PDA

View Full Version : HOT DOG and PIZZA?

RICHARD
05-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Designer dog burns down kitchen

A pet dog caused £30,000 of damage when it turned on its owner's cooker and burnt down the kitchen.

Skylar, a three-year-old 'goldendoodle', apparently started a kitchen fire when she tried to jump on the stove to get left-over pizza.

It happened after her owner Fred Haines left his home in Naperville, Illinois, to go to work, reports the Chicago Sun-Times.

The designer pooch, a cross between a golden retreiver and a poodle, is believed to have switched on a hob which ignited the cardboard underneath the pizza.

The flames spread to a nearby plastic cutting board, and then to the cabinets above the stove, Naperville fire officials said.

Haines, 32, said he had been running five minutes late: "I didn't do my typical sweep through the kitchen to make sure Skylar couldn't get at anything," he admitted.

Firefighters broke down a door after neighbours raised the alarm and rescued the unconscious Skylar. Paramedics used oxygen to revive her.

"Skylar's fur is white, but when I saw her that day, she was literally a black dog from the fire's soot and ash," Haines said.

Laura's Babies
05-13-2006, 04:58 PM
WOW! Must remember NEVER leave food on the stove! Thank God they saved the dog..

chocolatepuppy
05-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank goodness my controls are on the back of the stove, that way, only the cats can burn down my house. ;)

lizbud
05-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Thank goodness my controls are on the back of the stove, that way, only the cats can burn down my house. ;)

Same here. The cats aren't strong enough to push the buttons & usually
don't get up there anyway.

Chilli
05-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow, it sounds like something our Skylar would do. :rolleyes:
I'm glad no one was hurt! And that the fire was caught in time before causing even more damage.