PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of dominance down?

ashleycat
05-13-2006, 09:18 AM
My friend is a dog trainer. And she says that nilf is really hard or takes a lot of time or whatever. So her style is DD.

she says that when he is bad you get him down on his side. Hold him down and growl at him like a mama dog.

What are your thoughts?

JenBKR
05-13-2006, 09:21 AM
I've never heard of that, but I'd be interested in other people's thoughts! Sorry I couldn't be much help.

cyber-sibes
05-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Yes, I've seen that. But I disagree with her assesment of NILIF. It is a GREAT system of training, especially with strong-willed breeds. It just takes consistency. WELL worth the effort! "Nothing -in-life-is-free" just means that before the dog gets anything, he has to sit, be quiet, stay...whatever you ask of him, before he gets whatever it is - his food, a toy, petted. He learns that YOU are the source of all good things, and he doesn't have to fight you for them. I really don't understand her objection. :confused:

ashleycat
05-13-2006, 09:53 AM
I think it was the leashe inside part.

Karen
05-13-2006, 10:21 AM
The "dominance down" theory has huge risks, especially if you are dealing with an adult dog, or a dog with "issues." I don't think it will help the marking in the house one bit. NILF is much safer and better for everyone concerned, it is just harder for YOU, the person, to be consistent, but it's vital. I really think, until the marking in the house is completely gone, he has to be on the leash at ALL times. If there's nothing medical going on, then it's definitely part of the "who is in charge here" issue. Do you do the whole NILF - like you eat something while he's waiting before you give him his food, etc.?

ashleycat
05-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Yep... the only thing i have a hard time doing is keeping him on the leash ALL times. lol.

Karen
05-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Yes, it's hard, but it will be worth it in the long run. You just have to be more stubborn than him. At the end of this process, you'll have a happier, healthier relationship with you and your pup.

Glacier
05-13-2006, 11:34 AM
The dominance theory is a great way to loose your nose. Being over top of a dog is not only dominant, it's extremely threatening to them. If you're dealing with a dog who already has issues, the risk of a serious bite is huge. The whole theory is an outdated training method. I wouldn't take any of my dogs to anyone who still followed it. All you are teaching the dog is that you are bigger, stronger, and scary. Personally, I don't want my dogs to respond because they are afraid of what I'll do to them if they don't.

ashleycat
05-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Yes that's what I was thinking. I tried it a few times and after he seemed a bit scared. So I haven't done it since.

binka_nugget
05-13-2006, 12:31 PM
It sounds similar to alpha rolling.. which can be really dangerous. When we adopted Kaedyn, he would try to bite if I towered over him (my mistake). I didn't dare try to make him to submit because I know there would have been blood if I had tried.

I teach all my clients how to become alpha through NILIF. NILIF just seems like a smarter way to go because alpha rolling or doing the dominance down is really just forcing the dog to submit. He hasn't gained any respect for you as a leader. NILIF though shows the dog that you are the source of everything good and does eventually gain his respect.

Lori Jordan
05-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I have heard of it before the dog trainer did that too my RB Bandit he was having behavior problems she did that too him and it scared him so bad he wet himself and nearly took her face off,id never train an animal like that i dont want them scared of me and i have never hit my dogs some people say giving them a cuff works i dont think so that just makes a dog cowar...JMO

Vela
05-13-2006, 02:04 PM
The "dominance down" theory has huge risks, especially if you are dealing with an adult dog, or a dog with "issues." I don't think it will help the marking in the house one bit. NILF is much safer and better for everyone concerned, it is just harder for YOU, the person, to be consistent, but it's vital. I really think, until the marking in the house is completely gone, he has to be on the leash at ALL times. If there's nothing medical going on, then it's definitely part of the "who is in charge here" issue. Do you do the whole NILF - like you eat something while he's waiting before you give him his food, etc.?

I agree completely with what Karen says here.

lute
05-13-2006, 02:50 PM
i've heard of it, but don't totally agree with it. i think you must know the dog so there isn't a chance of the dog harming you. i also think that it shouldn't be done unless there is nothing else that can be done to control the dog. i've done it twice and found it succesful. i don't "growl" at the dog. i just talk to them in a deep voice.

IRescue452
05-13-2006, 05:33 PM
I agree that it sounds horrible, more aggressive than dominant anyway, I certainly wouldn't use it. Seems kind of similar to what the ceasar milan guy tries, basically scaring the dog into a freeze. No training/learning involved. When our dogs were puppies though we did exercises where we would hold them on their bellies or on their sides until they stopped wiggling. It was different though as we weren't threatening in any way, just holding them. I think it did a lot of good though with trust and knowing who's dominant.

Sevaede
05-13-2006, 11:03 PM
The dominance theory is a great way to loose your nose. Being over top of a dog is not only dominant, it's extremely threatening to them. If you're dealing with a dog who already has issues, the risk of a serious bite is huge. The whole theory is an outdated training method. I wouldn't take any of my dogs to anyone who still followed it. All you are teaching the dog is that you are bigger, stronger, and scary. Personally, I don't want my dogs to respond because they are afraid of what I'll do to them if they don't.

I concur!