PDA

View Full Version : lab + dalmatian = only 1 pup?

Goochina & Goochissimo
05-06-2002, 12:17 PM
My neighbor has a black lab female. I have a dalmatian male.

They accidentally got together. She was wearing a diaper, but he ripped it off her (lol) and did it anyway. :rolleyes:

We had no idea she was even pregnant and were wondering why her nipples weren't drying up from last time. (They took her in as a stray and she was already pg. After the puppies, they just never went away!!!) There wasn't any noticeable weight gain either, so boy was my neighbor surprised to come home and find a puppy in the kennel with momma!!!

Anyway... what is your experience? Why only one pup? Isn't this unusual for 2 big dogs? Last time momma had 10 pups with a chow!!!:confused:

Ann
05-06-2002, 12:25 PM
I won't be able to contribute any usefull information here, but I just wanted to say that I'd love to see a picture of the puppy ;)

lizbud
05-06-2002, 12:31 PM
I don't know how many pups are the norm for
any breed of dog, but this poor female should be
spayed ASAP and given a much needed rest.:( :(

Do you plan on breeding your Dal? If not he too should
be neutered. He will be much healthier for it.

Goochina & Goochissimo
05-06-2002, 12:47 PM
I agree that she should be spayed. The neighbor is going to do that, but just hasn't yet. We were kind of wondering what was wrong with her that she hadn't gone back to normal yet.

I am not breeding my Odie -- there are enough unwanted dalmatians filling up rescues out there. I adopted him in tact and have wanted to get him fixed. I really didn't think he had any interest though -- he didn't last time he was in heat. I had never even seen him get excited EVER. I wasn't expecting that at all.

We're much more careful after he was caught mounting her last time, and I will be getting him fixed asap.

Goochina & Goochissimo
05-06-2002, 01:15 PM
correction -- obviously, I meant "she" was in heat. LOL!

lizbud
05-06-2002, 01:26 PM
G & G,

Excellent !!! Odie will be much healthier and more
bonded to you as his person afterward. Please let
us know how it goes with his neutering. O.K.? As for
the neighgor's lab, I truely hope they mean it & do
get the poor girl spayed ASAP. Let us know how it goes.

anna_66
05-06-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Goochina & Goochissimo
correction -- obviously, I meant "she" was in heat. LOL!

I was wondering! LOL!

sammi
05-06-2002, 02:28 PM
I also hope that you get your male neutered and your friends get their lab spayed soon. Sorry can't help about the number of pups that is normal for large dogs.

Karen
05-06-2002, 02:41 PM
It may just be that it was so soon after her last pregnancy. Dunno about averages, but this was not a normal situation, so ...

Logan
05-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Karen
It may just be that it was so soon after her last pregnancy. Dunno about averages, but this was not a normal situation, so ...

I'm agreeing with Karen. And it, for sure, was a blessing that there was only one mixed breed pup. I sure hope everyone involved will spay/neuter, and soon!

Cincy'sMom
05-06-2002, 03:38 PM
I really don't know what is normal, but my Sadie was the daughter of a Dal female (2 year old, first litter) and a male black lab. She was one of 11, 4 female, 7 males. Cincy was one of 8 from a black lab mixed female( age unknown, 2nd litter) and an unknown (hound?) male. Sorry I can't be of more help!

delidog
05-06-2002, 09:33 PM
i agree...time for them both to be fixed....but since you have a fur baby....how bout some pics???

sounds like a baby deli dog to me!!!

wolf_Q
05-06-2002, 11:47 PM
No I don't think that is really normal for only one pup to be born like that, especially in large breed dogs. When my friends german shepard had pups, there were 14! Of course that's not really average either. But maybe it's a blessing that only one pup was born! What is going to happen to the puppy, are you going to keep it? I'd love to pics!! :)

Goochina & Goochissimo
05-07-2002, 10:51 AM
She is going to keep the puppy until it is old enough, and then find a good home for it. She's a sucker though, so she may end up keeping it. Don't worry, we will find a good home for this pup. We also found good homes for the 10 puppies she had last time (that one wasn't our fault).

I'm not so sure 1 pup is a blessing. Last time the puppies weren't suckling enough and she was engorged. It was really hurting her in one area. This time... that one pup certainly won't be getting enough. I hope she does alright!