PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P.: the great Seattle Slew

kobieeli
05-07-2002, 02:03 PM
What an amazing racehorse he was! My best friend in the late 70s was a girl (11 years old like me) who was nuts about horses and racing, and she and I watched all three legs of the Triple Crown together the year Seattle Slew won. Stacy called me today, and we are both a little sad remembering our childhood "crush" on that fast black horse. And strangely enough, his death this morning came exactly 25 years to the very day that he won the Kentucky Derby.

His story is available here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&ncid=755&e=1&u=/ap/20020507/ap_on_sp_ot/rac_obit_seattle_slew

momoffuzzyfaces
05-07-2002, 02:21 PM
I watched Seattle Slew win all three races of the Triple Crown on tv. He was always my favorite. I'm glad he went peacefully in his sleep after a fairly long life.

Logan
05-07-2002, 03:18 PM
What a long and wonderful life he had. I have never been a big horse enthusiast, but this one captivated me from the beginning, as did Secretariat.

I'm thinking that many of our members might be too young to remember these great horses! :o

zippy-kat
05-07-2002, 04:39 PM
:(
One of those once in a lifetime horses...

Sudilar
05-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Magnificent creature! I remember him well. :(

lizbud
05-07-2002, 07:51 PM
He was One in a million !!!

Rest in Peace Brave Heart...:(

Ann
05-08-2002, 04:45 AM
Very sad indeed :( But atleast he lives on in all of his children and he had a long, good life.

purrley
05-08-2002, 07:04 AM
He left us with quite the legacy. His children will carry it on.

Cincy'sMom
05-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Logan

I'm thinking that many of our members might be too young to remember these great horses! :o

Unfortuantly, I am one of those, born only a year before Seattle's Triple Crown. I don't really even remeber hearing the name of this horse before, unlike Secretariat, who is mentioned quite often. Any idea why? Or I am just missing the boat and the horse Was often reffered to?

tatsxxx11
05-09-2002, 05:00 PM
I love all animals. And horses are among God's most beautiful creations. Little in the animal kingdom compares with the sight of a gorgeous creature like Seattle Slew in motion. Just watching a horse like him or Secretariat run brings me to tears. Rest in peace. You brought such grace, beauty and class to your sport and to us all.