PDA

View Full Version : I don't know....

Alysser
05-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Now my dad has been thinking of getting a saltwater fish tank. He wants clownfish, tangs, angelfish, an eel, and the like. Not to weird. But at Petco the other day we saw a LIONFISH! :eek: He wants it. I really don't know what to think.

These animals are not only posioness but VERY hard to care for, from what I have heard. Not only that, but, I am kind of agianst saltwater fish being sold in a store. Captive bred or not. I think it would be cool to have a lionfish but I don't know what to think about the whole concept about a posioness creature in my house. My dad has expierence with the salt water fish but not lionfish! I don't know what to think......What should I tell my dad?

Zippy
05-22-2006, 08:16 PM
My brother's friend had sharks,eels,coral,ect...I don't know what to think

Vela
05-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, since he won't be able to get out and attack you, I think you'd be pretty safe if he did get one. It raelly can't hurt you unless you reach in and try to grab it, but I don't think you would hehe.

Alysser
05-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, since he won't be able to get out and attack you, I think you'd be pretty safe if he did get one. It raelly can't hurt you unless you reach in and try to grab it, but I don't think you would hehe.

That's not really the problem. It's that I'm agianst Saltwater fish being sold in a store and now my dad wants some. He doesn't know this and I don't know what to tell him since he's so excited!

I heard a story of a women with a lionfish and her house was rubbed. The lionfish was gone. :eek: The robbers stole him. That's kind of a worry for me now to.

hehe and for the record I wouldn't really want to touch him lol. :p

Chilli
05-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Wow, I think Lionfish are pretty. And neat.
But I understand where you are coming from, not liking the idea of owning saltwater fish.
I don't know what I would do if I were you. If my dad was that excited about getting something, I'd just keep my mouth shut and let him enjoy himself. Hey, you don't live this life very long before you go to another, why not do the things you enjoy?
Good luck on figuring out a way to tell your dad. Or good luck with the fish if you get them. :D

BTW, I was just wondering why your against saltwater fish being sold in petstores, but you're not against freshwater? I was just wondering. :)

IRescue452
05-22-2006, 10:16 PM
If he's got the 50 gallons+ needed for it and he doesn't mind that its going to eat his smaller fish then I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think they are any harder to care for than others.

Argranade
05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Life is only so long so if I where you id get one and enjoy it its not like your dad would put it in a tiny tiny tank it should be fine.

moosmom
05-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Salt water tanks are VERY high maintenance. The Ph level has to be perfect, the temperature has to be perfect of the fish will die. I dated a guy who had one and it's alot of work. Clown fish are beautiful, not to mention expensive. Goldfish are SO much cheaper. :p

Miss Z
05-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Salt water tanks are VERY high maintenance. The Ph level has to be perfect, the temperature has to be perfect of the fish will die. I dated a guy who had one and it's alot of work. Clown fish are beautiful, not to mention expensive. Goldfish are SO much cheaper. :p

Yes I agree with you there.

At an aqua store at a garden centre near me, they sell all sorts of thing, eels, diamond sturgeons, and even these amphibious creatures called caecilians (sp?). I sometimes get the feeling that we are trapping so many different aquatic creatures with such a high mantenance, and making them available to any member of the public.

IRescue452
05-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Goldfish are cheap? :eek: Not if you follow the rule of 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 extra gallons after, a filter with an incredible hourly turnover, and a daily-weekly use of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph tests depending on age of the tank and stocking amount. Water changes alone in a large tank run a lot of money too. All fishies are expensive buggers. Lets not feel bad for more exotic species and not give a crap about how many people keep goldfish in bowls of toxic water.

Alysser
05-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Clownfish are cheap here. The lion fish is over 100 dollars. Yes, I know my dad will not keep him in a little tank. He's had saltwater fish before. He's studied Marine Biology in college for a year and he worked at an aquarium for a short time(2 months). I agree with you moosmom. That's what my dad told me. He told me today I have to help him take care of the tank! I was so pissed and I still am. I barley know what PH IS! URGH. I'm not helping him with the water. Maybe feeding the fish but thats it! :mad: He's so annoying with this. I don't want the tank, but he insists I said this when I never did. Maybe I'll just ask him to get the lionfish alone without the other fish. Or maybe two lionfish? Whatever. I'm hoping that's all he'll get.

Chilli
05-23-2006, 08:18 PM
I see why you are upset now, I would hate for my dad to get a pet, then expect me to care for it.
I'm unsure of what to tell you for advice, but I wish you good luck with your dad. :)

shihtzulover850
05-26-2006, 02:58 PM
What I would like to know is how can you steal a fish??? :rolleyes: That is pretty stupid if you ask me! :confused: :D ;) :p