PDA

View Full Version : I must give up my cats.

Felicia's Mom
05-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Because of both health and finances, I must move to a home where pets are not allowed. Beau will live with a lady, her family and cats. He will still be mine and I can see him once in a while. Felicia, on the other hand, has never been handled by anyone but me (except the vet) and has never gotten along with other cats. She will never fit in another home and will be put to sleep.

orangemm
05-14-2006, 10:20 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your sad news. It must be heart-breaking to have to part with your beloved pets. :(

Hugs to you and your babies. (((hugs)))

CultureJunky
05-14-2006, 10:26 AM
That's so sad. Can't you find a sanctuary for Felicia to go to? A home where she can live and be taken care of but never adopted?

slick
05-14-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm so sorry about this Nancy. :( I will not judge, as only you know what's best for your cats.

{{{hugs}}}

Laura's Babies
05-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Gee whiz, having to give up your babies must be breaking your heart. I hope you find a home for Felicia. GOOD LUCK!

Zippy
05-14-2006, 10:38 AM
So Sorry.I know how you feel.I had to give two of my babies away.Emmy my cockatiel and Pumpkin my cat.Emmy went to Kari and Pumpkin is going to live with Donna in a while.

shais_mom
05-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Oh No Nancy.
I am so sorry to hear this.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 12:22 PM
My heart is broken into a million pieces, so I can't even imagine how you must feel. Oh how I wish I knew of a way to help you. {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

zippy-kat
05-14-2006, 12:26 PM
{{{{hugs}}}}

Randi
05-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I know you have thought a lot about what to do, and I'm sure whatever you do will be best for your kitties. I do hope you'll find a wonderful home for Beau - and hopefully there'll be a good home for Felicia too.

So sorry about your health. :(

((((((hugs))))))

Felicia's Mom
05-14-2006, 03:29 PM
If I can find a good home for Felicia, they can have her. It's just that you hear about people getting cats and using them to train fighting dogs.

I have never heard of a sanctuary in my area. I will call my vet and ask him about it.

catmandu
05-14-2006, 03:38 PM
If I want so far away in Canada, I would take Felicia.
She could have the spare bedroom and all the time she neede to adjust.
I know how I would feel, if I had to give up a Found Cat.
I am praying that Felicia can find a place where she can be happy.

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Try these Iowa rescues.:

Heavenly Pet sanctuary (http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/IA57.html)

TLC Animal Shelter--Feline Center (http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/IA38.html)

Raccoon Valley Animal Sanctuary and Rescue (http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/IA13.html)

I did nothing more than look on petfinder for names, but hey , it is a place to start.

Could you tell me more about felicia? like age and why you think she would not do well with another set of parents.

I do not wish to make this harder than it is on you, but if we can help, good, right??

Killearn Kitties
05-14-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you have to move and give up your cats. I think that must be absolutely heartbreaking for anybody. Are you going to be able to keep in touch with us, and let us know how you are? I certainly hope that you can.

PT is a wonderful resource. Maybe someone here will manage to find a place for Felicia.

Lots of love and best wishes coming your way.

Barbara
05-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Nancy, I have noticed again that you have not been at Pet Talk for quite some time. I am so sorry that your health is not good.

Your heart must break for Felicia and Beau. I am glad however that you found a home for Beau and hope you will find a place for Felicia as well.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

ChrisH
05-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Oh, Nancy, I am so, so, sorry to hear that, how terribly hard it must be for you. {{big hugs}} Prayers and loving thoughts on their way.

Karen
05-14-2006, 05:23 PM
You'll be in our prayers. Maybe some farm, as was suggested, will let Felicia be a barn cat for them?

carole
05-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I am also very sad to read your post, and understand how hard this must be for you, please, please,please re-consider putting Felicia to sleep, try other options for her, there may well be a home she will be ok in, you might be mis-judging her , although i know you now your pets well, I just cannot bear the thought of putting a healthy animal to sleep and i am sure you feel exactly as i do, I am not judging you, but just hoping you can find some better alternative than that for Felicia, HUGS to you and I pray something will work out for her.

Is it totally out of the question just keeping the one cat, maybe if things are so bad, we here at PT could help some way, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask,everyone here would only be pleased to help in anyway possible that i am sure of.

Felicia's Mom
05-14-2006, 06:09 PM
I have had Felicia since 1989, making her 16 or 17. The reasons I don't think she would in another home is her age, and she does not get along with other cats.

I will consider other options. Thanks Jen for those rescues, I hadn't thought of them.

barncat
05-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Blessings in whatever you do. I am perhaps facng some of the same choices. It is clear you love them and are seeking to do what is best. They know your choices come from love.

rkidsrcats
05-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Our thoughts are with you and Felicia & Beau. We hope the best for all of you and that someone, somewhere can help you find homes for your cats.

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 06:43 PM
I have had Felicia since 1989, making her 16 or 17. The reasons I don't think she would in another home is her age, and she does not get along with other cats.

I will consider other options. Thanks Jen for those rescues, I hadn't thought of them.

Nancy, at least an attempt to find an alternative will make YOU feel better. And please KNOW that I DO understand, 100%, your reasons for considering putting Felicia to sleep rather than knowing she might be pining away in another home, never really being happy again. And I am certain that the majority of people here will support you no matter what your decision. Only you can REALLY know what needs to be done.

I would certainly not think making her a barn cat at 16 or 17 would be a reasonable option. :(

Now, let me probe a little further.......Would you say that she hates other cats to the point of fighting with them, her being the instigator? Or is it more of a "if you leave me alone I will leave you alone" emotion? Or would she HIDE all the time if she were around strange cats?

Does she have any known health issues at this time (especially ones that would realistically shorten her natural lifespan)?

by the way, in case I did not say so earlier..........I am SO sorry to hear about your failing health. Losing your health and independence is hard enough without having to lose your furfamily too. :(

Karen
05-14-2006, 06:45 PM
I didn't remember that Felicia was an old lady - is there a nursing home, bookstore or library that might want a "store cat?"

lisalee
05-14-2006, 07:04 PM
If not, it'll be on YOUR conscience and I hope you'll be able to sleep at night and look at yourself in the mirror in the morning.

I totally agree. This is heartbreaking. I'm sorry I clicked on to read this. :( I would not think a farm is a good idea at all at her age and with the extremes in temperature she would face. Poor baby, my heart breaks for you Felicia. :( Sending many prayers that a good home will be found for Felicia. Please contact the rescue groups, there has to be someone that can help find her a loving home!

jenluckenbach
05-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by moosmom

If not, it'll be on YOUR conscience and I hope you'll be able to sleep at night and look at yourself in the mirror in the morning.

I totally agree. This is heartbreaking. I'm sorry I clicked on to read this. :( I would not think a farm is a good idea at all at her age and with the extremes in temperature she would face. Poor baby, my heart breaks for you Felicia. :(

Neither of you are showing any compassion towards a PILLAR of our PT group........and THAT breaks my heart. :( Sometimes people really are placed between a proverbial "rock and a hard place". Not every person has the luxury of of time and money to do the "right" thing. And who would know better what the "right" thing is than Nancy herself??? Circumstances are not always ideal. And even though you both (and others who feel this way) are most certainly allowed to have and voice your opinions, I just don't feel it is very fair of you to judge and criticize a person who is in no doubt facing one of the hardest times of a person's life. :(

(Sorry, Nancy, I do not mean to speak for you)

Catty1
05-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Nancy...I don't know you much at all, being kind of new. I am more in agreement with the person who said at least if you called some of the rescue groups, at least you would know you had tried.

If - by some chance - your new landlord knew the age of Felicia, and you signed something saying you would have no more cats after her....and would accept a damage deposit - might that help?

YOu know a bunch of us here would chip in!

Just a thought

HUGS HUGS HUGS
Catty1

Laura's Babies
05-14-2006, 08:12 PM
You may even get a note from your doctor stating that she is your therapy animal since having to be sepreated from a pet you have had that long would sure distress you and there IS a lot to be said about purr therapy and the comfort they bring during bad times. If I tried to explaine that to a doctor of mine, I would really be upset and bawling like a baby at the thought of having to give up my pets and they would clearly see that it was not to MY benifit to have to be sepreated from them.

jazzcat
05-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm so very sorry. I'm sure this is extremely hard for you. (((HUGS)))

I'm praying that a rescue can help you with Felicia and it's good to know you have a good home lined up for Beau.

Felicia's Mom
05-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Felicia is a "leave me alone cat." Especially if she is sitting or laying around and Beau comes near her. On the other hand, they sometimes eat out of the same dish at the same time.

I am going to ask about taking her there. She is therapy for me.

Thanks to all of you. You gave me ideas I hadn't thought of.

Catty1
05-14-2006, 08:43 PM
HUGS HUGS HUGS to you.

Catty1

rg_girlca
05-14-2006, 10:10 PM
First off, I am so sorry to hear that you are having health and financial issues. You will be in my prayers that things will turn around for you.

Secondly, I can only imagine how terribly hard this must be for you to part with your cats. My heart goes out to you. I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a good family for Beau and will be able to see him from time to time.

In regards to Felicia, I pray that you will be able to keep her with you as I just cannot see her doing well anywhere else considering her age and temperament.

((((((HUGS))))))

sandragonfly
05-14-2006, 10:18 PM
sad. I don't know what to say but to give you hugs, and know you'll do what's best for your both furprecious.

thinking of you, all! ((((hugs))))

Karen
05-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks to all of you. You gave me ideas I hadn't thought of.

Oh, I do hope so - we'll all chip in and make her a "Therapy Cat" vest if she'll wear it!

(Miss Hoppy would not even wear a harness, never mind a vest of any sort.)

Different people and different ideas - that's what's good about the Pet Talk community! And we all want the best for you and Beau and Felicia.

carole
05-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Jen i don't think Donna meant to sound unkind, she was just saying that she should look at other options or otherwise that is probably how she would be feeling, like you i don't speak for Donna either, but knowing her as I do I am sure she mean't it that way.

The best thing is Nancy has now looked at other options and is glad of the well meaning suggestions offered by some,and that means maybe Felicia will be around for a lot longer, now that is what i call a happy ending.

Nancy what an awful dilemma for you to be in, you are the only one who can make this decision, but we are all here to support you either way. HUGS.

shais_mom
05-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I would certainly not think making her a barn cat at 16 or 17 would be a reasonable option. :(

:(
I didn't realize Felicia was that old and even before knowing that I was against the idea of that. In my case - Kloe age almost 2 would probably do ok as a barn cat, but the Princess Kylie at age 6, overweight and declawed would think she had been banished straight to H-E-7-7!

shais_mom
05-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Neither of you are showing any compassion towards a PILLAR of our PT group........and THAT breaks my heart. :( Sometimes people really are placed between a proverbial "rock and a hard place". Not every person has the luxury of of time and money to do the "right" thing. And who would know better what the "right" thing is than Nancy herself??? Circumstances are not always ideal. And even though you both (and others who feel this way) are most certainly allowed to have and voice your opinions, I just don't feel it is very fair of you to judge and criticize a person who is in no doubt facing one of the hardest times of a person's life. :(

(Sorry, Nancy, I do not mean to speak for you)
Once again Jen I totally agree with you - this is shooting a person while they are down. I am very disappointed to say the least.

Edwina's Secretary
05-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Nancy....my thoughts are with you at this very difficult time. I know whatever you decide...it will be the best thing for all concerned.

G535
05-15-2006, 12:28 AM
I really hope things work out well for you and the cats. I would be faced with a similar decision if my health failed as my Finnigan is a one person cat, almost thirteen years old and has never been anywhere without me. I had to go into the vet's every day to feed him a few years ago when he had to stay there for a week as he refused to eat or drink without me being there.

We both have fingers and claws crossed for you. :)

Barbara
05-15-2006, 02:44 AM
I hope so much you can take Felicia with you. My mom is at a place where she is allowed to have her dog and she is soooo much happier there with Amber. They had a very very old kitty there who had to be PTS some weeks ago- she was 22 and really frail and in the last stages of kidney failure.
This kitty was so happy because. Most of the time she was sitting in the entrance hall just sleeping and watching. :)

orangemm
05-15-2006, 04:38 AM
What a wonderful group to offer ideas and support for Nancy and Felicia. I kept thinking about the situation you are in and I know I would be devastated, too, if there was any inkling that I might have to give my boys up.

Let's hope something can be worked out. I'll keep good thoughts and certainly a prayer or two can't hurt.

Randi
05-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Considering Felicia's age, I really hope you'll be able to take her with you, not only for her sake, but for your peace of mind. :) Say what ever it takes!

(((((hugs)))))

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Nancy, I will be praying for you, and hoping that you find a way to take Felicia with you.

I cannot even begin to imagine how you must be feeling at the moment, but I hope that you will continue to come to PT for words of encouragement and love.

I am sure I speak for many of us here when I say that if there is ANYTHING I can do to help, you only have to ask!

(((HUGS)))

moosmom
05-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Nancy,

I am SO very sorry for what I said in my post that I have since deleted. I didn't realize Felicia's age and you're right, after 17 years of being an indoor cat, it would probably cause problems with her health. Everyone's situation is different, and I know how devastating it can be to have to make that type of very difficult decision.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. :( You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Again, please forgive me. :(

((((((HUGS))))))))

Donna

Sonia59
05-15-2006, 08:23 AM
My thoughts are with you too, Nancy. I am sure you will find the best solution for you and Felicia
(((Hugs)))

ramanth
05-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm sorry you are not well Nancy. :( *hugs* I can't imagine being in your same situation. I hope something comes up and you're either able to keep Felicia or place her in a home.

Beauty17
05-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Dear Nancy -

I am so sorry for all your troubles. This has to be a very, very difficult time in your life, with so many problems to resolve. All I can say is that I care, and I will be glad for you when you have found some resolution that will bring you as much peace as possible. Peace is possible, once you have come to a decision that you know is the best you can possibly do, given the circumstances - and *that* is what I wish for you.

Lobodeb
05-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Prayers for you and your health. I can't imagine the pain you are going through both physically and emotionally.

I also pray that you find the best solution for everyone involved.

Miss Meow
05-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation and poor Felicia. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you can take her to your new home so she can see out her twilight years with you or a sanctuary can provide a home for her. Sending you lots of {{{hugs}}} and hope to hear some positive news.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Oh my gosh. :( Nancy, I am SO sorry to hear you have been put in such a difficult position. I will hope and pray that everything works out and you are able to either bring Felicia with you, or at the very least find an alternate home for her. I just can't imagine the heartbreak you must have gone through to come to this decision. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Nancy, here are some resources that may help you to keep Felicia with you. Hope they help!

Best Friends for Life, Humane Housing for Animals and People.
This booklet is available through the website of Doris Day Animal League, http://www.ddal.org/pubs/bestfriends/
or by calling (202)546-1761, by e-mailing [email protected], and thru Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals by calling (617)522-7400 or faxing (617) 522-4885. -- The first book is free, additional copies are $2.95
It covers topics such as:

• How disabled individuals may be eligible to keep pets even in "no-pets" housing
• A new federal law that allows pets in federally assisted housing
• Arguments that may allow animals in "no pet" privately owned housing
• Responsible pet guardianship
• How to convince your landlord to adopt a "pets welcome" policy
• Model rental guidelines that protect the rights of renters and animals

The MSPCA produces a booklet called Pets in People Places, Responsible Pet
Ownership in Multi-Unit Housing. phone: 617-522-7400

http://www.firepaw.org/CarpLiterature.html

Vermontcat
05-16-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you will not be able to keep both of your cats with you.
I'm glad that Beau will have a new home and that you will be able to visit him.
I hope that you will be able to keep Felicia with you or find a good person to take care of her for you.
Sending hugs your way, I know this can't be easy for you.
Just remember that you are a part of the Pet Talk family and that we care about you and your cats here. :)

catfamily
05-17-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm so very sorry for all your troubles.Your pets are your children and I'm happy you can visit one of them.The other will be at RB watching over you and protecting you.And very happy with your desicion.At rest now and thinking of you.You made the right desicion.Believe me...I've been there and know you did right.

jenluckenbach
05-29-2006, 06:10 AM
Nancy, Are you OK? Have you had any luck?

Russian Blue
05-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Oh Nancy, I'm so sorry. I missed this thread when it first appeared since I'm hit or miss on the forums these days. My heart goes out to you during this difficult time. If you need anything, please PM me and I'll do my best to find any resources or info you may need.

Thanks Jen for bumping this thread back up. Please check in if you can find a moment to let us know how you're making out.

AmberLee
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM
{{{Nancy}}} Sorry this post is so late, I don't get to PT much anymore.

Sending ~~~ vibes ~~~ and hoping your health challenges improve. Congrats on rehoming Beau. Much luxk with Felicia. What a horrible predicament you face. It must make your move even harder. :( :eek:

Holding you and your family in my prayers.

shihtzulover850
06-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Oh poor felicia!!! I will be praying for you!!! :( :( :( :( :(

Catty1
06-02-2006, 01:26 PM
I was just going to post a new thread....Nancy, how are things? What happened?

Prayers that you and your Felicia are ok!

hugs
Catty1

Felicia's Mom
06-03-2006, 09:39 PM
I haven't felt like being on Pet Talk lately.

The cats and I are still in the old apartment; the new one is being painted.

A friend (Kathryn) is going to keep Felicia for me while I move and get settled in. If I still can't keep her there, Kathryn said she will help find her a home.

Karen
06-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I haven't felt like being on Pet Talk lately.

The cats and I are still in the old apartment; the new one is being painted.

A friend (Kathryn) is going to keep Felicia for me while I move and get settled in. If I still can't keep her there, Kathryn said she will help find her a home.

Oh, that's good anyway. But we all, of course, hope Felicia can stay with you.

jenluckenbach
06-04-2006, 04:54 AM
May the Lord help you through this difficult time in your life. And remember, we here at Pet Talk care about you. Bless your friend who will help Felicia. Take care and please try to stay in touch (we worry, you know)

Barbara
06-04-2006, 05:03 AM
Nancy,
I am glad to hear from you and am so glad Kathryn is helping you with Felicia.
{{{{Hugs}}}}
We think of you very often and keep our fingers and paws crossed- for your health and for your kitties.

gini
06-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Nancy, I just saw this thread - how I missed it is beyond me.

My heart goes out to you - and I hope that there will be some way that you can have Felicia with you. After all, she is not in her prime anymore and not likely to cause damage.

You will have my prayers and good thoughts that this will work out just right for everyone.

moosmom
06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Nancy,

I'm praying that you and Felicia will be able to stay together. There's nothing more wonderful than a purring cat to help heal.

BIG (((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

Donna

Felicia's Mom
06-10-2006, 08:35 PM
An update on my problem; I am still waiting to move. The apartment I was going to move into rented out 7-8 apartments after I told them I would take one of them.

Actually, I am not as depressed as when I first started this thread. Back then, I didn't think I had a choice. Now I am thinking that maybe the cats and I can find a place together. Examples: a one room or a basement apt.

However, I am no longer working and earning money. I am not getting my pension or social security yet and can't get on some other programs until I am 65.

Catty1
06-10-2006, 10:29 PM
If you didn't sign a lease, then you are free to look for something else.

I know you aren't well...but could you exchange anything for a low rent? Housesitting, VERY light housecleaning, that sort of thing? (Get it on paper, so you aren't taken advantage of!)

If you have a friend who is a real estate agent, they might have some ideas.

Or - perhaps there is someone else in your situation....does the roommate idea appeal? You could help each other out.

Just some thoughts

Glad you aren't feeling so down...hugs!
Catty1

jenluckenbach
06-11-2006, 05:34 AM
This sounds like good news. Keep looking! There might be better alternatives. You will continue to be in my prayers.

Court
06-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Well..I know I'm responding kind of late but I hope that your health and money situation improve. I'm glad there may be another option for you and you can keep your babies!! My cats are my life and I'm sure you feel the same, especially having Felicia so long. I know it will work out for you, you are in my thoughts!! :)

orangemm
06-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I'll still be praying for all of you and that you can all stay together somehow. It's gotta happen!

Pembroke_Corgi
06-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I just saw this thread...I don't know exactly where you are in Iowa, but I'm in Iowa City. Is there anything I can do to help?

Felicia's Mom
06-11-2006, 08:35 PM
I just saw this thread...I don't know exactly where you are in Iowa, but I'm in Iowa City. Is there anything I can do to help?

I am in Cedar Rapids. Thanks, but there is nothing you can do to help. I need to be able to go back to work or get money like Social Security. Because all the money I had saved is just about gone.