PDA

View Full Version : I think I've decided..

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:03 PM
I think I've decided to be a Vegitarian/Vegan!
I really have been wanting to ever since I saw this one Animal awards show presentation, but I'm such a picky eater, and my diet consists mainly of meat so it's not going to be easy, but I *am* willing to give it a try.
Any other Vegitarians/Vegans have any tips?
(Something that will be easy though, is no milk, since I hate milk!)

luvofallhorses
05-13-2006, 09:05 PM
good luck! :) I couldn't do it I love seafood and chicken too much. :o

Vette
05-13-2006, 09:07 PM
*HUGGIES*

I wish you the very best of luck. ive tried to do that.. and erh...
well it didnt work out to well.. LOL

Karen
05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Be very careful about making sure you get a good balance of vitamins and minerals, plenty of dark green leafy vegetable to make sure you keep your iron levels up, etc.

Craftlady
05-13-2006, 09:16 PM
I'd consult a doctor or dietican before drastically changing your diet. I agree with Karen, without the proper vitamin & mineral balance you can do harm to your body.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I just realized how much stuff I couldn't eat, I could probably live without the meat, but the Dairy products would be Really hard =\...
Someone said If I still ate dairy products I'm still supporting this, but honestly I can't go without dairy products.
So I dunno.
Maybe it's easier than it sounds..

Karen
05-13-2006, 09:20 PM
That's the difference between being vegetarian (you can still eat dairy products) and vegan (no dairy).

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:24 PM
That's the difference between being vegetarian (you can still eat dairy products) and vegan (no dairy).
Oh yeah o__O
So I'll just be Vegitarian ^____^ or at least try..

chrissycat21
05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Good luck Bri! I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years now. So if you need any good recipes, let me know!

Like Karen said, definatley make sure you are getting all the nutrients needed! If you don't take a multivitamin already, it would be a good idea to start taking them.

If you give me an idea of what else you like to eat I can find you some good veggie recipes.

If you have a store like Trader Joe or Whole Foods near you, you should check them out! They have so much great vegetarian food there. (Plus, sometimes that have really, really good samples! :) )

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Good luck Bri! I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years now. So if you need any good recipes, let me know!

Like Karen said, definatley make sure you are getting all the nutrients needed! If you don't take a multivitamin already, it would be a good idea to start taking them.

If you give me an idea of what else you like to eat I can find you some good veggie recipes.

If you have a store like Trader Joe or Whole Foods near you, you should check them out! They have so much great vegetarian food there. (Plus, sometimes that have really, really good samples! :) )
I found a whole page of recipes, and I told my mom I would try some new things. In one of the recipes I found a ground beef substitute type thing, and my mom said she wouldn't eat it unless she knew what was in it :rolleyes:.
Well, my main source of protein has been Hamburger and chicken..so..
I love cucumbers, strawberries, apples, bananas, grapes, grapples, oranges, pears,(oops need more veggies! =P), Er....Corn, I *love* eggs, (and I still plan on eating them whether I'm supposed to or not :o) andd I guess that's All I can think of. I like alot more fruits than I do veggies though.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:59 PM
I hate to say this, but I don't think I can do it.
At LEAST not right now. I want to help the animals, but now is just a really bad time to start being a Veg...=\:(
Edit: I guess I can try for a few days, but I still don't know if I can do it.

Catty1
05-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Roxy - mostly, you have to find a non-meat source of PROTEIN. Meat is a great source of vitamin B12, so make sure you are taking a good supplement.

Rule of thumb is 100g per day for a woman, 125 for a man.

One book you might find in your library is Diet for a Small Planet. It tells you what foods to combine to make a complete protein(all the amino acids).

Mexican recipes are great. Kidney beans and corn? Complete protein!

Lots of pre-made soy products are available. I like using unsweetened soy milk, adding a bit of Stevia for sweetening, and making a great soy fruit shake!

Just add a new recipe or two at a time. A sudden dietary change can freak out your system.

Vegan - no meat or dairy
Pecto-vegetarian - eats seafood and fish (also jokingly called "fishitarian" or "aquarian")

I would like to go back to vegetarianism one day...still procrastinating....

good luck!

Catty1

buckner
05-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm a vegetarian who eats fish/seafood (I was told to by my doctor - my immune system was already weak enough, it wouldn't be able to handle the change without the Omega3's) and I have been for almost 2 years. In all honesty, it hasn't been that difficult. Most restaurants serve some kind of fish, and if not, it's no big deal. I love my fruits and veggies, so I can just have veggies from the menu. Of course, I don't eat anything fried, and I'm allergic to all dairy products, so being a vegetarian is a little more difficult. At home, it's pretty simple.. I buy foods I can eat.

I didn't really do it for the animals. IMO, you can't save all of the animals by one person not eating meat. Humans didn't get to the top of the food chain by eating carrots - it's the food chain, animals eat animals. That's how it works. Though, I do think there are better methods to slaughtering and I support the free-range farms and the private farms. I know plenty of people who only eat animals from a friend's farm (or something similar) because they want the meat, they just don't want to the animals to suffer when being killed.

I did it for health reasons. Heart disease runs in my family, and my grandfather died from heart failure. A week later, I became a vegetarian. I'm extremely aware of what goes into my body. On top of all of my picky eating habits, my gallbladder was removed back in February. I didn't eat any fatty foods before then, and I *can't* eat any of them now. So I have to be very careful about that.

So, if you want to become a vegetarian, that's great. I do suggest you just testing the waters a bit with it. See if it'll work for you. Don't drastically switch into veganism - doctors suggest to wait 1-3 years before transforming from vegetarian to vegan. It's such a huge thing for your body.

If I can get around being allergic to all dairy products, not eating any type of meat except fish, not eating any fatty/fried/greasy/blah foods, and not liking the taste of chocolate or anything too sweet, then you can easily handle finding enough foods to support your vegetarian habit. It's whether or not you're willing to go that extra mile to figure out what you like and what you can eat. :)

PS - Veggie burgers are wonderful. :)

Flatcoatluver
05-13-2006, 10:50 PM
PS - Veggie burgers are wonderful. :)
I completely agree with what everyone said. The first month of me being a vegetarian, I was so sick. Why? Because I wasn't eating the proper foods. It was a struggle and a lot of studying and I found out what I personally need. I spent a lot of money on special foods and vitamins, but it's worth it now because I feel so much better. I also agree veggie burgers are better then real burgers!!!

BC_MoM
05-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Here's a question I have for all of you vegetarians/vegans:
Why are you a vegetarian/vegan?

Lizzie
05-14-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm glad you are thinking about this but it may well take time for you to take that step. I've been vegetarian, often vegan, for nearly 20 years. Like you, I made this decision for animal welfare reasons. I think it's natural for people to eat meat, but I don't need to in order to fulfull my dietary requirements and so I don't. It's the intense farming methods, and some slaughter methods that made me decide to become a vegetarian. That said, beef is probably the "kindest" meat you can eat, and fowl and pig the "cruelest". If you want to change the way you eat for animal welfare reasons, increase the beef at the expense of pork, chicken and turkey. The dairy industry is not kind to animals, especially to male calves that are not intended for veal, so it's fortunate that you don't like milk - though you may well like cheese. I found cheese the hardest food to give up and I still buy goat cheese a few times a year.

It really is a big step to take and it's quite a shock when your body feels out of order for a few months as it adjusts to the changes. Once the change is made, it can be a very healthy diet. I don't take iron, or B12 or vitamins, but I always come out of my annual check-up with high marks. No anemia, and fabulous cholesterol results.

Becoming vegetarian is a very personal decision and you should think it over carefully, read a lot about the lifestyle. Little changes can be made over time. I remember that I gave up meats one at a time and it took a few years to give up shellfish, which I adored. I worked recently (I work at a university) with a young woman who thought about it for about three years before deciding to become vegan. She's a musician, hard rock, and it's part of her Straight Edge profile, but she had to take her time over making the change.

Sevaede
05-14-2006, 12:20 AM
I would love to go completely vegetarian (the only meat I can stand to even smell is some very over seasoned chicken. I *hate* the look, smell, taste, and texture of meat at any and all stages.) but my husband would never go for it. He is not very fond of most vegetables and fruits (tomatoes, bananas, salads, cucumbers, squash, etc.) and *loves* steak and whatnot. I do get to vegetarian occasionally so, the whole point is, go for it if you can. It can be very rewarding for those who have the means to be able to do it.

Sevaede
05-14-2006, 12:25 AM

There can/could be/is a number of different decisions.

For theirselves, it could specific health reasons and/or overall health. Or maybe they just don't like meat (Like myself. I find the very smell of cooking meat a very nauseating thing). For theirselves and their views it could be, as it is also for myself, a number of animal welfare reasons.

In any case, to each their own, right? :)

.sarah
05-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Personally I could never kill an animal myself so do not see why I deserve to eat them. And I cannot fathom the horror that is most slaughter houses. Granted, some places kill the animals humanely, but they are usually very expensive and it's cheaper to just cut out the meat :p

I do buy free-range eggs and milk from free-range cows, but I do not avoid dairy in other foods so it sort of defeats that purpose. I am a really picky eater though and my health would really suffer if I became a vegan.

I do feed my dogs raw food and at this time I buy mostly from the supermarket. However we're buying a freezer soon and I will be able to buy in bulk from some people I've met through the internet who sell humanely raised and killed animals, and this is what my dogs will get. I'll feel even better about what they're eating because it won't have the hormones and the animals will not have suffered. :D

EDIT: I also want to say that the main reason I became vegetarian was because of the videos of slaughter houses on PETA's website. No, PETA is not trustworthy, but in this case I think the videos are valid and it is truly an eye-opener. I continued to read things (from reputable sources ;)) about the horrors of slaughter houses and I was bawling the entire time. So this is what persuaded me to go vegetarian, but I had always been interested in it. When I ate meat it could absolutely not have a bone in it. I did not want to know it came from an animal. I basically hid from the truth.

Also, it can be a real pain in the a$$ sometimes. The first year or so I was ridiculed every day at meal time by my brother and dad. My friends always made fun of me. The meat still smells and looks appetizing. I can't eat fast food except for bean burritos at Taco Bell. Even the french fries at McDonalds are a no-no because they have beef in the oil. The restaurants I can go to are limited. I live in the south where no veggie is cooked without ham for flavoring, which is really annoying. But it is totally worth it. One vegetarian saves on average 95 animals a year from slaughter, vegans save even more. It is so worth it to me. And hey, the upside is my health is better, I've learned to stand up for what I believe in, and I have stayed thin - which was a battle for me before I went vegetarian.

Miss Z
05-14-2006, 02:50 AM

For me, I hate the idea that it was once roaming the earth and was slaughtered for my pleasure. Secondly, because many of these animals are fed chemicals to make them grow faster and are kept in terrible conditions during their life. And lastly, I really don't like the taste at all.

Good luck Bri! Just keep determined and you'll do fine. Nuts and pulses (beans) are good sources of protein and you could borrow a vegetarian recipe book from a library to see if there's anything that you would like. I would definitely become vegetarian before you go vegan, I've never tried it before but I think I'd find it very difficult.

Edit : just read Sarah's post. I completely sympathise with you about everything, especially the ridicule part. I always remember the time when I went to a wedding party and the meal ordered for everyone was roast beef. I was 10 at the time and had been veggie for nearly 2 years. I had to delay the meal for everyne by nearly an hour in order for the cooks to try and create me a vegetarian dish. I wanted the floor to swallow me up after people began checking their watches and complaining about the service. Also, when my brother eats meat, my parents often say that he'll be a big strong lad, not like his weakly sister who-has-decided-to-be-different-and-put-on-a-show-to-make-everyone-think-she's-something-special Zara. At that point I usually remind them that at the moment I am shotputt girl champion in my year at school for the girls (no i'm not muscly one bit so heaven knows how I did it) and I'd like to keep my figure thankyouverymuch.

I also read in National Geographic that vegetarians and vegans can live up to five years longer on average than other people.

Roxyluvsme13
05-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Well, another reason I'm doing this is for my health, not just the animals. This means I can't eat fast food, which makes my mom have to cook, and which is IMO alot healthier!
Of Course I'm doing it for the animals, too. I've seen several PETA videos, and read quite a few things, and they all have me in tears.
Today my mom is going to look for some Vegitarian lasagna, and we're going to the store to get some other things, too.
At this moment, my mom said she wouldn't allow me to be a Vegan. I get over half of my calcium from Dairy, and I have to have it.
Thanks for all the advice and tips everyone! :)

Zippy
05-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Good Luck Bri. :)
I could never do it.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Briana, there are a lot of things you can still eat being a vegetarian! :) Just because you go vegetarian doesn't mean you have to eat just healthy stuff all the time. (Which is what most people think). You just have to make sure you get enough protein with the proper amino acids and of course all your other vitamins too. If you eat dairy products, it shouldn't be too difficult, and there are plenty of vegetarian food combinations which offer all of the animo acids, for example rice and beans.

Also, most Americans get too much protein, which can lead to obesity and osteoporosis (eating too much protein depletes calcium). I wish you luck if you decide to go veg, I went veg at 13, and after the first few weeks, it was easy! Plus, now my mom is a vegetarian and my husband too. I like to throw vegetarian dinner parties for vegetarians/meat eaters too and you'd be surprised how much soy protein can taste like meat. Good luck, if you you would like any good recipes or anything, you can PM me. :)

Basically similar reasons as above. I believe those animals are treated inhumanely and do not have a proper quality of life. Also, it is easier on the environment to go veg. :D

Roxyluvsme13
05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
A found a ton of Veg Recipes at http://goveg.com and hopefully I can get my mom to try some, too! For lunch we're having salad and Vegetable Lasagna :D.

Iilo
05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
I was a no-red-meat vegitarian for 3 years when I was younger.

Now MEAT (especially beef!) is my favorite food. I'm pretty sure my body wants to make up for those years I didn't have meat.

I started being a "vegitarian" because I just didn't want to eat cows anymore. I stopped because I wanted to eat them. Simple as that.

Most of the beef I eat is free-range, organic beef. But I don't refrain from eating restaurant (usually Angus) beef.

Basically, I view vegitarianism and veganism as simply a personal choice. I don't see my personal choice to EAT meat as something that is cruel. Of course, I refrain from watching slaughterhouse propaganda videos... that would make me want to stop eating ANYTHING for a good month, I'm sure.

Roxyluvsme13
05-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Mmmm...
I just had Veggie Lasagna, and it's good :D.

Flatcoatluver
05-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Mmmm...
I just had Veggie Lasagna, and it's good :D.
yeah you can get them at costco for really cheap. Also you can get alot of veggie burgers there too. There really good!!

Almita
05-14-2006, 04:22 PM
ya i saw those at costco since myself i'm a vegetarian but i don't eat fish or seafood i will eat meat for protein if i reallly need to but that was when i never knew what else had the protein i needed now eat like corn for protein which I love. Mostly i became a vegetarian was mostly i was used to it because my aunts and uncles are vegetarians and i always ate what they ate and i loved it and when i saw the meat i would choose the healthy stuff more. I just do it because I love the food more than eating meat it makes me feel to not want the meat when i think of it or someone is eating it.

Roxyluvsme13
05-14-2006, 05:28 PM
^-^
This is alot easier than I thought, and for once I'm not hungry again 5 hours later!

chrissycat21
05-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Morning Star Farm has the best veggie burgers IMO. I love, love, love their grillers and the come in many different 'flavors'. Costco also has really good California Burgers that are made from all veggies that are really good, too.

Why am I a vegetarian? I could not stand the fact that I was eating an animal. I've always considred myself an animal lover, and I just couldn't handle the fact that I was eating them.

dogzr#1
05-14-2006, 07:10 PM
I wish I could become a vegitarian. I want to, but I want to wait until I finish growing. Like when I'm 16 or so. Sorry to say, but I don't really feel bad for eating an animal. :o Well good luck!