PDA

View Full Version : RIP ButterBear....

Roxyluvsme13
05-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Another hamster, gone. ButterBear woke up yesterday with his eyes swelled shut, and he had diahrhea(sp?) a few days before. I didn't think it anything too serious, with the diahrhea, just maybe having an upset tummy from going to a new home, but we were going to take him to the vet at the end of this week if It hadn't cleared up, but I guess it was too late.. Petsmart does have a 14 day guarantee, but I said just forget it, I want to bury him and let him Rest in peace.

ButterBear, you were a great little hammie, even though you were only with us a short time. I'm sorry you had to suffer, If I would have noticed sooner, maybe I could have saved you. I love you with all my heart, and I hope you play hard at the RB. I know your brother is going to miss you, too. Always know that we loved you, and that you're forever in our hearts. Say hi to Rufus and Tink for me, little one.

.sarah
05-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Sorry for your loss! RIP Butterbear.

For future reference, diarreah is very serious in hamsters.

Roxyluvsme13
05-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Sorry for your loss! RIP Butterbear.

For future reference, diarreah is very serious in hamsters.
I feel like such a terrible mommy for not thinking of that :(.
P.S. Do you think it was contagious, since he and Dipstick were living in the same cage?

.sarah
05-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I feel like such a terrible mommy for not thinking of that :(.
P.S. Do you think it was contagious, since he and Dipstick were living in the same cage?
Don't think you're a terrible mom! Diarreah is very seldom serious is humans, cats, and dogs, so why would we think it was in hamsters? It's just something I read when I first got my hamster. A good forum for more reference is Hamster Hideout (http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php).

Sorry, I don't know too much about diseases in hamsters. Maybe someone else here can help you or maybe you could join that forum and ask?

Zippy
05-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh no.Bri i am so sorry.RIP Butterbear.You are missed.I would have thought Butterbear was just stressed a little and not ill don't blam yourself you are a great mommy to your little babies they are lucky to have you

Miss Z
05-15-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm so sorry Bri, my thoughts are with you. RIP sweet ButterBear, your little life did bring joy to Briana's and you will be sorely missed.:(

It sounds like he had wet tail, which is contagious. I'd keep an eye on Dipstick and if you suspect anything get him to the vet immediately. Wet tail is a killer but if it's spotted within 24 hours it can sometimes be curable. I would move him to another cage or give the cage a thorough scrubbing with strong disinfectant. I really hope Dipstick will be OK and keep strong Bri.

animal_rescue
05-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Aww R.I.P. ButterBear. Maybe to be on the safe side you could take the other one to the vet?

Roxyluvsme13
05-15-2006, 03:00 PM
I was just reading and thinking it was Wet Tail.
But ugh..that means Dipstick will def, have it, and we're very broke right now and can't take him to the vet :(.

Chilli
05-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Aww, I'm sooo sorry, Briana :( RIP little guy.
Does dipstick show any signs of having it?
HERE (http://groups.msn.com/hamstersgalore/wettailfeature.msnw) seems to be a good site that shows how to prevent it and how to treat it and such.

Roxyluvsme13
05-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, he only had Diahrhea, and his eyes swelled shut. I'm hoping it was something else, since Lily came in contact with him a few times, too.

Anita Cholaine
05-15-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm so sorry Bri :(
Play hard at the RB, Butterbear....

I really hope it's not contagious for Dipstick or Lily...

Roxyluvsme13
05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Thank you, everyone. Dipstick isn't exhibiting any signs, and I just realized how fat he is :o:p:D
Edit: Cancel my happiness..
Dipstick could only open his eye half way, but..maybe it's not Wet Tail. It looks more like a Respiratory Infection to me...

Alysser
05-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Sorry for your loss(HUGS))

Zippy
05-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Oh no How is Dipstick???

Roxyluvsme13
05-16-2006, 05:04 PM
He seems great!
I still miss my ittle ButterBear though..:(

Zippy
05-17-2006, 11:18 AM
He seems great!
I still miss my ittle ButterBear though..:(

I know.Bri but at least you have Dipstick and Lily and Roxy and Airal and Neptune and Sebastion

Roxyluvsme13
05-17-2006, 03:02 PM
I know.Bri but at least you have Dipstick and Lily and Roxy and Airal and Neptune and Sebastion
You forgot Skye ;).
But yes. I have all my babies<3

Zippy
05-17-2006, 03:18 PM
You forgot Skye ;).
But yes. I have all my babies<3

Oh sorry
I knew I was forgeting someone ;)