PDA

View Full Version : Self Tanners

MariaM
05-19-2006, 09:52 AM
What kind do you guys use? I want to get one, but I have no idea what kind I should get. I have very fair skin (that's usually red, I think I have rosatia or something). Should I even bother trying? I was thinking it'd be nice to get a real light tan, but I don't know.

What kinds do you guys recommend?

caseysmom
05-19-2006, 09:57 AM
I have used clinique before and it was pretty good. I bought my daughter one, I think neutrogena and it made her orange.

Cataholic
05-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Pasty white and PROUD! :D

So, I say skip it. :p

Lizzie
05-19-2006, 10:15 AM
I've used Aveda and found it worked well and gave me a good colour, a lightly tanned shade. I only used it on my legs because for some reason, they take the longest by far to tan. I wore white shorts the day after I used the self-tanner, on a very hot day, and I did find some of the colour on the edge of the shorts.

JenBKR
05-19-2006, 10:28 AM

Me too! I have no problem with my 'white as a ghost' complexion ;)

catnapper
05-19-2006, 10:56 AM

EXACTLY what I was going to say. I was reading a magazine in the doctor's office yesterday and basically every other page was a different ad for a different sunless tanner. I was rolling my eyes because those girls in the ads didn't lok all that fabulous to me. Personally, I like clear, porcelain white skin. It usually is beautiful on its own.

If you really want a little sunkissed look, a little bronzer goes a long way, AND looks much nicer than those sunless tanners.

Queen of Poop
05-19-2006, 11:05 AM
It is really hard to get the lotion/spray on evenly so you tend to end up darker in some places than others. Or like my MIL, with streaks, but I couldn't bear to tell her. Lots of the tanning salons here in Calgary do the spray application so might want to look into that, I expect it would be more even coloring than doing it yourself.

JenBKR
05-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Lots of the tanning salons here in Calgary do the spray application so might want to look into that, I expect it would be more even coloring than doing it yourself.

Oh haha funny story about that - for my sister's wedding she and I decided to get the spray tan to get a little color. Mine almost completely washed off by the day of the wedding (I had gotten it done the day before) but her's looked pretty good. you can still see it too.....all over the inside of her wedding dress :eek:

Queen of Poop
05-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Oh haha funny story about that - for my sister's wedding she and I decided to get the spray tan to get a little color. Mine almost completely washed off by the day of the wedding (I had gotten it done the day before) but her's looked pretty good. you can still see it too.....all over the inside of her wedding dress :eek:

That is the problem I've found with the self tanners, they tend to rub off on things you don't want them to rub off on. Some of them come with colored lotion now so you can see where you're putting them, which might work better for not getting streaks.

RedHedd
05-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Nothing wrong with wanting a little color this time of year. I use L'Oreal Sublime Bronze cream (in the tube). They have two different shades and many different formulas - gel, cream and towlettes, but I find the cream to be the easiest to apply and the most economical. It's tinted so you can actually see what you're doing and it goes on smoothly. The "tan" develops slowly into a beautiful golden color that lasts longer than the others I've tried.

For something more subtle, go with L'Oreal's new Sublime Glow, which is a much more subtle "tan" that develops slowly. Jergens, Valesline Intensive Care and some drugstore brands also have come out with these "glow" products. Their "tan" is much more subtle than the stuff that's labeled "self tanner." HTH

anna_66
05-19-2006, 01:50 PM
What I've personally found to be the best is Bain de Soleil Streakguarde Foam. It's natural looking and fast drying and usually doesn't rub off on all my clothes or turn me orange!

zippy-kat
05-19-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm using lancome's Flash Bronzer. AWESOME stuff in my opinion. No streaks, no orange, no rub-off, quick dry time, smells good, and shimmers! I've found that you have to apply it about 2x a wk, though as it fades kinda quick.

Roxyluvsme13
05-19-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm naturally tanned :D. Plus, I tan pretty easy, and I hardly ever sunburn, sorry for not helping, but I find alot of those tanners ot make you go ORANGE!

jackie
05-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Jergens makes a great one. I always review products on Makeupalley.com. Check it out for recommendations.

buttercup132
05-19-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm naturally tanned in the summer. I used a tanner one time tho and had a allergic reaction to it. I dont remeber what it was but it didnt work very well I think it might have been nutragena

sammy101
05-19-2006, 09:57 PM
I use Jergens Lotion (http://www.jergens.com/products/index.asp?action=viewProduct&id=15). It actually works pretty good.I like it!

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I used that only ONCE :rolleyes: . It was for my sister's wedding! I had "done" my neck...... :eek: It was "striped", so I looked like an orange tabby there :eek: . I scrubbed my neck with a heavy duty sponge, and got most off; but oh my, my skin was hurting!! :rolleyes:

Fender963
05-20-2006, 07:15 PM
I've had great success with L'oreal's sublime bronze. Doesn't leave you streaky at all.

MariaM
05-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Hmmm I looked at the reviews and came up with these 2 products...

Jergens Natural Glow Face Moisturizer

and

L'Oreal Sublime Glow

Does anyone know if these are available in Canada?
I think the Jergens one would be, but I'm not sure about the L'Oreal.
Does anyone know how much they are?

pitc9
05-22-2006, 01:22 PM
I love neutrogena foam.