PDA

View Full Version : Tips wanted..

Laura's Babies
05-22-2006, 09:23 AM
My brother and his family are moving across country and this includes their 2 cats that went through hurrican Katrina. He will drive the big truck with their stuff and she will follow in their SUV with the cats.. I would like all of you to put your thinking caps on and offer up some helpful tips and advice to make the trip easier with 2 screaming cats who have never traveled any further than the vets office.

So far this is the plan... the vet is giving her something to calm the cats. We suggested they get them micrrochipped before they leave and Mike suggested a storage container type litter box to keep the litter from getting scattered everywhere. Anyone with anymore ideas or advice? Please post it!!

catmandu
05-22-2006, 09:31 AM
I have never travelled with Cats, so I wouldnt have a clue.
But I believe Tubby and Peanuts Meowmie travels with Peanuts and Cracker Jack, I am sure that she will have some great ideas.

Karen
05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
As you may remember, Gina did the cross-country drive with all her cats in the car. What she did was, in the time between shen she knew she was going, and when she actually left, she put a few in the car and take them for a short drive - 10 minutes, then a few days later a longer one, 20 mins. etc. - got them acclimated to the car, and accustomed to a car ride being an okay thing that does not necessarily end at the vet's office. It worked for her cats ... maybe they can do this with theirs?

The microchip is important, just in case.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-22-2006, 10:04 AM
In April we went to spend a week at the Belgian coast. We took 2 cats with us. They were together in our largest cat-o-prison, and I covered the box with a large blanket. They thought it was nighttime, and slept all the way :D