PDA

View Full Version : 2006 California Motor Vehicle's Handbook Updates

pnance
05-19-2006, 11:40 PM
DMV: California
2006 Motor Vehicle's Handbook Updates
New Regulations in the California Division of Motor Vehicle's 2006 Handbook are as follows:

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A confident California Driver avoids using them.

2. Under no circumstance should you maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, because the space will be filled in by somebody else, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the less chance you have of getting hit.

4. WARNING! Never come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will result in your being rear-ended.

5. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork, especially with Mexican or out-of-state plates. With no insurance, the other operator probably has nothing to lose.

6. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a vigorous, foot massage as the brake pedal violently pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to strengthen your leg muscles.

7. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to prevent other drivers from entering the highway.

8. Speed limits are arbitrary figures; given only as a suggestion and are not enforceable in California during rush hour.

9. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.

10. Always brake and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. This is seen as a sign of respect for the victim.

11. Learn to swerve abruptly without signaling. California is the home of high-speed slalom-driving, thanks to the Department of Transportation, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them alert.

12. It is tradition in California to honk your horn at cars in front of you that do not move three milliseconds after the light turns green.

13. To avoid injury in the event of a collision or rollover, it is important to exit your vehicle thru the windshield right away. Wearing your seat belt will only impede your hi-velocity escape from danger.

14. Remember that the goal of every California driver is to get ahead of the pack by whatever means necessary.

15. In California, 'flipping the bird' is considered a polite salute. This gesture should always be returned.

Thank You,
The California Division of Motor Vehicles

RedHedd
05-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Aha! So that explains it. I am SO behind the times! I actually use turnsignals, seat belts and stop at red lights. I'm amazed I haven't gotten a ticket! :D

My current personal pet peeve are those Californian's who don't know the new law - when it's raining and your windshield wipers are on, your headlights MUST be on too. Of course it does make it easier for other drivers to see you when your headlights are on, which may be why they don't do it. :rolleyes:

sandragonfly
05-20-2006, 01:37 PM
haha.

actually, I miss california's highways & laws! I think this belongs to new york. :p

I agree with you, reddhedd, sky dims when rains - lights on!!

RICHARD
05-20-2006, 03:09 PM
5. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork, especially with Mexican or out-of-state plates. With no insurance, the other operator probably has nothing to lose.

Why is this so timely? ;) :confused:

Edwina's Secretary
05-20-2006, 07:35 PM
What about the rule of NEVER tying down any load being carried....furniture and other household goods...ladders, buckets, shovels and other hardware? This ensures a constant flow of items on the highway to create hazards....

Barbara
05-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Not hazards, but challenges to test your reflexes.
BTW I thought these rules were German law ;)

davidpizzica
05-22-2006, 03:31 AM
You have just described Pittsburgh drivers to a "T"!

DJFyrewolf36
05-22-2006, 04:38 AM
LOL having just been on the funhouse of CA freeways...

:D California drivers are kind of their own breed (the bad ones are anyhow)

RICHARD
05-22-2006, 07:21 PM
What about the rule of NEVER tying down any load being carried....furniture and other household goods...ladders, buckets, shovels and other hardware? This ensures a constant flow of items on the highway to create hazards....

Listen to the news/traffic reports in the area around the first of the month.Everyone moves and you hear about some funny crap on the roads!

moosmom
05-23-2006, 11:54 AM
How about driving with your signal light on forever to confuse the other drivers.

Remind me to FLY to California if I ever want to visit. :rolleyes:

pnance
05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Listen to the news/traffic reports in the area around the first of the month.Everyone moves and you hear about some funny crap on the roads!

A radio station down here once counted how many ladders they reported on in their traffic report for a month. Turned out it was a minumum of one per day usually more. :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
05-24-2006, 12:06 AM
A radio station down here once counted how many ladders they reported on in their traffic report for a month. Turned out it was a minumum of one per day usually more. :eek:

I try and explain this Californian tradition to folks back east but they just don't believe me. Why bother buying a ladder? Just wait for the traffic report!

pnance
05-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I try and explain this Californian tradition to folks back east but they just don't believe me. Why bother buying a ladder? Just wait for the traffic report!

You even get options, Hwy 163 has a metal ladder, Hwy 8 a wood, etc.....just pick the appropriate highway it's like shopping at a drive through Home Depot.. ;)

Lady's Human
05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
:D

Though there is one city that I had to laugh at that's NOT in caleefornia.

Driving through Cleveland on the interstate, I came upon signs that state :

"In a fender bender? Please move your vehicles out of the travel lane"

These weren't billlboards, these were DOT highway signs. Hmmmm, let's see, I had a fender bender, so I think I'll sit here in the passing lane and block traffic until cops get here?

Daisy and Delilah
05-24-2006, 07:12 AM
LOL :D
That's a perfect description of driving in Florida too :)