PDA

View Full Version : Belgian Tervurens

belterv
05-17-2006, 08:55 PM
:D HELLO DO YOU LIKE BELGIAN TERVURENS?
HAVE YOU HEARD OF THEM?
IF YOU HAVENT ( :eek: ) THEN YOU SHOULD LOOK THEM UP.
THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!

wolfsoul
05-17-2006, 09:11 PM
I have a groenendael. :) She might be bred to a tervuren.

belterv
05-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Wow :eek: She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to have a groendale/Newfy

his name was Bobbi he was huge

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-17-2006, 10:48 PM
I've heard of them, and absolutely love them. Not quite as much as I love the Groenendael, but almost. I will be getting a Belgian (preferably a Groen) in a few years, hopefully from Jordan (wolfsoul)...but if that doesn't work out I'll be getting one anyway but I'd rather get one from her than someone else..

wolfsoul
05-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Aw thanks Devan! I really hope you can get one from me too. :D

Thanks Belterv! Sandy is gorgeous too. :)

BOBS DAD
05-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Your dog is beautiful. He was really cute and funny looking as a pup too!!! I had never heard of them before... they sort of look like a cross between a Collie and a GSD to me! :D :D :D

BOBS DAD
05-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Aw thanks Devan! I really hope you can get one from me too. :D

Thanks Belterv! Sandy is gorgeous too. :)

Hi Wolfsoul,

I just saw this post and had seen your sigs before. I didn't realize or recognize the breed prior to now. I just looked up under AKC and was wondering if your Teruvian met their Color allowances?

Color
Body rich fawn to russet mahogany with black overlay. The coat is characteristically double pigmented wherein the tip of each fawn hair is blackened. Belgian Tervuren characteristically becomes darker with age. On mature males, this blackening is especially pronounced on the shoulders, back and rib section. Blackening in patches is undesirable. Although allowance should be made for females and young males, absence of blackening in mature dogs is a serious fault. Washed out, predominant color, such as cream or gray is to be severely penalized.

Chest is normally black, but may be a mixture of black and gray. A single white patch is permitted on the chest, not to extend to the neck or breast. Face has a black mask and the ears are mostly black. A face with a complete absence of black is a serious fault. Frost or white on chin or muzzle is normal. The underparts of the body, tail, and breeches are cream, gray, or light beige. The tail typically has a darker or black tip. Feet --The tips of the toes may be white. Nail color may vary from black to transparent. Solid black, solid liver or any area of white except as specified on the chest, tips of the toes, chin and muzzle are disqualifications.

Not that that is any big deal - unless you are showing. My dog Ginger is a full bred Beagle "and she meets nobody's color qualifications", yet she is the best dog/Beagle (and hunter) I've ever had. I can't enter her into any trials because she is immediately disqualified!

BOBS DAD
05-18-2006, 08:57 AM
OK... my bad!!! I didn't think she looked like the other Teruvians being posted. I guess I am just all confused... somewhere I picked up on Teruvians and you/your dog. No offense... I give you "1st place" on the Groenendael (Belgian Sheepdog) list!!! :D :D :D

shihtzulover850
05-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Your belgian is really pretty and smart. Do you ever show her? her name is cool to ;) :p

belterv
05-18-2006, 10:23 AM
That is what i thought to they have the body of a collie but the color of a GSD.

belterv
05-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Sandy is not her real name. Sandy is short for Cassandra. Sandy is her call name. She will be in a agility show soon for AKC.

SummerRiot
05-18-2006, 02:26 PM
I've got a Tervuren. Hes 10 months old right now :)

I have actually only met three other Tervurens in our area and one two Gronendaels. They defiantely aren't very popular :)

Here are my pups recnetly pictures..

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=104896&page=1&pp=15

His reg'd name is Ravenmasque Summer Riot RNCL aka Riot

He recnetly recieved his Rally Novice title with Cum Lade achievement. He was ONE POINT SHY of a Magnum Cum Lade! lol Oh well next time.

The Belgians are SUCH a wonderful breed to work with though! :) Definately NOT a breed for everyone!

*future vet*
05-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I've never met any, but I would love to! I think from what I've seen in the shows and Cassandra, they are beautiful!

labmomma
05-18-2006, 03:48 PM
I have a friend with a rescued Belgian Tervurin. It is aggressive and may bite you if you try to pet it. Also, you can't wear blue around this dog because it sets this particularly dog off. It's just fine with the owner but he has to get really used to you before you can trust it.
Labmomma

k9krazee
05-18-2006, 03:51 PM
I've met a few Tervs through agility trials, they are gorgeous dogs. But out of the Belgians my favorite is defiantely the Malinois!

cali
05-18-2006, 05:57 PM
he breeder of 2 of my dogs has groens and tervs, and I belive Happy is half sibling to a belgen/BC as one of there Groens got to Happys mom about a year before Happy was born. its not something they advertise on their website lol but I personally know one of the resulting pups. alot of the belgens I know have rather odd temperments though, very high strung and flighty, some downright nasty.

belterv
05-18-2006, 07:14 PM
We were thinking about gettion a malinois. They are cute to

wolfsoul
05-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Your belgian is really pretty and smart. Do you ever show her? her name is cool to ;) :p
Do you mean Visa? If you do, thanks, and yes I show her. :)

SummerRiot
05-18-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a friend with a rescued Belgian Tervurin. It is aggressive and may bite you if you try to pet it. Also, you can't wear blue around this dog because it sets this particularly dog off. It's just fine with the owner but he has to get really used to you before you can trust it.

It sounds like the person that originally bought the Belgian did not know how to properly socilize it. Belgians require an obseen amount of socilizing before they are 6 months old or they have extremely bad habits ie. biting, growling, shying away.

As I had stated before on a different thread, Belgians definately aren't for everyone! :) THey take a more experienced owner to handle them properly :)