PDA

View Full Version : Signs from God? Ever had one?

Scooby4
05-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Have you ever asked for a sign from God and got one? :cool: It's soo frustrating!!! :rolleyes: Now does it mean I have to do it? :confused:
Today, something has been on my mind for awhile. I've been debating changing careers and getting into emergency medical training. It's been something I've been trained to do most of my life but haven't gone to school for. My brother was an EMT and my mother was training to be a nurse assistant before she died. So they practiced on me ALOT! :rolleyes:
I went to college and studied a field completely unrelated to the medical arena. (Electronic Technician/Quality control). My chosen carreer field pays more money but is entirely an "unstable" field. Have been laid off 3 times in a year! Currently unemployed again now. I may have an oportunity for a position 20 miles away from my house or 90 miles away for a job. None of which are that appealing to me.
So, I am driving in my car and thinking... What should I do? Should I seriously try to become an EMT? I've helped out at accidents scenes on many occassions in the past. Even at my own car accident!!! :rolleyes: It's something "natural" that I do. I don't think, I just react to emergency situations. One time, even was holding a victim's neck while they used the jaws of life to extract a victim out of a car!
Well, I met a friend at an outdoor motorcycle sales event this afternoon. Minding my own business, when we went into the bathroom. That is where we discovered a woman who was "passing" out and was having a low blood sugar episode! At first I thought she was tossing cookies! I went and got help and tried to find her husband. She had donated blood and I got the blood mobile people to help her. By the time I got back, the woman had passed out on my friend!!! :eek: 3 ladies were holding her up! The good news is that she did receive help and was okay. They cooled her down and got her something to drink.
Now, I am thinking... Was this a sign from God? Was he telling me something? Do I drop my whole career for the last 15 years and go into this field? I'm scared but excited when I think about being an official "EMT". However, it sounds like God has plans for me. Do you reckon it's time for some of that "blind faith" I hear about all the time? :confused:

Catty1
05-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Well, here is a twist on the old "flip-a-coin" trick:

Make your heads/tails decision. Flip the coin. Watch which way up it lands.

AND NOTICE YOUR IMMEDIATE GUT REACTION to whether heads or tails comes up.

I've heard folks say that your gut is where God talks. Follow that.

hugs
Catty1

Karen
05-20-2006, 10:11 PM
As I have always said, the Lord acts in mysterious ways, but sometime's God's a subtle as a 4x4 upside the head. I think today was one of those! Do it! The world always needs people with EMT skills and training.

Laura's Babies
05-21-2006, 08:24 AM
I find He leads us where we need to be and He has a plan for us all.

Have you checked into the EMT school? If that is something you really want to do, what is holding you back? The thing is that we only get one go round in this life so do what you WANT to do so there are no regrets.

cocker_luva
05-21-2006, 10:17 AM
yep, to not do anymore good deeds! lol...

AJ and i tried to rescue a cat, and he didnt want anything to do with us, so we had to take him back to the firestation.

I tried to return a cellphone to the owner after she lost it and i could never successfully meet up with her, then the phone died.

so whoever is up there doesnt seem to want me to do any good deeds... for me its a waste of time. lol :p :D :rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
05-21-2006, 02:02 PM
One thing I've learned is never ask God a question unless you are sure you want an answer!!! And he doesn't always answer in the way you expect him too.

If a year ago, someone would have told me I would be in a nice new comfortable home, I would have said, yea sure! :rolleyes:

Well, here I am after my entire world turned upside down and I really thought I'd die before I got moved.

I do remember one day telling God I was so sick of living the way I was. I was tired of being cold in the winter and hot in the summer with everything falling apart. Well, now I have central air and heat and not a pipe or faucet drips or leaks and not one of the ceilings is falling on my head. I no longer have to be careful which board to step on to keep from falling through the floor. Plus, I have been surprised by all the flowers and things here. For the first time I realized I can enjoy a house!!! not just exist in one. :D

I have been blessed beyond my wildest imagination!!! :D

By the way, not everyone can be an EMT. I faint at the sight of anyone's blood. Seems you have a gift for it. I'd sure look into it. :)

Scooby4
05-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Good for you Mommaofmany faces! So glad to hear your story!!! It's very positive. I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity building homes for people often in your circumstance. I always took it for granite about the homes I worked on. It was just another project to do that I enjoyed doing.
Then I met people like you, and I realized how much of a difference the homes and the volunteers make! It puts things into "perspective" and makes everyone want to work harder on the homes making sure it is blessed and built well.
I am working on trying to be a "house leader" on an "All women's build" for Habitat in the next few months. I can't wait! I am sure to "share" part of your story to the volunteers that will be with me for encouragement! :) Thank you! Things can only go up for you from here!!!

moosmom
05-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Scooby4,

I worked as a Paramedic for a long time, starting out as an EMT first (total of 20 years service). I loved it so much, I decided take it a step further and become a Paramedic.

That kind of work isn't for everyone either, just to let you know. It requires a strong stomach, lifting ability and a strong will. You will see anything and everything. If you don't mind blood and guts, then you're half way there. I would suggest that maybe riding with a volunteer ambulance service first. That'll give you an idea what you're in for and what the job entails.

Getting there is another thing. It takes determination, structure and above all discipline. You'll have classes, practical sessions, clinical duty (where you have to put in a certain amount of hours in the Emergency Room) and most of all STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!!! Once all that is over, you'll take a final test (it's a state test mostly multiple choice) AND practicals (to show them you know what you're doing).

Now, here's the deal. I have the newest books (including the workbook and CD) that are brand spanking new. I'm willing to send them to you if you're serious about this.

Do what your gut instincts tell you. You'll never go wrong. THAT is a promise. ;)

Scooby4
05-23-2006, 01:54 PM
I have checked into the EMT courses. Unfornately, I am unemployed right now and today is the LAST day for registration. It's going to cost me atleast $1,200 for the one semester course. Plus I need to have insurance and some TB test ran to qualify. They also require you to purchase an additional "liability" insurance policy. All of which I can not afford this time around.
My brother was an EMT. He told me many stories and they weren't pretty. I am one of those people who can stand to watch surgeries on the health channel. Ironically, the ONLY one that makes me ill to watch is the knee microscoptic surgery and it is the least bloodiest!!! :o Don't ask me why I can watch major surgery but not the minor stuff!
Good thing on becoming a paramedic. I don't think I am ready to take it that far yet. I don't like giving shots to people. Makes me nervous.
I've been doing and studying first aid procedures since I was 11 years old. My mother practiced on me when she was studying. My father encouraged me to become a nurse. So first aid response is in my blood. I think that has to be if you ever think about getting into being an EMT. It isn't for everyone!