PDA

View Full Version : I been keeping a secrete

Laura's Babies
05-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes, it's true. I been keeping a secrete from all my PT friends for awhile now. I decided while on the boat the last time, that I would leave my babies at home, in their OWN house the next time I go to work as the vet suggested I do a year ago. Ever since I have been home, I been working on things to cat proff the house (if that is possiable), trying this and that to see what I needed to do. Pulled out the self feeders and waterers to see how they do with those and made some modifications to the kitty cafe to accomodate those and keep them steady. I have had to make changes and alter plans since they (the babies) are showing me what needs to be "fixed"...They are doing well with the kitty cafe's and the modifications for the free feeders and waterers, Amy even seems to like them better now.

Seeing how long it takes Amy to settle back in and just about the time she does, it is time for them to go back to Kevlin's and we start the cycle all over again. Now, Giz with this heart murmur and needing to keep her stress levels down too, I think it is time to give it a try. Mike (whom they ADORE) and Rie will be dropping in to check on them and tend to their needs. The parts I like about it the most is they will be close to their vet, won't have that long car ride, have their perches, beds, toys and all the comforts of home and MY bed, should they decide that is where they want to sleep. Rie made sure to ask me if she will still get to keep Chester and I told her she could.

This first time is just a trial to see how they do and if it will work better for THEM... this will be a permant arrangement. I haven't mentioned it here until I talked it over with Kevlin first and we discussed it today so I am free to tell all of you. I just think it is time to try it and see if it helps Amy and keeps her from bouncing from horriable to good. I think they will be happier, I even bought a timer for them to have light at nigh until around midnight and been using that already.

So, and feedback? Any ideas on how to pull this off SAFELY for them?

catmandu
05-13-2006, 06:53 PM
That I Think Is Probably A Beter Idea Than Taking Them Back And Forth.
I Know That The Found Cats All Love Thier Hotel And Would Not Care For Going Back And Forth To Different Homes, No Matter How Much They Like Them.
I Know That You Will Do The Best For Your Companions.

G535
05-13-2006, 09:49 PM
As long as someone is going to check on them daily I think it's a great idea, far less stress for all concerned. :)

Catty1
05-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Sounds good, especially since you are making the changes early, and the furkids can get used to everything and you can see early on what works and what needs tweaking.

They have each other for company too, so that is great.

BTW - I am sorry and almost afraid to ask - any news on Bridget?

hugs
Catty1

Corinna
05-13-2006, 11:29 PM
sounds like a much better arrangement for all. No waiting to gather all when you get home.

Laura's Babies
05-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Catty, I have put food out for Bridget since I got back and none of it has been touched. All the signs Samantha did last time we were home to alert me (and I didn't understand), she did not do this time. No one has caught sight of her since before I got back the last time. I set the trap the first week I was back and the food in it was always untouched and the trap unsprung. I think I really don't want to know what happened to her.. :(

Lizzie
05-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Since I was a little concerned by your previous arrangement, I'm really pleased by the change. I've heard that cats are more likely to be upset by a change in venue than by a change in personnel, with dogs being the opposite, and that's what I've seen with mine. I bet you come back to a happy and contented household after your next trip.

I'm sorry about Bridget. I too have been afraid to ask about her.

rg_girlca
05-14-2006, 01:31 AM
I'm all for the change Laura. You've done all the neccessary adjustments and you have very trustworthy people to come and check up on them. Personally, I think this is the best thing for them all around.
If you find it in your heart and have a good gut feeling about this, then go for it. :)

Killearn Kitties
05-14-2006, 04:11 AM
It sounds a great arrangement. I think the cats will be much happier staying in their own place, than being moved to a different environment.

CultureJunky
05-14-2006, 04:40 AM
I think that is a great idea Laura, whatever makes your babies happy is the main priority. When I go away for about 4 days to my boyfriends parents to visit (they live about 150 Miles away) I leave Jack and sunny home and my parents go around twice a day to feed them and pet them. I'd much prefer to have them home, so they are familier in thier own surroundings as although they miss us they don't have anything else to add to stress and they remain pretty calm. Also you have the added bonus that when you come home, they are there waiting and are so pleased to see you.
The best part of going away is coming home to be greeted by your cats :D

Barbara
05-14-2006, 06:00 AM
How often will people come and check in on them? When I'm going for vacations I have left Filou and Tigris in the apartment for up to 3 weeks- but with two visits per day. One one hand because of the litterbox- my boys insist on a clean litter box, on the other hand for some playing action and to see whether they are ok. Ok from time to time you have to remove a barfed hairball :rolleyes:
It has always worked out purrfectly. They were very happy when we came back but there was no problem whatever.

smokey the elder
05-14-2006, 07:06 AM
I think they'll be better off, especially since someone they know is taking care of them.

Kirsten
05-14-2006, 07:29 AM
I also think it's a better choice. They will feel much better in their familiar environment, and their times without you will be less stressful.

But I agree, someone should come and look for them at least twice a day. I had it arranged like that when I had to go to hospital 2 years ago.

Kirsten