PDA

View Full Version : Foxes

slleipnir
05-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Me and my dad were walking Jo out at our cottage, and when we were coming in we saw a fox. It was just staring at us, then it started to bark..er..whatever you would call it. (I didn't know they purred?! lol they have a weird 'bark' too) Then he kept doing that, and when we got closer to him he'd run a little, then keep doing that. Whenever we left, he followed us a little. Does anyone know what this behavior is? Could it maybe be a mother trying to lead us away from her young pups? Thats what it seemed like to me....

Karen
05-06-2002, 09:40 PM
I don't know what the behavior signifies, but I'd be very careful in that area, and not let Jo tangle with the fox, just in case the strange behavior is illness (like rabies) related.

Fox are usually very shy, that I do know.

wolf_Q
05-06-2002, 11:42 PM
Hmm that is strange. I've never encountered a fox, but I do know that like Karen said, they are shy creatures. Since I didn't see it I couldn't say, but I think both the mother leading away from den or illness related could be right. Animals are known to do anything to protect their young, but it is really odd for it to come up to you like that. I've heard of some animals like birds pretending they are wounded to get predators to come after them and away from the nest. The fox couldn't possibly be one somebody had tamed could it?

sabies
05-07-2002, 09:50 AM
That is strange. I would think if the fox was protecting babies it would be hostile towards you and your post makes it sound more like the fox was curious. Definitely be careful!

slleipnir
05-07-2002, 04:36 PM
Thanks. Its not rabies related, I can tell you that. We don't have rabies here on the Island..yet. I hope it stays that way. I still get Jo vaccs for it, but I don't know if it does anything. I had Jo on the lease at the time so she wouldn't chase it. The fox always kept its distance, but I've never seen one do it. I think it may be a posibility that it may be tam. People might feed it or something. When we left I saw another fox (I think it wasnt the same one) this one looked a LITTLE smaller, and brighter orange. I wouldn't say it was a pup. It was really strange, but kind of interesting at the same time.

lynnestankard
05-07-2002, 04:47 PM
We have three foxes which come and play in our avenue about 2 or 3am most mornings. I have trouble sleeping, but the pleasure in watching these beautiful animals playing is wonderful.
There's a Mum and two very grown up fox cubs - almost as large as Mum now. They actually play hide and seek!!

Lynne

CountryWolf07
05-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Aww that's so cute! :) Hmmm.. that's strange about a fox being so close to you.. I bet it's tame, though.. you are probably right about the people feeding it or it just got really used to the enviroment and the people around. Foxes are * VERY * shy around here. - Rachel