PDA

View Full Version : Pet Talk Stories, Episode 1: The Reprieve

Mystery Pet Talker
05-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Pet Talk Stories, Episode 1: The Reprieve

The first in a continuing series of short stories inspired by Pet Talk. Just for fun.

Dr. Carter found herself in a small waiting room. It didn’t seem like a physician’s office. The receptionist was avoiding looking at her. None of the usual diplomas or licenses were on the walls.

In fact, Dr. Carter realizes, she has no idea where she is. The last thing she remembers is going to bed. Was that last night?

A buzzer bought her head up.

“You can go in now,” said the receptionist without looking at her.

Dr. Carter stood and went to the door. What did she have to lose? Hopefully, the missing memory mystery would be solved and she could go home. Furthermore, she mused to herself, there’s only one door, so I don’t have a choice, do I?

Opening the door, she stepped into another room with someone sitting behind a desk. Dr. Carter could not tell immediately if the person was a he or a she. A soft contralto asked her to sit down and a hand waved her to the chair in front of the desk.

“A psychiatrist, perhaps?” she thought. She noticed that there was no way out except the way she came in.

She sat down in the chair, which was surprisingly comfortable and looked at her host.

“Guess I’d better let her do the talking first,” she mused. And then wondered why she decided this person was female.

“You can call me Meg, if that helps you feel comfortable,” the woman said as she began rifling through papers on her desk.

“Thanks,” said Dr. Carter.

“I see that you were a vet.”

“Yes. 45 years. Retired now.”

“Hmm.”

“What’s it to you?” she wondered. Then she took a deep breath. Being testy wasn’t going to help the situation. She didn’t even know what the “situation” was.

Meg continued. “You did lots of work for rescue organizations, didn’t you? Almost your entire career.”

Dr. Carter sat a little straighter. She was proud of her volunteer work.

“Also, two lovely girls and five grandchildren. A forty-year marriage.”

Dr. Carter smiled. “Would you like to see pictures? I have some right here...” Her voice trailed off as she realized she didn’t have her purse. Meg smiled slightly and returned her attention to the papers.

“I see here that you declawed cats for those forty-five years.” Meg returned her attention to Dr. Carter.

“Well, I was a full-service vet.” Dr. Carter tried to keep from sounding defensive and wasn’t sure it was working. Then, “What is this about anyway and where am I?”

Meg sat back and folded her hands on the desk.

“Dr. Carter, this is your judgment day. I am not, of course, your judge, but simply a facilitator.”

A while later, Meg resumed. “So, about this business of declawing cats. Why would someone like you engage in cruelty-for-hire?”

Now Dr. Carter really began to panic. “But declawing made it possible for many cats to live in good homes...live indoors where they’d be safe.”

“As a high-profit margin procedure, it also added considerably to your annual income, didn’t it?”

“My annual income put two children through college,” Dr. Carter retorted. “It also let me provide free service for needy families.”

“Take it easy for a minute, would you?”

Dr. Carter sat back in her chair and tried to relax. Meg pressed her fingertips together and closed her eyes. A few seconds passed and she reopened them.

“Well, that was quicker than usual.”

Dr. Carter put her hand up to her mouth. She was going to cry, but nothing came out.

“You’ve been given a second chance. See you next time.”

The tugging awakened Dr. Carter. Opening her eyes, she saw Suzy, her granddaughter.

“Mommy says come to dinner.”

“I’m alive! I’m back!” she thought. “I’ve been given a second chance. I’ll make the most of it, she promised to herself. I’ll find a way to make up for the declawing since everyone was so focused on it.”

Dr. Carter reached out to pat Suzy and gasped as it took slightly longer to reach Suzy than it should have and ended with a jolt of pain.

She pulled her hands back before her eyes. The ends of her fingers were gone. Gone! She started grasping where her fingertips should be but there were only stumps...and they were painful.

“Grandma, Mommy says you shouldn’t do that any more. You should get over it. Come to dinner.”

With her eyes closed, Dr. Carter breathed deeply and got herself under control. “Yes,” she thought, “they gave me what they thought I deserved. Maybe I do deserve it. But I will cope. I’ve got my eyes, my hearing, and my family. I’m OK.”

Opening her eyes, she saw Suzy eyeing her impatiently. “OK, dear. I’m coming.”

Dr. Carter stood and then fell over as she had no toes.

slick
05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Hmmmmm, very interesting and food for thought. I think I know who you are....not quite sure.

So, when is Episode 2?

lizbud
05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
A bit weird don't you think.

jenluckenbach
05-18-2006, 06:00 PM
interesting.

LoudLou
05-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Very Twilght Zone... Outer Limits.

Laura's Babies
05-18-2006, 06:18 PM
HUmmmmmmmm..... a strange take on that but to the point and hits hard!

Roxyluvsme13
05-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Weird..and a bit confusing..Where's Chapter 2?!?!?

gini
05-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Hmmmm, what a shame she didn't get it "first time around"...........

Zippy
05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Odd very Odd but gets the point across none the less.Were is chp.2 ???

Cataholic
05-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Eh, I don't really care for it. As a reformed declawer, it didn't take such graphics for me. Just education. And, I find it a bit offensive with some of the recent medical events in my family.

:(

moosmom
05-19-2006, 10:12 AM
I thought it was pretty interesting. It gave the perspective on declawing and how a HUMAN would feel having it done to them.

I am also a reformed declawer. LOOOONG before I understood the pain and agony a cat goes through declawing, I had Mollie Rose and RB Casey "Bubba Dude" declawed. When they came back from the surgery and I saw the bloody paws, I got down on my knees and begged for their forgiveness. NEVER, EVER again!!!

Miss Z
05-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Wow, that's kind of spooky! But definitely gets the point across about declawing.

shais_mom
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
wow
I have more to say but can't really put it into words so I better not.

Vermontcat
05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Interesting story.
So when do we find out who you really are Mystery Pet Talker?
And are you really from the "Land of Mists" or are you from somewhere in the USA, like Oregon perhaps?

catnapper
05-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Strange - I had an initial inclination as to who this Mystery PTer might be, perhaps California. Now I'm not sure. Hmmmmmmmm.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
IMHO this belongs in the Dog House. It is well written and thought provoking, but not all of us like to be confronted with graphic info re declawing without a bit of prior warning.

anna_66
05-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Woah, weird but very interesting.

I'm one that likes a little of the odd so I enjoyed reading it. I hope there will be more.

Anita Cholaine
05-19-2006, 03:32 PM
weird... I don't who you are, Mystery PTer, but I found what you wrote very interesting.