PDA

View Full Version : Rottweiler Help

zoomer
05-16-2006, 08:38 PM
I will be showing and training a Rottie puppy in about a month or so. I need some information.

-Grooming
-Showing
-Standard
-Training to show
-Training obedience

Thanks!

luvofallhorses
05-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I hope this helps! http://www.akc.org/breeds/rottweiler/index.cfm you also must post pictures! :)

wolfsoul
05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Congrats! :)

As far as I know, rotties are wash and go dogs -- I don't believe they require alot of grooming for the show ring. I'd make sure to bathe him in something that strips the oil from the coat well -- rottweilers are supposed to have coarse hair. If you want to take out some of that hair, I'd just take a curry brush down the back and sides, but be careful to leave the hair on the neck and thighs. Does she have dark "penicil markings" on her toes? If she doesn't, you can colour that in.

I'm not sure if rotties are handstacked or naturally stacked in AKC. I believe they are handstacked. So you'll have to train the puppy to be able to hold still while you move his feet into place. What you can do over time is take his favourite treat and get someone to rub it up his back and down his legs while he holds still. If he holds still, treat him. Get lots of people to run their hands down his back and all over him (even in his "private area!" Lots of dogs HATE it when people touch down there. Visa's breeder ran into trouble with a judge one day and was disqualified. Marla knew that her dog disliked people touching his testicles so she treated him whenever the judge went down there -- one particlar judge, however, disagreed with treats in the ring, and when she fed him, he turned to her and said "DON'T FEED HIM!" Marla was taken aback and Jake, protecting her, attacked the judge. They were disqualified and Jake's show career ended). So make sure that the dog is comfortable being touched everywhere and in any situation, and always remember to study the judge well.

Alot of people don't train their dog to sit because they never want them to sit in the ring. I just have a command that I use for Visa to stand. It's easy enough to teach.

Hope that helped, good luck, take lots of pics. :) I only live right above you, maybe when I go for Visa's (or her baby's) Am. CH we will compete together!