and finding what books are in which boxes is always a bit like Christmas!