PDA

View Full Version : Who Keeps Doing this?

catnapper
05-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Every day this week, and I mean EVERY DAY, someone has pooped on the carpet in the front room. Last night, before bed I made triply sure that the box was perfectly scooped and clear. What did I find first thing? Poop by the front door. Someone isn't even trying to make the box, which is a good 5 feet away. :mad:

I have NO idea who it might be. All I know is it upsets Pouncer because as soon as he sees it, he runs into the room and tries to cover it (and he's covered it with some interesting items..... an emory board, a sock, a Post-it note, etc). It can't be Allen because.... well trust me, its not Allen. That leaves Harry and the girls. Flutter has a history of doing that as a kitten.

The poop is a nice solid, regular poop. Nothing to indicate illness. I've cleaned it up and used enzyme cleaner afterwards so there shouldn't be any residual odor to promote repeat offences in the same spot.

The litter is clean. Its not higher or lower than normal. Any ideas?

BastetsMum
05-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Could it be separation anxiety? Bastet throws up if she is locked in one room for too long and hears our voices. I sometimes have to close the door to the spare bedroom with her in it if I need to do something that doesn't involve pets being curious (such as mopping floors).

Do you get other cat visitors? Has there been another cat marking its territory on your front door?

To be honest, I am not sure as to why they would want to do it at the front door.

Laura's Babies
05-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I have no idea who is doing that and no suggestions except that you start watching them close about the time that happens and see if you can catch who it is.

I have been having some litter box issues with Amy this whole time off and I started watching her real close to make sure it was her "going" on the bathroom floor. I was surprised to find out, when she has to "go" she has tale tale signs... She walks closer to the walls, behing everything she can get behind on her way to the bathroom. Then I started working on what litter box to use and what litter she would use.. I discovered the fine grain stuff, with her wobbeling and tremors, she only sinks into it and can't get her footing using that.. I got the cheap ole cat tidy and she hasn't used the floor since.. (knocks on wood)

catmandu
05-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Mice?

K & L
05-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Fear to go to the litter box? I'm having this issue with Shadow. Every day I have to carry to the litter box, close the door, let her do her business, then carry her out. Are you having any bullying issues?

jazzcat
05-20-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't have any nuggets of knowledge but just want to say sorry and good luck.

*JTM*Coco*pi*Caramel*
05-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't know either but maybe just try to catch who is doing it.
Sorry to hear about this and good luck!

PS-I know what you mean by covering "it" with interesting things lol! Sometimes when Caramel has an accident I find strange things on top of it or even on top of his food dish after he has finished eating! Post-it notes are his favorite as well as stray pieces of papertowel or slippers :o

jenluckenbach
05-20-2006, 03:11 PM
It is probably Lucas....(oh, that is at MY house. :o )

2 questions.
--is this in your kitchen directly inside your inner door?
--have you been closing that inner door lately? (remember, you were going to try to prevent a certain door dasher?)

If the answers are YES, then I think you are being given a statement about these new arrangements.

If the answers are NO........I'll kep thinking. ;)

catnapper
05-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Jen, the room the are pooping in is the front room -- opposite side of the house from the kitchen. Here's what I'm thinking: someone has pooped on the carpet by the front door every day this week (established this factoid already ;)) and the litterbox was FULL to capacity. Typically, there's only one, maybe two poopies in any given box when I go to scoop. The past week, there's been at least 3 or 4 poops in there. This morning there were two very "soggy" poops. Why is everyone so interested in this one box all of the sudden? They have 5 others ot choose from! Anyway, is it possible that the last cat to come along to use this box for poopies determines it too full and decides they don't want to hold it long enough to get to another box (which is a whole room away)

Its got me confused because day #1 seemed like Flutter in size . Day #2 was much larger (maybe Pouncer?) Day #3 larger and smellier (reminiscent of Harry) and day #4 was different yet. Can they all be taking turns being last in the box?

rg_girlca
05-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh gosh Kim, I have no clue as to what could be going on. I can only imagine that it must be so frustrating for you as to why this is happening all of a sudden. I hope that you are able to find out who the culprit is and a solution to it all will soon be found.

I keep 3 litter boxes in a row and two in my room as I noticed a few of my guys will not poop and pee in the same box. Especially Nugget, he will pee in one box, cover it up, hop out and go to the next box to do his poop. Strange, strange kitties. :rolleyes:

((((((HUGS))))))

Craftlady
05-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd put another litter box in or near where the pooping has occured in that front room.

jenluckenbach
05-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Is there a box in that front room? Maybe they would like one there??

Now think about which box is the most used and try to think why a cat would prefer it over the others? larger? deeper? more secluded? closer to where they sleep? Any way, you get the idea. If you can speculate what it is they like about this favorite box, maybe you can duplicate that situation somewhere else in the house.

Craftlady
05-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Is there a box in that front room? Maybe they would like one there??

Now think about which box is the most used and try to think why a cat would prefer it over the others? larger? deeper? more secluded? closer to where they sleep? Any way, you get the idea. If you can speculate what it is they like about this favorite box, maybe you can duplicate that situation somewhere else in the house.

With an extra roll of Charmin :) Sorry couldnt resist :D

catnapper
05-20-2006, 10:24 PM
That box has been the #1 box for a while. There is another box no more than 20 feet from the first box, and another box a few feet further from the second box. It used to be in the livingroom next to the fireplace and I moved it over a month ago into the front room. No problems related to the move in the least, in fact I think they like it more in the new location (I know I do). It is more secluded in there.

I DO think there might be some truth to the idea of another cat. The front room is actually a small enclosed porch. I've seen a few strays try to make their home under the porch over the years, and I TRY to get their trust but they run off never to be seen again. Anyway, Flutter will sit for HOURS and stare at the door, once last week I actually quickly opened the door ot see what might be on the other side.... perhaps we have a kitty visitng us?

They put the Littermaid automatic litterbox on clearance at work today -- $189 down to $54 plus my discount... I seriously contemplated it.

Catty1
05-20-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't get it...what would an Automatic Litter Box do for this situation???

I wonder if getting some enzymatic deodorizer and doing the whole area by the door(and outside the door) would help? Someone is picking up someone else's odor, maybe?

Hope you get this figured out!

hugs
Catty1

catnapper
05-21-2006, 12:53 AM
I don't get it...what would an Automatic Litter Box do for this situation???

Nothing outside its somethign I thought might help since the litter is always scooped, so nobody would have to be the 3rd cat into the box to poop.

I've enzyme cleaned the heck out of the floor. Steamcleaned the carpets too. I never thought to clean outside the steps too -- will get there this week.