PDA

View Full Version : We are completely bewildered.

Sevaede
05-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Yesterday, after cleaning Weeping and Willows habitat, I discovered that Weeping had most of the skin off of her tail and it was bloody. We promptly took them to PetCo to talk with them about it and they said they would take them to the vet but they wanted them back (It was also decided that the lady who sold them to us would be reprimanded as we believe she caused the problems.). So, reluctantly, we gave Weeping and Willow back.

Then, we went to PetsMart to see if the health of their gerbils was any better. After talking with a lady there and discussing with her our situation, I thought, "Hey, she's pretty knowledgeable.". We decided to get the only two gerbils left. Now, the bigger one looks like it has chewed half of its tail off.

I have *NOT* handled them whatsoever. To get them in their home, I opened the door, opened the box, and propped the box against the openening so they could walk in themselves and they did. I petted the larger one last night and about an hour ago I did again. About half an hour ago I noticed her tail was missing. It doesn't look like the others. This actually looks like she chewed it down. I am so distraught. I don't know what to do. I have looked all over the net trying to find (as I did before) what could cause her to do this. I am all out of ideas.

My question is: What is the problem and what can be done to correct it? If I cannot correct the problem then I will probably just give up on successful gerbil companionship (much as I've *LOVED* the little companions!) and go back to rats, guineas, and ferrets. I am on the verge of tears.

lute
05-21-2006, 10:46 PM
that's so odd! i'm not a rodent person, sorry. i'm sure the lil guy will be just fine.

Sevaede
05-22-2006, 12:22 AM
that's so odd! i'm not a rodent person, sorry. i'm sure the lil guy will be just fine.

I don't know if she'll be alright with her tail being bloody and half chewed off, though. :(

Chilli
05-22-2006, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure how to help, since I don't know much on gerbils, but didn't I read something on your other thread about how they may do this out of stress? Are they still in the room where your cats are?
To reduce stress on all my rats, hamster, bird, and guinea pigs, I leave their cages in my room, and I don't allow the cats in there.
Whatever the cause of the problem is, I wish you luck.

IRescue452
05-22-2006, 08:48 AM
I thought you took them to the vet for an amputation? The ones you brought back to petco will probably be destroyed, probably by throwing them in a back room and letting them starve to death, a vet trip costs more than the gerbil. I've had gerbils completely recover from a tail being bitten off and live a normal life. You really should be changing something before getting new gerbils in the same situation. Try a glass aquarium or change the bedding, something to make it different.

Sevaede
05-23-2006, 12:37 AM
I thought you took them to the vet for an amputation? The ones you brought back to petco will probably be destroyed, probably by throwing them in a back room and letting them starve to death, a vet trip costs more than the gerbil. I've had gerbils completely recover from a tail being bitten off and live a normal life. You really should be changing something before getting new gerbils in the same situation. Try a glass aquarium or change the bedding, something to make it different.

No, I did not take them to the vets for an amputation. I've seen situations in which people and places have paid a lot more money to care for an animal than its "worth". I am not sorry if I am over paranoid and thought the best thing to do was to seek help from where I got them from. How was I supposed to know whether or not they could get infections from their tail falling off? My mom had to help with neuters on mice and a few died so who's to say that the same thing couldn't have happened to them? What did *I* do wrong? I feel like you are being very accusational here. I have cleaned the cage, changed the things inside of it, and I, honestly, don't feel like I should be blamed for something that I didn't foresee (I mean, honestly, how am I supposed to predict the tails falling off of the gerbils who are/were under my constant supervision, care, and allowed NO contact with any other companion?). So, please, don't insinuate. I am doing the *best* that I can with all the knowledge that I have and that's all anyone can ask from anybody.

In any case, I will be buying a fifteen gal aquarium soon with a mesh top. I just don't see how changing the habitat is going to make that much of a difference. They don't seem to be inhibited or care about their present situation. They are being/acting sweet and healthy and frisky. Hmm. Now, off to the drawing board to devise a way to make a second level in their new habitat! :D Hmm. I must also get a new wheel and a ball. Awesome!

Sevaede
05-23-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure how to help, since I don't know much on gerbils, but didn't I read something on your other thread about how they may do this out of stress? Are they still in the room where your cats are?
To reduce stress on all my rats, hamster, bird, and guinea pigs, I leave their cages in my room, and I don't allow the cats in there.
Whatever the cause of the problem is, I wish you luck.

I thought that may be it but I am not so sure. See, we are *always* watching them. If a cat gets too close then they get a squirt from a water bottle. So, I am failing to see how they get stressed out when the kitties aren't even allowed around them (most of the time the cats are wandering around the house anyways). I have cleaned the cage and replaced the water bottle and contents of the habitat. Plus, we don't try to pick them up but we do pet them and they seem to like that (they sit there and watch and bask in it). I have talked to my mom on several occasions about it and she, as well, is not too hip on gerbils and so we are trying to figure it out. I have been doing a ton of looking around on the net and can't find anything beyond "Don't pick them up by their tails" and "Let the tail fall off". Thank you.