PDA

View Full Version : Operation Pill Ripley

jazzcat
05-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I found a trick that worked for today. I slipped Ripley a valium with a glob of peanut butter. It worked, hooray!

About an hour later when he was nice and mellow I wrapped him up like a baby in a towel and held him in my lap for a bit. Once he was almost asleep I handed him to hubby and then I used the pill shooter to get the antibiotic down his throat. Success!!!

I then took the baby back and held him for for a while until he wanted to get down and eat.

Picture of the baby.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/1.jpg

Now he is in the cat tree being nice and mellow.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/5.jpg

Okay that worked for one pill. Now I just have to figure something out for twice a day for 10 days. :rolleyes:

catmandu
05-21-2006, 03:53 PM
The One Thing That Works Here Is To Dip The Pill In Fancy Feast Juice.
Miquelito Ate His Pills Right Up.

Laura's Babies
05-21-2006, 04:14 PM
It took 3 treats to get Giz's heart meds in her last night but it was a big one and I chopped it into smaller pieces.. She will take the small ones with no problem along with her treat but the big ones, she spits right back out..

Glad you found a way to get Ripley's pill in him without stressing him and lets hope it works until he is done!! A Mama gotta do what a Mama gotta do!

jenluckenbach
05-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Excellent news!!!!!!!!!

The one thing you might be able to count on is that they (sometimes) fight less with time.

When I first started giving Sterling his twoce daily pills, it was a struggle. So much that I tried an ear cream and a treat form (neither of which worked for him) So it was back to pill. And over time he got VERY used to it.

rg_girlca
05-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh Lori, what a sweet picture of you and your baby Ripley. :)

Obviously you can't keep giving him the valium every time.

If you crushed the pill up in something, would it still serve it's purpose?

catnapper
05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Poor Riupley -- look how sweet he seems there (we all know the truth behind that sweet looking pose!)

Good luck finding 20 more ways to trick him into accepting his pills!

emily_the_spoiled
05-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I am not sure what you are giving him, but I am currently giving one of my guys Metronidazole (the really yucky tasting foaming at the mouth antibiotic). I got the liquid form and it is sooooooo much easier than a pill. I still have to do the burrito and he still fights me all the way. But at least he can't spit the pill out when I am finished! I also give him treats immediately afterwards to get rid of the yucky taste (and because I am a soft touch :rolleyes: )

jazzcat
05-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I am not sure what you are giving him, but I am currently giving one of my guys Metronidazole (the really yucky tasting foaming at the mouth antibiotic). I got the liquid form and it is sooooooo much easier than a pill. I still have to do the burrito and he still fights me all the way. But at least he can't spit the pill out when I am finished! I also give him treats immediately afterwards to get rid of the yucky taste (and because I am a soft touch :rolleyes: )
That is what I am giving him and he hates the taste. I spoke to the vet this morning and she is getting the liquid ready for me this afternoon. She said it has a cherry taste. I asked why not tuna or chicken?? Makes more sense to me. Anyway, I hope the liquid will go down easier.

Randi
05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
One down, 19 to go! :eek: I AM glad you managed to get the one down, but we can't have you turn him into a drug addict .... so I hope he'll take the rest with no problems - now that he knows it's not such a big deal. ;)

Good luck!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Awww....poor Ripley. :( And poor you!

I'm glad you were able to get him medicated this time and hope he'll continue to cooperate - poor guy.

Peanut is a piece of cake to pill. The last time she had a UTI, the vet gave me the liquid form and we had pink stuff everywhere except in her tummy. :rolleyes: :( I finally got the pill form again and that worked much much much better....but like I say, she's easy to pill.

emily_the_spoiled
05-22-2006, 12:03 PM
They can make it have a chicken flavour (or at least my vet does). The one good thing is that the dose is very small (0.75ml) versus 2.0mls for amoxicillin. So you are fighting for a much shorter length of time ;)

I have also found that a sweatshirt makes a better burrito than a towel does...

Good luck!

jenluckenbach
06-06-2006, 06:12 AM
So how is Ripley??

sirrahbed
06-06-2006, 09:03 AM
The picture of meowmie and baby Ripley is just adorable :) (Lori - you look so tiny, like a teenager ;) )

I hope the medicating is going well. I also think - how odd to make medicine for a kitty taste like - cherry?? Can't they make it good and stinky like with fish oil or something??