PDA

View Full Version : Mama Dove And Her Baby

RobiLee
05-17-2006, 01:49 PM
My doves nested again and I was able to capture this picture of mama and one of the babies today. There are two babies. The other one is squeezed back in the back. It is the tiniest nest and I don't know how they are all in there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/Robilee/doves.jpg

Laura's Babies
05-17-2006, 01:50 PM
GREAT SHOT!! So sweet too.. A Mama and baby, just to sweet!

slick
05-17-2006, 02:01 PM
AWWWWWWW....Robin, that is just the sweetest thing I've ever seen. It's so amazing what nature can show us. Thanks for posting this. :)

anna_66
05-17-2006, 03:32 PM
More babies already? Wow she doesn't waste any time does she!
Love that picture!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Awww...

Great photo though!

As I was leaving for work today, there was a teeny tiny baby bunny on the sidewalk. I hated to open the door and scare him, but I wanted him to get back in the bushes and out of the middle of the sidewalk where he was so vulnerable. See....we have a hawk that we have seen dive right in those bushes and snag small birds already. A baby bunny in the middle of the sidewalk would have been prime pickings. :( He did jump in the bushes though when I opened the door. Smallest, cutest little baby bunny jumps I've ever seen. :D So hopefully momma bunny keeps him safe from now on. Oh, I didn't want to take the time to take a picture because he was so vulnerable, but he was no bigger than the palm of my hand. :D

ramanth
05-17-2006, 03:48 PM
So adorable! :D

Anita Cholaine
05-17-2006, 04:00 PM
That pic is adorable! :D Isn't it great to have birdies in your garden, and see them grow up?

BOBS DAD
05-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Very Nice Shot. I love it. I used to raise Pidgeons when I was a boy. I loved watching the whole process - from mating to egg laying and the first flight (out of the nest). Pidgeons and Doves are rather similar in their breeding/nesting habits. Couples mate for life, both sit their eggs and both feed fledglings (a regurgitated milk-like substance). They look like they are kissing with their beaks interlocked, but they are actually feeding.

When one of my hens would lay an egg I would start counting down the days until hatching - 18 days, I still remember. Ooohhh... what color will they be, what sex - it was all so exciting. 6 weeks in the nest anf "out you go". The birds actually build small nests on purpose (or instinctually anyway). This is to insure that about the 5-6 weeks period, there is "no longer any room in the nest" and helps to get them "out on time". And if the crowdings not enough, the hen will begin laying new eggs (as Pidgeons breed year round) even before they take their leap. Then she pushes them around and out of the way because she wants to start brooding all over.

Did you get to see the whole fledgling cycle. From the naked little giant headed newbies to the spike covered quills. I always loved the spiked quills stage - just before the feathers opened.

Anyways... I have a rabbit ) cottontail nesting on our hillside behind the house. I will have to take pics and show online sometime.

Alysser
05-17-2006, 06:23 PM
:D Great shot!

Chilli
05-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Wonderful picture! :D
I've always adored doves (and pigeons), there is just something about them. :)
You're so lucky to be able to watch them grow and all, there is only one bird nest around our house, and its too high off the ground for us to see anything.

Ginger's Mom
05-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Aw, that is a very sweet picture. Thanks for sharing that.

captain
05-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Robin,
I am so glad Mama bird came back to roost (told you!!!), and BOY, new Babies alread????? :eek:

Great shot with your NEW camera ...... ;)

Daisy and Delilah
05-18-2006, 07:04 AM
That picture is simply breathtaking Robin!! I love it. I think I'll use it as my desk top if you don't mind. :)

Lobodeb
05-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Awwww, your picture is making me miss my babies!

Great shot, Robin.

Lori Jordan
05-18-2006, 10:02 AM
That is precious i have seen doves,hear them in the morning but never have seen a baby one how sweet....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Anyways... I have a rabbit ) cottontail nesting on our hillside behind the house. I will have to take pics and show online sometime.
Yes, do! I saw my baby bunny again last night and he is just THE most adorable little thing! I wish I could get a good pic of him, but he keeps hopping away before I can - teeny tiny little baby hops. :D

cyber-sibes
05-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Nice picture, Robin!