PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the right thing?

Scooby4
05-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Last night I was at my normal club. Everyone knows me and I am like "Norm". :rolleyes: (I don't drink though!) I often help out the security guards. Let them know what is going on or who to "watch out for". I go there with alot of different single women so they won't be by themselves. My roles is also "Matchmaker" and setup many different people. Lost 20 pound there as well by dancing!!!
Anyway, there was a fight on the dance floor. The first serious fight anyone has witnessed in that club in years! It's mostly older folks. So NOT alot of violence. It's like a family.
Apparently, a small group of white young drunken "kids" were being pretty "abrasive" and rude. A black lady was dancing on the dance floor and had bumped into one of the young girls. The girl starts a fight along with a few of her "buddies". The black lady grabs a bottle and hits the girl on the side of the head! :eek: It takes quite a few minutes to untangle the mess.
In the meantime, I did NOT see the entire fight. I had tried to step in to see what was going on and who was fighting before getting security. I wanted to know what to tell security so they knew who the victims were. Security was outside checking the parking lot and was NOT in the club at the time. There are ONLY 2 guards. I got the one guard and told him the location of the fight. By the time I got back inside, the fighter had dispersed a bit and were getting separated by the crowd. I tried to assist by moving chairs out of the way so they could exit.
I followed them outside because I knew the guards were outnumbered. Luckily I did, because one of the group of kids had run up behind the other guard in a threatening manner! :eek: The guard was distracted by the 3 other people he was trying to separate. I then turned my attention to the victim with the glass in her head. I went over to check on her when her drunken boyfriend yelled at me and they threatened me! I am a trained First Aid responder! I was trying to calm them down enough for me to help them! I saw that wasn't going to work so I moved away giving guidance to call 911 immediately.
Finally, they had the people separated. That is when 2 ladies walked out of the club and told me they had seen the whole thing! That the young white girl had started the incident and the black lady defended herself. They didn't want involved and left the scene immediately.
I then saw the one guard and the bartendar/manager talking across the street. I overheard them saying "I don't know what happened or what is going on". They hadn't asked questions yet to the victims. So I walked to the guard and bartender to tell them what the 2 witness had said to me.
Here is where thing that is bothering me occurs... I try to tell them that I had 2 witnesses and this is what they said. The guard and bartender get angry at me!!! The bartender tells me that "I always know what is going on so get out of here!" The guard is like: "It's none of your business and you weren't a witness!!!" :mad: I told them I acknowledge I was NOT a witness but had statements FROM witnesses that would clarify the situation for them. I or them was NOT going to talk to the police! I didn't qualify and they left!
As I got across the street the first police car shows up. I directed them to the bleeding victim FIRST. Told them they would need an ambulance to call one in. That is when I noticed the black lady was sitting by herself with the other security guard. Since I had seen the group already try to come and attack BOTH of them earlier, I felt that I should go over in case something happened again. Also to talk to the lady and help calm her down. I was there just a few minutes when the OTHER security guard came over and told me to "Get away". :mad: I tried to tell him I was ONLY there because they were by themselves and I felt uneasy about that. Hadn't told anyone about how the security guard had almost been attacked earlier from behind!
On my way leaving, I saw the second cop car and helped wave it down and left the ENTIRE scene! Was NOT going to get involved with talking to the police since it really wasn't my business. I never did talk to the cops.
Do you think I did the right thing? :confused: Were the security guard and bartender wrong inyelling at me to go away? I was NOT being a "nosy person" at all. It just happened so fast that I just reacted to the emergency situation. I studied criminology and was captain of my neighorhood watch. So I have training on how to react to these types of situations.
Here's the other thing. I have been trained and certified as a "First Aid Responder". According to an obscure law in our state. If you are a qualified giver of first aid and you do NOT respond to an emergency and wait until help arrives, you can be sued! It does NOT fall under the "Good Samitarian" law. So I am "legally bound" to render assistance in a KNOWN emergency situation. So if I walk up to someone and state that I am a "First Aid Responder" I MUST respond to their emergency until help arrives. That is another reason I did not talk to the police. I couldn't render aid to the person because of the personal threat to me.
The security guards, bartender, and the waitresses are unaware of this. I feel that they think that I am being "nosy". Do I need to tell them? They have seen me react in other "health crisis" over time. I can see their side. I am NOT an employee there and so I shouldn't react as one. However, I am also bound to react as a person. I know that the staff is NOT trained or all certified in CPR/First Aid. Do I step back next time even though I can render assistance? I don't want to overstep my bounds.
The end result of the fight is the the girl had a cut on her head and was taken to the hospital. The lady was let go. I did tell the one security guard about the one guy coming up behind him and almost attacking him. He was grateful and called me his "guardian angel". As I was leaving the club, the friends of the victim were parked next to my car. I waited for them to leave. They had tried to start fights with a few other people including myself, and I wasn't getting involved!!! :cool:

jackie
05-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Why do you get so involved in this bar? I think you were in the wrong, and should have let the workers there get on with their jobs and not interfered aside from helping someone who was injured.