PDA

View Full Version : I ask the help of PT...

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 08:23 AM
I don't know how much help I can get or anything, but I'm not going to let this poor guy die.
Around my grandpa's neighborhood, there's a little Terrier-y looking dog, who I named Scamp. He's a stray, and he's in REALLY Bad condition. I absolutely don't want to send him to the shelter, since it IS a Kill Shelter, but I don't know what else to do.
He's limping, he's not fixed, and he's wearing a choke chain. He is a very loving little guy once you get to know him. If I was a rich person, I would take him in a heartbeat, and give him a happy life, but since I'm not I'm asking for PT help.
My mom won't let me bring him here, but he's not too far from me.
As I said, he's going to need..
-Neutering
-a Vet Check up
-Food
-Any other things
I really was hoping PT could donate some money or something, but since I don't have Paypal or anything I don't know what to do...
Any suggestions, or anybody willing to help? :(

Alysser
05-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Sorry Bri, I can't help here. BUT I do have a few suggestions up my sleeve. If he has a choke chain around his neck then he has to have been owned by someone and maybe he still is. Find out if he still is.

If you can't find anyone can your grandpa take him in?? :confused: Or at least keep him in a fenced yard with shelter and food?

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Sorry Bri, I can't help here. BUT I do have a few suggestions up my sleeve. If he has a choke chain around his neck then he has to have been owned by someone and maybe he still is. Find out if he still is.

If you can't find anyone can your grandpa take him in?? :confused: Or at least keep him in a fenced yard with shelter and food?
He's definitely not owned. Someone has dumped him and left him to fend for himself. My grandpa with a dog? YEAH, right. He doesn't have a fenced yard anyways, but maybe I could keep him somewhere :(. I just don't know. Thanks for trying to help, Alyssa.

Kfamr
05-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Your heart may be in the right place, but we will need to know the contact information for the vets, and about how much he will need before money can be given.

Money can be sent directly to the vets.

If your mom won't let you take him there, where the heck is he going to go after vet care?

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Your heart may be in the right place, but we will need to know the contact information for the vets, and about how much he will need before money can be given.

Money can be sent directly to the vets.
I don't think our vets directly take money??
and I don't think my mom is going to like this too much, (:rolleyes: )
I was thinking of maybe getting him neutered here since it's the cheapest in town. I'll email them.
http://goodnewsclinic.com

Kfamr
05-13-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't think our vets directly take money??
and I don't think my mom is going to like this too much, (:rolleyes: )
I was thinking of maybe getting him neutered here since it's the cheapest in town. I'll email them.
http://goodnewsclinic.com

Most vets will take any form of money and also have Payment Plans for their clients. I don't know of many people who will just send money for an animal without sending it directly to the vet.

You need to talk with your vet before anyone else can do anything.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Most vets will take any form of money and also have Payment Plans for their clients. I don't know of many people who will just send money for an animal without sending it directly to the vet.

You need to talk with your vet before anyone else can do anything.
Okay. I really am not worrying as much about neuter as much as his leg and coat condition. I'm sure he may need surgery on his leg, and he really needs his nails and coat trimmed. Plus, I need to worry about feeding him. Dog treats are not gonna work for long.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:10 AM
To add to all this, if you can buy online, that would most definitely help. You could have the stuff shipped to me.
I'll work on calling the vet in a little while, since I'm pretty sure they aren't open now.

cyber-sibes
05-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Brianna, I understand your concern about his wellfare, but he sounds like he will probably be very adoptable once he's cleaned up. If he goes to a shelter they will take care of his vet care, food and shelter. And just because it's a kill shelter, doesn't mean he will be automatically killed, shelters usually allow several months in which to try to find a home. A small dog with a good temperment stands a pretty good chance of being adopted. You could always work hard at trying to find someone to adopt him - put up signs, talk to people. Don't assume the shelter is the worst thing that could happen to him - he would get the care he needs, and have a good chance of finding a forever home. ;) When you are an adult with your own place & income, you will have more options. Your heart is in the right place!

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Brianna, I understand your concern about his wellfare, but he sounds like he will probably be very adoptable once he's cleaned up. If he goes to a shelter they will take care of his vet care, food and shelter. And just because it's a kill shelter, doesn't mean he will be automatically killed, shelters usually allow several months in which to try to find a home. A small dog with a good temperment stands a pretty good chance of being adopted. You could always work hard at trying to find someone to adopt him - put up signs, talk to people. Don't assume the shelter is the worst thing that could happen to him - he would get the care he needs, and have a good chance of finding a forever home. ;) When you are an adult with your own place & income, you will have more options. Your heart is in the right place!
Well, Roxy didn't get adopted, =\. Of course she looks a bit intimidating to most people, too. If I can't do anything for him, then maybe I will call the shelter...*sigh*

k9krazee
05-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Or you could always find a rescue group that would take him in...

Kfamr
05-13-2006, 09:37 AM
When you are an adult with your own place & income, you will have more options.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

If your mom is not going to be happy about this, how are you going to have transportation to and from the vets for you and the dog?
What if PT doesn't have enough money?

Call shelters, call vets, call rescues...

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:39 AM
[/b]

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

If your mom is not going to be happy about this, how are you going to have transportation to and from the vets for you and the dog?
What if PT doesn't have enough money?

Call shelters, call vets, call rescues...
My mom may fall in love with him and let me keep him. (:rolleyes: I was kidding)
I dunno what I'll do yet. He's been living this long. I'm just trying to sort stuff out right now.

animal_rescue
05-13-2006, 09:40 AM
It would be best just to take him to the shelter, hun. He's a small dog and the small dogs with good temperments have excellent chances of being adopted.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:43 AM
It would be best just to take him to the shelter, hun. He's a small dog and the small dogs with good temperments have excellent chances of being adopted.
He doesn't really have a good temperament though. He's actually quite the agressive little guy. It took me quite a while to get him to finally trust me.

Alysser
05-13-2006, 09:47 AM
I agree with k9krazee. Find out what type of breeds he can be. Try and get a picture and we can help you. Then you could call a breed specific rescue. They adopt out their breed and mutts of their breed. Rescues place these dogs in foster homes and they will get used to people. Please consider this.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I agree with k9krazee. Find out what type of breeds he can be. Try and get a picture and we can help you. Then you could call a breed specific rescue. They adopt out their breed and mutts of their breed. Rescues place these dogs in foster homes and they will get used to people. Please consider this.
Can't get a pic since my USB thing is still broken.
I looked up rescues near me, and the nearest one is only an hour away, but I don't wanna take him there, since the county is bad. (Long story.)
The one I want ot take him to is 2 hours away, but since I can't drive IDK.
As I said I'm STILL sorting things out, and I haven't made any real decisions yet.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 10:35 AM
UPDATE:
My grandpa has a fenced in pool area! (We dont use the swimming pool anymore and it has a cover over it. It would keep Scamp confined, and he would have shelter, and a place to run and get exercise.

BC_MoM
05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
And most shelters have a holding policy where a stray must be held for a certain number of days before being labelled as "adoptable".

I'm guessing the pool cover is one of those hard ones you can walk on and not just the plastic tarps?

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 12:42 PM
And most shelters have a holding policy where a stray must be held for a certain number of days before being labelled as "adoptable".

I'm guessing the pool cover is one of those hard ones you can walk on and not just the plastic tarps?
Yes, it's one of those hard ones. And, our shelter does that, but as I already said, he IS agressive.

k9krazee
05-13-2006, 12:45 PM
UPDATE:
My grandpa has a fenced in pool area! (We dont use the swimming pool anymore and it has a cover over it. It would keep Scamp confined, and he would have shelter, and a place to run and get exercise.

Is your Grandpa planning on keeping him then?

I still think the best thing would be to go to a shelter or rescue group, where he can get medical attention if he needs it and be evaluated for adoption, but thats just my opinion.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Is your Grandpa planning on keeping him then?

I still think the best thing would be to go to a shelter or rescue group, where he can get medical attention if he needs it and be evaluated for adoption, but thats just my opinion.
No, it was just a thought.
Megan (animal_rescue) has already contacted a Rescue group for me, and we're waiting for an answer.

jackie
05-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Your heart is the right place, but I honestly do not see the point in getting the dog medical attention, then just dropping him in the street again.

I agree with those who mentioned calling the shelter.

Roxyluvsme13
05-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Your heart is the right place, but I honestly do not see the point in getting the dog medical attention, then just dropping him in the street again.

Who said we'd be dropping him on the street again after we got him medical attention? :confused:

lost_milo
05-13-2006, 08:25 PM
I agree
You mention that he's aggressive but you also have to remember he's lost and scared. Right now it's hard for him to trust anyone and the good thing is he trust you because he knows you mean him no harm. The best thing you can do is try to find someone who can take him in just for a little while then find some rescues/shelters that are willing to take him. It's the best thing for him, you can't hide him forever. I wish I live close by I would be of more help to you.

buttercup132
05-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Told you the shelter isnt a bad place. Just because Roxy didnt get adopted doesnt mean he wont, doesnt mean he doesnt have a family...And he warmed up to you I'm sure he'll warm up to other people. He's probly scared not agressive. I agree 100% with what Cyber Sibes said

BOBS DAD
05-13-2006, 09:09 PM

I agree Roxy,

If you call the shelter (the one you like) they may in fact, be willing to come out and get him. And as has already been stated, they will clean him up, get him all the medical attention he may need and "advertise" him for adoption. You could at that time choose to solicit additionally on your own, by forwarding their link page and posting on PT, Petfinder, etc..

If all else failed, you could try a last minute save effort "by rescuing him" yourself if his time ran out. Think about it!!!

jackie
05-14-2006, 09:47 AM
He's definitely not owned. Someone has dumped him and left him to fend for himself. My grandpa with a dog? YEAH, right. He doesn't have a fenced yard anyways, but maybe I could keep him somewhere :(. I just don't know. Thanks for trying to help, Alyssa.

You never mentiond somewhere where he could go. Your mother and Grandfather don't seem keen on helping you out, that is why I assume you are just planning on dumping him in the street again. Or did I miss something. :confused:

Roxyluvsme13
05-14-2006, 09:49 AM
You never mentiond somewhere where he could go. Your mother and Grandfather don't seem keen on helping you out, that is why I assume you are just planning on dumping him in the street again. Or did I miss something. :confused:
I said my friend had contacted a Rescue, and we were waiting on a reply. If that doesn't work, then he'll probably end up at the shelter, and HOPEFULLY get a loving home.

jackie
05-14-2006, 09:56 AM
yes, you mentioned that about 5 minutes before I posted my original response, before that you didn't have many options.

Anyways, do you have an update?

Roxyluvsme13
05-14-2006, 10:16 AM
yes, you mentioned that about 5 minutes before I posted my original response, before that you didn't have many options.

Anyways, do you have an update?
Sorry :o.
He wasn't at my grandpa's yesterday, but I think he roams around. I was *going* to take off his Choke Chain if he was there, but since he wasn't..
And, no news from the Rescue yet.