PDA

View Full Version : Safe Raw Food

labmomma
05-22-2006, 02:00 PM
I feed my Labs a healthy dog food but would like to add some raw to it and need to know what is safe. I'm worried about bones, etc. Please advise.
Thanx,
Labmomma (Donna)

.sarah
05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
All bones are safe except for beef leg bones or leg bones from animals of comparable size (moose, buffalo). A lot of people safely feed them but they are potential teeth breakers. They also can wear down teeth over time if fed often. I gave my crew marrow bones for the first time last week. I had to take Nova's away from her because she was chewing vigorously and I just had the feeling that she'd break a tooth. The others licked at the marrow like it was a kong. So I'll continue to get them for Mandy, Buck, and Luka, and I'll just give Nova something else to chew on.

Don't feed raw food with kibble. Feed kibble in the morning and raw at night or vice versa. Kibble takes 15 hours to digest and raw only takes 5 hours. They have no problem with the bacteria so long as it is able to digest normally and not set behind by something else (kibble). So just be sure that it has been fed before kibble or hours after kibble. Though some dogs have no problem with this, I still wouldn't reccomend it unless if your dogs have been eating raw for a while.