PDA

View Full Version : Hi All, New Here. Need Help

Summitt
05-21-2006, 06:59 AM
I have a year old black Lab named Summitt. I am looking for the right kind of collar to use on him while walking. I have been looking for one of those that fit high up on the neck behind the he ears. He is very strong and loves to play and walk. We would walk longer if I could get him not to pull so much. Can any one help?

shihtzulover850
05-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I would recommend getting a harness. they distribute the pressure more evenly on the chest. As a matter of fact we are going to get one for snuggles. it will be in pink. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
05-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Lady PULLS. The only thing we have been able to stop her from pulling on the leash with is a harness. I would definitely reccomend getting one, they don't like when it pulls under their front legs.

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-22-2006, 06:23 PM
A regular harness probably won't work, they don't on most dogs. I'd try a 'no-pull' harness if you want to try a harness at all. Has he been to obedience classes? If not, maybe he and you should enroll in some and maybe they could help you learn a few things when it comes to pulling? I personally prefer the prong collar for dogs that are almost impossible to walk, I use it one Tang at the moment eventhough she does have a perfect heel. if she sees another dog or a bird though, she pulls horribly and the prong collar is the only way I can stop her quickly as when she's focused on something, I don't exist. We're working on that though and I rarely use the collar any more. Most of the time I walk her on a martingale now. The prong collars are not cruel as people seem to think, I've tried it on myself once before I bought it just to see how it would feel and it didn't hurt at all. It was a tiny bit uncomfortable, but it did not hurt. Just make sure you know how to use one properly. There are is also the Halti, Gentle Leader and other types of head collars that people say work but when I used it on Tango she was miserable. Other people disagree with the use of any sort of training collar which is what the prong collar is but it's worked for me in the past, aswell as many other people. Maybe somebody else has some better advice though..

dab_20
05-22-2006, 07:17 PM
A regular harness probably won't work, they don't on most dogs. I'd try a 'no-pull' harness if you want to try a harness at all. Has he been to obedience classes? If not, maybe he and you should enroll in some and maybe they could help you learn a few things when it comes to pulling? I personally prefer the prong collar for dogs that are almost impossible to walk, I use it one Tang at the moment eventhough she does have a perfect heel. if she sees another dog or a bird though, she pulls horribly and the prong collar is the only way I can stop her quickly as when she's focused on something, I don't exist. We're working on that though and I rarely use the collar any more. Most of the time I walk her on a martingale now. The prong collars are not cruel as people seem to think, I've tried it on myself once before I bought it just to see how it would feel and it didn't hurt at all. It was a tiny bit uncomfortable, but it did not hurt. Just make sure you know how to use one properly. There are is also the Halti, Gentle Leader and other types of head collars that people say work but when I used it on Tango she was miserable. Other people disagree with the use of any sort of training collar which is what the prong collar is but it's worked for me in the past, aswell as many other people. Maybe somebody else has some better advice though..

I agree. I use a harness on Molli and it just makes her pull even more. I would try the harnesses specially made for pulling. If your dog is ok with Haltis, that might work.

shihtzulover850
05-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Snuggles doesn't pull a whole lot so the harness is good for her. but you have larger dogs so they probably will need a different harness! :D

lute
05-26-2006, 05:01 PM
i also recamend the prong collar. yes, they look scary, but they do not hurt your dog. it only gives them a slight pinch so it gets their attention and they don't pull.