PDA

View Full Version : Possible 2nd dog

Pawsitive Thinking
05-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Just had a call from a woman who has a 7 month old Patterdale x JRT boy she needs to rehome! She is bringing him round on Monday evening to meet Tobey and see how they get on - any advice on how best to handle this?

charlestongirl
05-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I would say have patience. I wish I could offer better advice though, I'm sure many will.

I have 2 dogs. They come from the same mom and dad dog though, but different litters. I got Lily when Winnie was 6 months old. I was really worried how Winnie would act. She did seem a bit jealous/moody for a bit but really with the exception of one or 2 minor issues, I love seeing them together.

People will say, "Your dog doesn't need another dog, just you" but really, my 2 dogs love each other. When Lily was spayed she was groggy when I brought her home and Winnie stood over her whining, was so sad cause Lily wouldn't play. They miss each other if they are seperated and they play together so nicely.

With time and patience the 2 dogs could grow to love each other, I think most dogs go well together, depending on their backgrounds of course.

Alysser
05-13-2006, 10:36 AM
I hope they get along! :D CONGRATS!

DO NOT introduce them in your house! Outside is best and on neutrel territory! Sorry I couldn't help much. But good luck.

Chilli
05-13-2006, 10:55 AM
I hope it works out great! :)
Well, I think it depends on the personality of the dogs.
I hear one of the better ways to do it is to let them meet at a park or something, so neither of them feel the need to protect their territory. Let them sniff eachother out and such. And once you feel comfortable, maybe try taking them into the house? I'm not sure, though. When we introduced Ethan to Frisk, they were in Petco and they got more used to each other on the car ride home.
With Skylar, my sister held Skylar firmly so that he didn't jump up or be too playful with my dogs and let my dogs come and sniff him and such. But we knew it was okay to do this, since both of my boys react well to new dogs in the house.
Whichever way you decide would be best, I wish you luck! :D

JenBKR
05-13-2006, 11:07 AM
No advice, but YIPPI a friend for Tobey! I'm so excited!

labmomma
05-13-2006, 11:24 AM
I have two labs and the two are joined at the hip. I got Sam, rescued at 12 weeks, so that Hokie, rescued at 13 months, would stay home and have someone to play with. It worked beautifully and where one is so is the other. If anything should ever happen they'd have to be kept together. When I took Hokie for his heartworm treatment Sam looked everywhere for him. When he got home he was so sore in his rear legs that he couldn't run and play. Sam just stood over him and whined and he was only 3 months at the time. Seeing the two of them together is the light of my life and all is well.
Labmomma :)

lute
05-13-2006, 01:16 PM
congrats! make sure they meet on neutral ground and are off leash in a fenced area. when off leash it makes it easier for them to act like a dog. pay LOTS of attention to Tobey so he doesn't get jealous of the other dog.

good luck and take lots of pics! :D

k9krazee
05-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Yay!! Hope things go well!!

Pawsitive Thinking
05-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Rang the lady today and she said she wouldn't have brought him straight to the house anyway which bodes well.....have arranged to meet them either this evening or tomorrow for walkies

gemini9961
05-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Denise,

Can't wait for pics of Tobey's new buddy. :D :D

tessa_s212
05-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Goodluck! I hope all goes well and everyone gets along! :D

Pembroke_Corgi
05-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Good luck!!! Hope everything goes very well!! :D

Daisy and Delilah
05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Great news Denise! I hope Tobey gets a new friend. We'll keep all fingers and paws crossed that things go well. Can't wait for the pics :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-15-2006, 04:32 AM
Aw this is great news for Tobey!! Of course they will get along; just give it some time; I like the idea of walks together!!
Good luck with introducing him to Brody too :)

hey, what is his name??

Pawsitive Thinking
05-15-2006, 04:37 AM
We think his name is Gainsborough (that won't be staying!!) - he comes from a home in Brighton and is 9 months old. Hope to get some pictures to show you all when we meet tonight :D :eek: Tobey loves other dogs but I don't about one coming in to "his" home. He liked having my Aunty's dog round so we shall see........

Pawsitive Thinking
05-15-2006, 04:56 AM
I hope they get along! :D CONGRATS!

DO NOT introduce them in your house! Outside is best and on neutrel territory! Sorry I couldn't help much. But good luck.

Great advice - thank you

Oggyflute
05-15-2006, 06:16 AM
Great news for both you & Tobey. I hope things go well, and a different name is probably the go. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
05-16-2006, 04:43 AM
:D http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=104907