PDA

View Full Version : Computer Stupidity. :(

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Thinking that I knew more than I did, I bought a computer off of EBAY without an operating system. I thought all one needed to do was put a Windows CD in and download it (since I know my family has copies of both windows 98 and windows XP.) But I guess it means more than that, doesn't it?

Could someone please explain what I got myself into?

Here is the link to what I bought....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:12&Item=8806820731

According to my BIL (computer expert) I will need to spend at least $100 on an OS. Should I just cut my losses and try to resell or give this away?? :( :(

This is what happens when you mix stupidity with thriftiness......I always lose out.

Craftlady
05-14-2006, 05:25 PM
You cant get a computer with o/s on it for $158.
$100 for full XP version plus $58 for computer, dang one heck of a deal. There is not a problem using the family cd copies if they are full versions of windows. Is there a reason your BIL thinks you need to buy instead of using those copies?

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 05:49 PM
There is not a problem using the family cd copies if they are full versions of windows. Is there a reason your BIL thinks you need to buy instead of using those copies?

I don't know?? :confused: Maybe there aren't full versions? :confused:

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 05:54 PM
You cant get a computer with o/s on it for $158.
$100 for full XP version plus $58 for computer, dang one heck of a deal.
But at least THIS makes me feel better.

Could someone also tell me if the above computer sounds like fairly good one or not??

Lady's Human
05-14-2006, 08:10 PM
It looks like a decent deal (after purchasing an OS)

If you want to go Windows XP, you need to buy a full version of the OS, as there are registration keys in the OS which will lock up the computer if you don't register the OS. If you use a reg key from another system it won't work, as it goes online with microsqaush and checks the keys. If you know someone who has a copy of 2000 professional, however, you can use that. Win 98 isn't very compatible with a lot of the s/w on the market now. Some says it is, but reality is something else entirely.

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 08:18 PM
OK, next question.......Is installing an OS easy? something I could do myself without help? (My BIL WILL do it, but of course, if I could do it myself it would be a whole lot easier)

Lady's Human
05-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Jen,

Installing an OS CAN be easy, but it can also be a PITA.

It really would be best to have someone who has done it a few times there, at a minimum. If I was home (We're about 2 hrs north of you) I'd help, but I'm stuck in OK at the moment.

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks!