PDA

View Full Version : This dentist may know his patients, but he sure doesn't know cats!!!

moosmom
05-18-2006, 09:47 AM
:mad: :mad: I very nicely called the dentist(owner of Fluffy and Midnight) to ask him if he would allow me to take Fluffy (at my OWN expense, mind you) to the vet and have her "saddlebags" shaved so that her skin could heal. He said no. :mad: He asked me if they were sores and I told him no, that the mats were so heavy, it was tearing her skin.

He told me that when he took her to the vet some 8 years ago :eek:, the vet told him that she had some kind of virus or skin condition that clears up once she sheds her winter coat.

He also asked me again to stop feeding them, as his exterminator told him his building is infested with mice. UGH!!!!! :mad: I told him I only feed them at night, and it's crunchies and some water, which they need. He said that in the garage is a continuous feeder and beds for them.

I wish I could make them go "POOF". My rescue friend told me to just take her and have her shaved. I told her I didn't want to get sued. She also told me to ask him if they are up to date on their shots, which I didn't. He'd probably lie about it anyway. She said when push comes to shove, report him for neglect. Now, if I do THAT, he's gonna know it was me who ratted him out.

There's really not much more I can do. :( I flatly refuse to NOT feed them. Cats hunt mice for the hunt, not for food. It breaks my heart to see the sores, but he claims that once she sheds her winter coat, her new one will be beautiful. Maybe once that comes in she'll allow me to brush her and keep up with the mats.

Why are people like that???? :( :(

aki
05-18-2006, 09:51 AM
It's too bad you can just catnap them both. Poor kitties! :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-18-2006, 10:28 AM
If the last time he took her to the vet was 8 years ago, there is NO way she is up to date on her shots. Unfortunately, at this point, if anything happens to these cats he's going to suspect you. I would report him to the local Humane Society. So he'll know it's you that reported him, so what? He can't sue you for reporting neglect. Come on, Donna, I know you have more shutz puh! ;) :D :cool: :p :D

moosmom
05-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah Deb, I do, as you WELL know.

Well, I called New Haven Animal Control. I explained the entire situation to them, told them that both cats were healthy and my main concern was their vaccinations being up to date against other animals out there whose vaccinations aren't. She ASSURED me the cats would not be confiscated. They're going to pay the dentist a little visit and ask him to show them vet records proving the cats are up to date on their shots, or provide a vet phone number so they can confirm it. They promised me I will remain anonymous. Yeah right, like he's not gonna know it's me.

Why do I feel so bad?? I DO hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the butt. (i.e., revenge on his part)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Atta girl. Now that's the Donna I know. :D

Queen of Poop
05-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Good for you for doing something about those kitties. 8 years is a long time to go without seeing the vet. Why does he have them? Doesn't sound like he does much for them.

Lizzie
05-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Good for you for doing something about those kitties. 8 years is a long time to go without seeing the vet. Why does he have them? Doesn't sound like he does much for them.

He has them because they are useful to him and that's all. I'm really pleased that Donna has contacted someone about these cats even though, as she said, it may come back at her. This guy is more likely to take Animal Control seriously than another "crazy cat lady" which is the way most people dismiss us - fools!

Craftlady
05-18-2006, 11:38 AM
What will they do once the records (or lack of) show these cats arent up to date on shots?

Donnaj4962
05-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Good for you... making the initial call to the dentist had to be hard. But once you heard what he had to say, I am sure the call to the Humane Society was not as difficult! (I know it wouldn't have been for me!)

I understand what you are going through. I had some issues with neighbors a few months ago, and was afraid to do anything due to possible retaliation. Well, once I finally got the nerve to call the apt. owners, they informaed me that I was not the only person with complaints! Maybe that is the way this situation is????

Anyway, you are looking out for sweet little creatures who deserve a better life and a more comfortable life. Poor little ones. I would back you up if I lived closer!

You go girl!

moosmom
05-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Because I didn't want to cause the idiot any embarassment in front of his patients by having someone pay him a visit during his working hours, I called the Animal Control back and asked that they call him and ask about the vaccination records and get a vet number to verify it.

Craftlady,

IF the cats are NOT vaccinated, he'll be given a citation and be required to have them vaccinated immediately, sending a copy of the certification to the City of New Haven as proof.

I will never forgive myself if something happens to Fluffy and Midnight. :(

Laura's Babies
05-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Yea, he may want to dump them somewhere rather than pay for the care they are suppose to have... I think they need to go look at the sores on the kitties too and require they be treated also!

moosmom
05-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Nah, I don't think he'd do that. He's had them for over 14 years now.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Hopefully if he does anything, he comes knocking on your door, Donna, and takes you up on your offer. ;)

moosmom
05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I won't hold my breath, Deb.

Lizzie
05-18-2006, 03:57 PM
I don't want to worry you, I'm sure you are doing that anyway, but how will you know if he takes them off to a shelter? He's used these cats as exterminators for the past 14 years, at very low cost to himself. Now they are pretty much at the end of their useful years and starting to become a nuisance in that people are asking questions about their care. I can't see someone like this paying for vaccinations if they are not "paying for their keep".

You did the right thing, no question about that, but this bloke seems clinical and cold about his cats' care. I'm beginning to hope he ends up in a retirement home where they won't cut his hair or clip his toenails. :D

catmandu
05-18-2006, 05:33 PM
I would have someone you know pick them up and then DENY, DENY, and DENY.
Thats what I did with Gary, and Scout the unspayed 9 month old from next door.
Kitten?
Sorry Miss only Older Cats come here, no Kittens.
Now shes spayed and in a 400,000 Dollar House.
And Garys in a really nice Condo.

moosmom
05-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Gary,

I so wish I could take them in myself, but they've been outdoor cats their entire lives. The sometimes LOOK like they want to come in for a visit. I've even put my cats in my room and then asked Mamacita and Midnight to come in, but they only go as far as the doorway and then change their minds. :(

Catty1
05-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Could you try temporarily isolating your girls, and carry Mamcita inside? Maybe when Fluffy sees her, she will come in too.

Just a thought.

Catty1

moosmom
05-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Not sure my roommate would go for it. HE'S tried to get them to come in and they only go as far as the doorway.

Besides, with Pumpkin arriving sometime in the near future, it'd be a little crowded and I'm sure, overwhelming for my cats.

carole
05-20-2006, 05:24 AM
Donna i completely understand about the cats not coming inside, once they are used to outdoors only it is very difficult and probably would really upset the cats and stress them majorly, I think you are doing the best you can for them and sometimes one can only do so much.

Gosh it is not even law here to vaccinate your cats, mind you we don't have rabies, so maybe that is why.

I know how difficult it can be in situations like this, having one similar going on with me as you know, one has to tread carefully for the sake of the cats,i know in NZ you can be prosecuted for leaving an animal to suffer,maybe they will see it that way with this kitty who knows.

I wish you all the best in your efforts and feel your fustration,you are limited to how much you can do. HUGS.

moosmom
05-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I went outside last night with a can of treats and shook them. BOTH of them came running. I put down 2 piles, one for each. Little did Fluffy know, I had a pair of scissors in my hands. While she chowed down, I snipped away. I got MOST of the hanging loose mats off of her (I could've created half a cat with what I clipped off). Her sores are healing okay. I'll just snip off the mats as they loosen up.

Sherrie, the paralegal downstairs from my apartment said that they BOTH came running over to her when she drove up this morning. She asked me if I gave Fluffy a haircut and I admitted that I did. She said she looks SO much better and is even more friendly than she was. I asked her if I could get sued by that jerk of a dentist if I took Fluffy and had her shaved and she said yes. Oh well. So much for THAT idea!

There's been ALOT of commotion in their "shelter" garage. The dumbass dentist is having his building renovated and the workers are storing their crap on the other side of the 2 car garage that serves as the cats home. Now they won't go near it. When I was sitting outside and the workers were putting their stuff away, BOTH cats came running over to me and sat between my legs, knowing I'd protect them. I'm so attached to them. The cats, not the workers. :p

Lizzie
05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Donna - do you know if Animal Control checked with him about the vaccinations? I'm very glad to hear that the sores are healing on Fluffy.

Donnaj4962
05-23-2006, 02:05 PM
I am so glad that you were able to get at least some of the mats off! Way to go Donna!

Keep us posted on what is happening. Has Animal Control been there yet that you know of?

moosmom
05-23-2006, 03:40 PM
No, they were actually going to call and ask him if their vaccinations are up to date and have him fax them the paperwork. Haven't gotten a nasty note on my door or anything, so either they didn't call him or he DOES have UTD records and that's the end of it.

I asked Animal Control to call him rather pay him a visit while he's got patients in his office. Don't need him losing any business cuz of me. Why am I such a nice person??

Laura's Babies
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Donna, I know from experience how heart wrenching it can be when you have neighbors that don't take care of their pets... given how many times I posted about Midnight/Samantha before it worked out for us. You just do as I did and do what you can without breaking the law.... and it is not enough for those of us who love them like we do, so it rips out our hearts.. How many times I had to hand over Midnight to that woman with her fighting and her eyes begging me not to make her go.....

It is just heart wrenching... I know.... I hope I never have to go through that again!