PDA

View Full Version : Grooming....??

ashleycat
05-16-2006, 11:42 AM
You know those suction cup thingies that stick to both sides of the tub to tether dog to tub? Do those work well? or just for small dogs?

ALSO.. Charlie HATES I mean absolutely HATES the dryer. I've only tried once and he was basically screaming. So I have to just towel try as best as I can, then have him run outside. Is there any other easier ways to dry him? I have to muzzle him to get close to his head with the sprayer already.

And does anyone have one of those small trimmers like those personal trimmers? Are they good? I need to trim the hair in his paws.

Is the hair in the paws what makes his paws stink?

I've never personally trimmed him. Should I muzzle him just incase.. Even if it's just for the paws?

shihtzulover850
05-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I heard that the best way to get a dog used to a hair dryer is to turn it on to the lowest setting possible and lay it down away from the dog and just let them get used to it. Hug him and be calm with him but don't like try to spoil him if you get what I mean. :D

ashleycat
05-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I might have to get a diff hair dryer.cus mine is kinda loud. Are there quiet ones? I wonder if its the sound combined with the feeling of the air.

shihtzulover850
05-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah the noise freaks them out. He was also adopted from a shelter? that doesn't help either also some are probably quieter than others. But I don't think there is a specifically "quiet" hair dryer

Muddy4paws
05-16-2006, 01:43 PM
My guess is that if hes jumpy around sounds is that shaving his feet is a big job, I would suggest goin to a groomers and letting the scissor them for you, Is his feet knotty? is stuff gets caught in them it can make them smell but there was a post a few months ago about the smell of dogs feet ( ;) :D Crazy people here :p ) It's so easy to slice a dog with a trimmer if the dog isnt willing to stand up for you and if the dog is squirming about its makes it so much harder and scissoring should really be done only if you have 100% confidence in yourself and the dog you are working with which to be honest I dont think you do, I was the same a few years ago! I really dont mean that in a bad way but maybe it should be left to the "Nasty groomers" to do the feet instead of you because he trusts you and you dont want to mess that up with an accident.

Jessika
05-16-2006, 01:52 PM
dogs sweat through the bottom of their feet, so that can very well be the source of the stinkiness. ;)

Anyway you need to condition him to the dryer. Have it on the lowest setting, and lay it down. Have him inspect it. If he goes to investigate, PRAISE HIM!! I DO NOT recommend hugging him or reassuring him that "its ok!" because that will only tell him "hey, there IS something to be afraid of!" and will most assuredly make it worse.

The only way to get over it is to IGNORE the fearful behavior and condition him to it. Jamie was terrified of it at first, too, but we don't have a backyard for her to run around and dry off in so I towel dry her as MUCH as possible then use the dryer. Sometimes she still gets freaked and tries running off, but most of the time she just sits there now!

luvofallhorses
05-16-2006, 01:54 PM
You know those suction cup thingies that stick to both sides of the tub to tether dog to tub? Do those work well? or just for small dogs?

the shelter I volunteer at has those in the tub but it only works for puppies and small dogs..the big dogs usually pull them out when they jump out the tub. :rolleyes:

shihtzulover850
05-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Also licking the feet probably add to the smell

shihtzulover850
05-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Anyway you need to condition him to the dryer. Have it on the lowest setting, and lay it down. Have him inspect it. If he goes to investigate, PRAISE HIM!! I DO NOT recommend hugging him or reassuring him that "its ok!" because that will only tell him "hey, there IS something to be afraid of!" and will most assuredly make it worse. Yeah that is kinda what I meant to say. Just clarifying

mruffruff
05-17-2006, 11:11 AM
The tub leashes worked pretty well at our shelter. They have to be pushed down very firmly on each of the suction cups.

I have an electric trimmer for paws. I would rather use it than scissors on a squirmmy dog. The sound isn't as loud as a regular clipper. Mostly it tickles their toes if you don't press gently.

I solved the dryer problem by bathing the dogs just before bed, but after "last call'. That way they can dry naturally while they sleep with no upsets to them or me. I use several towels for each. And I add a couple of towels to their beds. It takes less work and time on my part, too.