PDA

View Full Version : Some good news!

Sevaede
05-17-2006, 11:34 PM
The head of one of the animal welfare organizations here in town finally had a chance to email me back. She was dealing with some abuse cases this week and whatnot. She told me she would love to have us volunteer. I could foster two or three cats, help the elderly get their pets to the vet, etc. :D She said if there was anything specific that I was interested in doing that could be talked about as well. Then, she talked about Tiger Lily. This is what she had to say: "We do
take cats/kittens into the program, but they must be FeLV/FIP tested, vaccinated, and wormed. There is also a
waiting list at this time of year." So, that's pretty good news. I want to be able to foster her until she/we can find a home for TL. Oh, this organization has one of those store savings cards (You know, like an Albertsons card or whatever?) for one of the local stores (Kroger) and is sending one to me tomorrow! :D What it does is every time I make a purchase there and use the card, they will donate something like ten percent to Animal Welfare Inc (the organization that I've been talking about)!

Oh, some other awesome news? My father in law is out of town for almost a week! :D

CultureJunky
05-18-2006, 05:10 AM
That's excellent, I hope you have such a great time helping out.
It all sounds so wonderful, and I wish there was an animal shelter near me that I could volunteer at.

Laura's Babies
05-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Ahhh! I think helping the elderly get their pets to the vet is a GREAT idea but I don't know about that fostering with your father in law in the house. But boy, once you move out, you could foster all you want!

Catty1
05-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Maybe she can find someone to foster your FIL???

I realize you may not want to discuss him with the animal welfare...but reporting what he does, would that make you undesirable foster parents???

HUGS and congratulations on this!

Catty1

Donnaj4962
05-18-2006, 08:27 AM
I love that you are volunteering. I wish that I had the time. I try to take a bag of food to the local shelter as often as I can afford.

I work for a local Council on Aging, and one of the services we provide it transportation. Our main focus is to take seniors to medical appointments and to get groceries. But as time allows in the van schedules, we take seniors and their pets to the vets for appointments! We are all animal lovers and realze how important animals are to seniors. Another organization in town has a food delivery program which takes donated food to seniors' pets on a weekly basis! The senior may have to choose between their own food and their medications on a regular basis, but they will always know that their little furbaby is well taken care of in the food department! It's a great program!

Also, our local shelter has a "senior for seniors" program in which a senior can adopt an older pet for a lesser fee. I love that program also.

catmandu
05-18-2006, 09:01 AM
That Sounds Like The Animal Welfare Association In My Town In Hamilton.
They Do A Lot Of Very Good Work As Well.
And Thats Great That They Can Help With Tiger Lily.
They Sound Like Very Very Good People.

Sevaede
05-19-2006, 12:11 AM
That's excellent, I hope you have such a great time helping out.
It all sounds so wonderful, and I wish there was an animal shelter near me that I could volunteer at.

I am so sure that I will and thank you very much! :D

Sevaede
05-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Ahhh! I think helping the elderly get their pets to the vet is a GREAT idea but I don't know about that fostering with your father in law in the house. But boy, once you move out, you could foster all you want!

Yep, I thought the elderly and their pets idea was an aesome one. I am making a point to tell her that I won't be able to foster for a while! ;)

Sevaede
05-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Maybe she can find someone to foster your FIL???

I realize you may not want to discuss him with the animal welfare...but reporting what he does, would that make you undesirable foster parents???

HUGS and congratulations on this!

Catty1

HAHAHAHA! Maybe! :D

I don't think *we* would be undesirable just the situation and I would have to completely agree. Troy and I already came to that as the conclusion of our discussion of volunteering and fostering. We knew we didn't want to bring them here, as it would be so unfair for them, before we even started the ball rolling just because it would probably add to their stress. So, we're making it a point to tell her that we are not available to foster at this time but will be in the near future. :)

*hugs* and thanks! :D

Sevaede
05-19-2006, 12:24 AM
I love that you are volunteering. I wish that I had the time. I try to take a bag of food to the local shelter as often as I can afford.

I work for a local Council on Aging, and one of the services we provide it transportation. Our main focus is to take seniors to medical appointments and to get groceries. But as time allows in the van schedules, we take seniors and their pets to the vets for appointments! We are all animal lovers and realze how important animals are to seniors. Another organization in town has a food delivery program which takes donated food to seniors' pets on a weekly basis! The senior may have to choose between their own food and their medications on a regular basis, but they will always know that their little furbaby is well taken care of in the food department! It's a great program!

Also, our local shelter has a "senior for seniors" program in which a senior can adopt an older pet for a lesser fee. I love that program also.

Oh wow! All of that sounds so very wonderful! :D

Sevaede
05-19-2006, 12:28 AM
That Sounds Like The Animal Welfare Association In My Town In Hamilton.
They Do A Lot Of Very Good Work As Well.
And Thats Great That They Can Help With Tiger Lily.
They Sound Like Very Very Good People.

They are very good. They have so much stuff going on at some point or another for the benefit of folks' companions. :) I am very happy that they can help with this little cutie.

Here is their site: http://www.animalwelfareinc.org/