PDA

View Full Version : Out and About with the Huskies

Glacier
05-15-2006, 05:20 PM
I took a couple groups of dogs out for big hikes this afternoon--getting away from the sound of my money going down the well hole(which is dry at 165 feet)!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/puddle.jpg
Mac and Earle went first. Paxil was with them, but she must have been off in the trees when I snapped this! There are some giganitic puddles around right now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/daisywim.jpg
Daisy was very happy to get to the creek and discover that it was melted enough in one spot that she could swim.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/godlierun.jpg
Then I took Chase and Goldie out. I love watching Goldie run. For a very long time, it hurt her to even move. A walk on leash was too much for her. She's still slow(she has short, short legs!), but at least she can run and play without pain now!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/chase.jpg
Her best friend, Chase, always waits for her to catch up!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/chasesmile.jpg
Such a handsome goofball!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/caisystick.jpg
Daisy came along with them too. What's a walk without the neighbor's dog!? I'm sure I have more pictures of her than her owner does! She happily chewed this stick down to nothing while we waited for Chase to give up on catching a squirrel!

finn's mom
05-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Looks like a great day! Look at those puddles, like small ponds! ;) Finn would love that! i'm sorry to hear that you haven't found water, yet, that's nuts!

Chilli
05-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Such gorgeous dogs as always! :D I really love seeing them. :)
I'm sorry to hear you all haven't hit water yet, hopefully you'll find some soon!

Pembroke_Corgi
05-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Looks like a fun, wet walk! I can't believe it's still only very very early spring there...how long does summer last? I think you'd really have to enjoy the cold to live in such a harsh climate- certainly your dogs are suited for it, they look kind of hot in those pictures! :D Sorry if you have said it a million times already and I just missed it, but have you lived way up north your whole life?

luvofallhorses
05-15-2006, 05:50 PM
It looks like they had fun swimming! :) I love Daisy.

Lori Jordan
05-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Looks like they had a blast

lute
05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
nice walkies! :D

zippy-kat
05-15-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm always so eager to open your threads! I just love your pictures and furkids!

Glacier
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Looks like a fun, wet walk! I can't believe it's still only very very early spring there...how long does summer last? I think you'd really have to enjoy the cold to live in such a harsh climate- certainly your dogs are suited for it, they look kind of hot in those pictures! :D Sorry if you have said it a million times already and I just missed it, but have you lived way up north your whole life?

Depends on how you define summer! The days are very long already. The longest day of the year is about six weeks away. It's after midnight now before it's dark. Bright sun again a couple hours later. It's still below freezing most nights right now. That should stop soon. Our first fall frost will likely hit in late August. We get about 80 frost free days a year. According to the official gov't site our average temp in July is 14C (57F). It does occasionally get up into the high 20'sC, even the low 30's (86F). Generally if it's that warm, the forest fires are out of control and it's hard to enjoy the warmth through the smoke!

We've lived up here for a little over 7 years now, but I grew up on the Prairies. The winters are fairly similar except for the darkness here. Summers there were much hotter.

The dogs were a little toasty today. Most of them are still in full winter coats. Only Muskwa has blown his coat so far.

Oh, and 190 feet, still nothing!!!

zoomer
05-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Look at those beauties! What fun :)

cyber-sibes
05-15-2006, 10:59 PM
190 & still drilling? :eek: Ouch! I can hear your pocketbook! We had to put in a new well two years ago, but only 96" deep. The water table is pretty shallow here. Love all the pictures - nice bright sunny day. All the puppers look so happy. I love seeing Goldie with her short legs and Chase with those stilts of his! They must look like a "Mutt & Jeff" pair side by side! Daisy looks like she really enjoys swimming - took me a minute to realize that the all-white corner of the picture is SNOW! Thanks for posting your crew once again.

Glacier
05-15-2006, 11:17 PM
190 & still drilling? :eek: Ouch! I can hear your pocketbook! We had to put in a new well two years ago, but only 96" deep. The water table is pretty shallow here. Love all the pictures - nice bright sunny day. All the puppers look so happy. I love seeing Goldie with her short legs and Chase with those stilts of his! They must look like a "Mutt & Jeff" pair side by side! Daisy looks like she really enjoys swimming - took me a minute to realize that the all-white corner of the picture is SNOW! Thanks for posting your crew once again.

210 and still drilling. My pocket book is empty! I called the driller off at 200. Stuart wants to keep going so the rest of the bill is his problem.

Chase and Goldie look ridiculous together, but they adore each other. Chase has made a huge improvement in Goldie's life. She is fussy about her friends and not many of the other dogs could live with her full time, except Chase. She was a pretty lonely girl before he arrived. I often tell people who don't believe animals form bonds and have emotions for each other that they need to meet Chase & Goldie. They are true canine love!

Daisy loves to swim. She even fetches sticks out of the lake. Such a change from the huskies! The white spot is snow and ice on the side of the river. It's only open in one pool so far.

captain
05-16-2006, 01:11 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/chasesmile.jpg

Love, Love this pic.
Just gorgeous ....!!!

pnance
05-16-2006, 01:19 AM
I always love to see your pup... they always look like there having so much fun..

Pembroke_Corgi
05-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Depends on how you define summer! The days are very long already. The longest day of the year is about six weeks away. It's after midnight now before it's dark. Bright sun again a couple hours later. It's still below freezing most nights right now. That should stop soon. Our first fall frost will likely hit in late August. We get about 80 frost free days a year. According to the official gov't site our average temp in July is 14C (57F). It does occasionally get up into the high 20'sC, even the low 30's (86F). Generally if it's that warm, the forest fires are out of control and it's hard to enjoy the warmth through the smoke!

We've lived up here for a little over 7 years now, but I grew up on the Prairies. The winters are fairly similar except for the darkness here. Summers there were much hotter.

The dogs were a little toasty today. Most of them are still in full winter coats. Only Muskwa has blown his coat so far.

Oh, and 190 feet, still nothing!!!

Fifty seven degrees...wow. Do you like the cold? I lived in St. Petersburg, Russia for a summer and I loved their white nights...it's fun to be able to go get coffee and sit outside at 11 pm and not be tired! I tend to be controlled by the amount of sun there is, if it's dark, I get tired, when it's light out, I wake up, so that would be nice in the summer but awful in the winter months!

Are there many people up there? I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that 80% of Canada's population lives within 200 miles or so of the US border (because it's further south and less cold!).

Sorry to hear about the drilling- I hope you find something pretty soon. :(

AdoreMyDogs
05-16-2006, 08:05 AM
I love opening your threads, the pics are always such a delight. I love your dogs and the scenery of your home surroundings!

Glacier
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Fifty seven degrees...wow. Do you like the cold? I lived in St. Petersburg, Russia for a summer and I loved their white nights...it's fun to be able to go get coffee and sit outside at 11 pm and not be tired! I tend to be controlled by the amount of sun there is, if it's dark, I get tired, when it's light out, I wake up, so that would be nice in the summer but awful in the winter months!

Are there many people up there? I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that 80% of Canada's population lives within 200 miles or so of the US border (because it's further south and less cold!).

Sorry to hear about the drilling- I hope you find something pretty soon. :(

I love the cold. I love winter in general as my allergies disappear with the snow! The dogs are also much happier in the cold temps. The dark was hard to get used to. I have a daylight therapy lamp that I use every day in the winter months. It helps alot.

There are about 30, 000 people in the Yukon, the vast majority of them live in Whitehorse. It's a highly transient population. Lots of people come up for the summers and leave; I know lots of people who moved up here intending to stay, made one winter and left as soon as they could. Most people either love it or hate it here immediately and never change their opinion!

Ginger's Mom
05-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I love your pictures, and your stories. And I really do love the Chase and Goldy love affair. :D Daisy really is cute, and she just seems to have such a personality, the way she just comes over and makes herself so at home with you and your crew.

So tell me, if you hadn't gotten so involved with the dogs and mushing, etc., do you think you would have liked it as much up there? What made you move up there to begin with (Stuart, right?). If this is too personal obviously you don't have to answer. Just being nosey. Oh, and good luck with the water, I really am sending out good thoughts for you on that.

Glacier
05-16-2006, 12:10 PM
So tell me, if you hadn't gotten so involved with the dogs and mushing, etc., do you think you would have liked it as much up there? What made you move up there to begin with (Stuart, right?). If this is too personal obviously you don't have to answer. Just being nosey. Oh, and good luck with the water, I really am sending out good thoughts for you on that.

Stuart and I were already married when we moved up here, for a whole six months! :D I had always wanted to live up here. Stuart was not meant to be a city boy and we were living in Calgary. There was a job in the Calgary Herald for a social worker up here one day. I sent in my resume just to see what might happen. 4 months later, we lived here! Well, I did. I moved in January, Stuart had to stay down south for a few months to tie things up. He came up in May.

We had three dogs when we moved up. We took Hoodoo away from his owners just before we left. Muskwa, Earle and Hoodoo made the move with me. I always loved it up here, but the dogs/mushing certainly made the winters easier to deal with. I don't like the dark, but they have forced me to get over that fear. Can't stay inside all day when it's only light for a couple hours! Now I really enjoy running a team at night, especially when the moon or the northern lights are out!

Thanks. Today is it. We are going to about 260 today and if there is no water, then we we have a very expensive, useless hole in the yard!

Husky_mom
05-16-2006, 12:12 PM
lovely pics i wish i can come by someday..........

or maybe you can bend the drilling a bit and get all the way to my place that way we can visit each other by the tunnel made. :D .............sorry i´m such a dork i couldnt help myself.........sorry

i really hope you get to water soon, sorry for the joke.........

chase reminds me of a previous dog i´ll try find a pic to compare

Ginger's Mom
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
There was a job in the Calgary Herald for a social worker up here one day. I sent in my resume just to see what might happen. 4 months later, we lived here! Well, I did. I moved in January, Stuart had to stay down south for a few months to tie things up. He came up in May.

Wow, that was very brave of you. Good for you. Well, you seem to have made a good life for yourself and your dogs. But then I have a feeling you would be able to do that wherever you were.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Wow, that was very brave of you. Good for you. Well, you seem to have made a good life for yourself and your dogs. But then I have a feeling you would be able to do that wherever you were.
Yes, that is brave! It seems almost like a sort of "last frontier" there. It looks absolutely beautiful. :)