PDA

View Full Version : Puppy question

Muddy4paws
05-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Ì dont really know too much about the whole breeding process with dogs so if this is a silly question please be nice!

What age should a pup leave its mum? is it different for bigger dogs or not? I know there are some disadvantages of leaving the mum early but I'm not 100% on them.. I know about the socializing and the pups needing to feed from their mums but thats all, so does anyone know more?

I had quite a shakey moment at the weekend and I cant get it out of my head :(

I know I SHOULD know all of this but when my dogs were pups my mum delt with all the medical and feeding side of things so they would grow up properly and healthy.

I also want to know how old a pup needs to be before it starts eating solids?

:: Edit ::

What age can a dog start knowing comands? I mean like sit and stay properly? or is it all different?

Thanks in advance

BC_MoM
05-14-2006, 01:48 PM
I would say around 8 - 8.5 weeks is a fine age for a pup to leave it's mother.
As for commands, you can start as soon as you get the pup!
Depending on how consistently and how often you have training sessions with your pup will determine an approx. length of time it will take your pup to have the command down pat.

Muddy4paws
05-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks 4 your comments, I also wanna bump this up because I want to know a few peoples opinions

shihtzulover850
05-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Do you plan on giving them away? Cause if so about 7-8 weeks is good. They should start learning commands as soon as possible. If they are given away as soon as they get adjusted they should begin puppy training! :p About six weeks maybe earlier is a good time to wean them. Put I am no dog expert this is based on my experience with getting a dog a small dog at that too. Hope this helps. :D :D :D

Jods
05-15-2006, 08:54 AM
^^^ same as above...

Kong is 8 weeks and can sit, shake a paw and were working on lie down hes getting it buts its harder with young ouos since they get distracted easier so I work with him about 10 min a day and will increase it over time

.sarah
05-15-2006, 09:10 AM
What age should a pup leave its mum?8 weeks is normal, 10-12 weeks is best.

is it different for bigger dogs or not?Nope :)

I know there are some disadvantages of leaving the mum early but I'm not 100% on them.. I know about the socializing and the pups needing to feed from their mums but thats all, so does anyone know more?They learn a lot from their littermates and mom in that time.

I also want to know how old a pup needs to be before it starts eating solids?They start weaning from their mom at 3-4 weeks. They are usually on solid foods at 6 weeks.

What age can a dog start knowing comands? I mean like sit and stay properly? or is it all different?You should start traning as early as possible.

Muddy4paws
05-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess I just worry too much, would you agree that a 10 week old puppy isnt ready to be off the lead especially next to roads? I know you could start training but surely mistakes can happen there are too many distractions.. Sometime I just want to slap some people :mad: :(