PDA

View Full Version : Bush To Speak

BOBS DAD
05-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Bush is going to address the nation tonight. I gather he is going to offer his (a) plan on Immigration Reform. It will be interesting to see what comes of it (if anything) and the spin from it. Good fodder for PT!!!

moosmom
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Aw shucks, I've gotta work tonight. I DO hope you'll fill me in on his drivel. :rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
05-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Yep, people are already complaining about it. Even the Pres of Mexico!!!! :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, I couldn't watch it as my blood pressure tends to raise when I see/ hear Bush speak, but my husband watched a bit of it...says he wants to send 10,000 soldiers to guard the border. Yet another blatant waste of tax dollars.

Why the *&&% are we going after all these supposed "enemies," like Iraq and Afghanastan, and now Mexico, when the terrorists actually responsible for 9/11 are free? And how is catching "dangerous" illegal immigrants going to help anyone when rich heads of corporations steal way more from the working class then any poor person ever could?

Let's see...instead of cutting taxes for the rich and spending billions on an ongoing, unpopular war, we could have possibly reformed the healthcare system for the 40 million+ uninsured. (This was acutally one of Mr. Bush's initial campaign promises, yet more and more Americans are unisured every day). Americans spend more per person in taxes for healthcare than any other nation in the world but reap no benefit from it, and we are spending MORE MONEY ON TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

momoffuzzyfaces
05-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Let's see...instead of cutting taxes for the rich and spending billions on an ongoing, unpopular war, we could have possibly reformed the healthcare system for the 40 million+ uninsured. (This was acutally one of Mr. Bush's initial campaign promises, yet more and more Americans are unisured every day). Americans spend more per person in taxes for healthcare than any other nation in the world but reap no benefit from it, and we are spending MORE MONEY ON TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
Oh NO! Please don't let them reform my health coverage any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new prescription drug plan they set up for us on Medicare has almost driven me to drink as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Pembroke_Corgi
05-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Oh NO! Please don't let them reform my health coverage any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new prescription drug plan they set up for us on Medicare has almost driven me to drink as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Yuck, I know how bad the prescription drug plan is, as I used to work at a place explaining it to people...it really is terrible, designed to make drug companies even more $$$$.

I mean a REAL reform, as in give everyone equal access to FREE healthcare and force drug companies to give up their hold on brand-name drugs, etc. (They have at least 6 years profit before other companies can produce a generic).

BOBS DAD
05-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I gotta rip on Bush here too. As you recall, I was one of those duped the first time around (2000), but not again in 2004. I can't believe folks fell for this dope twice. If you recall, he had a lot of campaign promises that have been unfulfilled. Not that that doesn't happen to every President, but in his case - he hasn't even tried. If you recall, Clinton said he was going to reform Healthcare too. And true to his word, he had a comprehensive thorough plan to present to the Congress spearheaded by the first lady - Hillary. Apparently Americans (or politicians) weren't ready for it!!! But it was worked on and presented as promised.

Bush has forgotten all his campaign promises in favor of making his mark in history. Evil and Evil-doers consume him. Yes, he was derailed with 911, but he has failed to finish "that" job before moving on to others. Osama is still out there... somewhere. Let's get him and in the meantime, take on some domestic issues. Like making us ENERGY self sufficient. Get rid of our need for Foreign oil (Hell... all oil) and watch your troubles go away. The only reason anyone cares about the deserts in Iran and the region is because of OIL and MONEY TO BE MADE. Take a tough stance... a real leadership one and declare America Energy Self Sufficient by 2008. Order the production of Hybrid and Electric Cars. Initiate research and funding for Hydrogen powered transportation. Give tax incentives to those who will buy into and invest in Energy alternatives. Buy an Electric car - get $6000.00 of your declared income. Do a National Lottery giving away 100,000 Energy Efficient (Hybrids, Electric or Hydrogen Powered) Cars. This will do more than anything to spark interest in them and will be a modest investment of our fortunes in the long run. Everyone will want to win and those that don't, will investigate simply purchasing one and taking the tax break that comes along with it. C'mon... let's "just do it!" We sent brilliant minds into the desert once and 6 months later - we had a Nuclear Bomb! I think this should "be a breeze"!!! Enough!!! :D

Pembroke_Corgi
05-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Bush has forgotten all his campaign promises in favor of making his mark in history. Evil and Evil-doers consume him. Yes, he was derailed with 911, but he has failed to finish "that" job before moving on to others. Osama is still out there... somewhere. Let's get him and in the meantime, take on some domestic issues. Like making us ENERGY self sufficient. Get rid of our need for Foreign oil (Hell... all oil) and watch your troubles go away. The only reason anyone cares about the deserts in Iran and the region is because of OIL and MONEY TO BE MADE. Take a tough stance... a real leadership one and declare America Energy Self Sufficient by 2008. Order the production of Hybrid and Electric Cars. Initiate research and funding for Hydrogen powered transportation. Give tax incentives to those who will buty into and invest in Energy alternatives. Buy an Electric car - get $6000.00 of your declared income. Do a National Lottery giving away 100,000 Energy Efficient (Hybrids, Electric or Hydrogen Powered) Cars. This will do more than anything to spark interest in them and will be a modest investment of our fortunes in the long run. Everyone will want to win and those thnat don't will investigate simply purchasing one and taking the tax break that comes along with it. C'mon... let's "just do it!" We sent brilliant minds into the desert once and 6 months later - we had a Nuclear Bomb! I think this should "be a breeze"!!! Enough!!! :D
It would be great if this administration would do something about our energy crisis, but I've read their "energy plan" if you can call it that, and it has absolutely no basis in reality. Their "solution" is by using coal, because there's a 200-year supply. Oh, and nuclear which is ghastly expensive to start and has that little problem with radioactive waste.
They were giving a small tax break on purchasing hybrid cars but they have since phased that out. There is still a tax break for buying SUVs though... :confused:

BOBS DAD
05-16-2006, 12:56 PM
They were giving a small tax break on purchasing hybrid cars but they have since phased that out. There is still a tax break for buying SUVs though...

That's what I mean!!! Geesh, it has to be real and worth while or no-one will bite. A genuine, real tax incentive to invest in yours and your children's furure and security. I remember his "dis"incentive to buy a Hybrid. It was a joke. It came no-where near offsetting the financial burden to you (the participant) and enticing you to "make" the leap. IT WAS REAL JOKE - AND MADE ME MAD. Sort of like that tax break he talks about. And some people are really big on... I got back $600.00. I spent it immediately on some overdue bill. I certainly did not use it to spearhead the economy!!! Although I did hear that Billionaires got back hundreds of thousands. I wonder what they spent it on???

C'MON... WE DO NOT, HAVE NOT and WILL NOT NEED OIL!!! It's an obsolete, dirty means of powering cars. We have the technology to say ENOUGH is ENOUGH. We don't want anymore. We don't care how much it is a barrel!!! We are going OILFREE by 08!!!

elizabethann
05-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Luckily, I fell asleep on the couch before his speech started and woke up just before it ended.....If only I slept a few minutes longer.

:D

AbbyMom
05-16-2006, 08:24 PM
C'MON... WE DO NOT, HAVE NOT and WILL NOT NEED OIL!!! It's an obsolete, dirty means of powering cars.

But wait! Don't we really really need it? Isn't that why we need to drill in protected lands in Alaska?

~please note sarcasm...

Lady's Human
05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Ever think the Billionaires got back hundreds of thousands in tax cuts because they pay millions in taxes?

The dirty, obsolete fuel source we use for autos is also the dirty, obsolete fuel source that we use for half of our electricity, being that "environmentalists" have torpedoed wind farms, solar farms, nuclear power plants, and clean coal tech.

BOBS DAD
05-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Actually... yes I did think that! And I understand and agree that you get back fairly what you paid into the tax base. But my complaint with the whole plan is that I really could have survived without the $600.00 and would have gladly passed on it in an effort to lower our federal deficit.

Oil "is" dirty and obsolete! It is the original combustible fuel for the automobile engine. We have so many alternatives now that to continue our reliance on it is insane. Yes, clean coal is one of them. In fact, clean coal is the primary generator of "electricity" as an alternative to oil. Hydrogen is even better, considering that it is in infinite abundance. My point is that America has the the world's greatest minds and is a leader in technology. If we can build a bomb, we can make an alternative to oil. WE JUST HAVE TO "WANT" TO!!!

BOBS DAD
05-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Ever think the Billionaires got back hundreds of thousands in tax cuts because they pay millions in taxes?

The dirty, obsolete fuel source we use for autos is also the dirty, obsolete fuel source that we use for half of our electricity, being that "environmentalists" have torpedoed wind farms, solar farms, nuclear power plants, and clean coal tech.

I think your statistics on oil for electricity production are a little off. In fact, I think that very little oil is "still" being used to generate electricty. Yes...Oil is the largest source of energy in the United States, providing close to 40 percent of all of the nation's entire power needs. BUT most oil is used for transportation or home heating purposes, while a small percentage is still used as a fuel for electricity generating plants.

While oil continues to decline in popularity as an electricity fuel, in places such as New York (your state), oil still comprises about 8 and only 8 percent or less of the state's electricity fuel mix.

pnance
05-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Someone explain to me why if he's so in favor of stopping illegal immigration and boarder security that he wants to put national guard troops on the boarder, why a few months ago he was willing to hand over control of some of our ports to a foreign company?

Lady's Human
05-17-2006, 12:08 AM
It wasn't control of the ports, it was management of container terminals at port facilities. While I have issues with that, it was a far less dangerous deal than the media made it out to be.

Edwina's Secretary
05-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Perhaps it was the underhanded, secretive, hypocritical manner in which the deal went down that caused such a turmoil? I didn' think it a bad deal....but the way it was done....opps.....I left out arrogant....

Lady's Human
05-17-2006, 04:43 PM
ES, Can't argue with you there. If you recall the Port of Long Beach was almost sold to the Chinese Government in a similar deal in the '90s. (Point being arrogance and secrecy don't belong to any one party)

Edwina's Secretary
05-17-2006, 07:16 PM
You always have to bring up the previous administration. Bit of an obsession?

Maybe so, but his administration has taken dishonesty, arrogance, underhandedness, secrecy to a level not seen since the days of Richard Nixon!

And pnance...the guy isn't that in favor of stopping illegal immigration. If that were to happen, where would his buddies get cheap labor?

And LH....last week's tax cut was for those making $100,000 and up. You see, that way those folks will spend their tax cut thereby putting the money in the pockets of the rest of America....who can use it to pay the taxes that weren't cut!

So all of you making over $100,000....what will you be buying????

Lady's Human
05-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Why bring up the previous administration? It's the closest historic reference point. If I brought up the Constitutional abuses of Jefferson and other Presidents out of the past, it wouldn't have the same effect. It's easier and more accurate to compare an administration with their immediate predecessors.

Edwina's Secretary
05-17-2006, 07:42 PM
In that case....this adminstration wins hands down! (as the polls indicate!)

Pembroke_Corgi
05-18-2006, 05:46 PM
You know, if rich people were taxed like the rest of us, it would be fair, but they pay a MUCH smaller percetage of their income in taxes. When I get my paycheck 22% is gone just from SS, Medicare, fed & state taxes. Rich people do not pay that much!

For example, you are taxed for SS only on your first $88,000 or so...which means someone pulling in $500,000 per year pays SS tax on only 17% of their income! This places an unfair burden on the working class, and the Bush administration only worsens it by giving the obsenely weathly further breaks.

lizbud
05-18-2006, 07:17 PM
You know, if rich people were taxed like the rest of us, it would be fair, but they pay a MUCH smaller percetage of their income in taxes. When I get my paycheck 22% is gone just from SS, Medicare, fed & state taxes. Rich people do not pay that much!

For example, you are taxed for SS only on your first $88,000 or so...which means someone pulling in $500,000 per year pays SS tax on only 17% of their income! This places an unfair burden on the working class, and the Bush administration only worsens it by giving the obsenely weathly further breaks.

Totally agree with you. It's a fact that I meant to comment on also.
The fallacy that the rich pay their fair portion of taxes is bogus at best.
They have better tax lawyers & have a better selection of loopholes to
avoid paying much, if anything.