PDA

View Full Version : What's In A Name?

BOBS DAD
05-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Why are so many dogs named Sadie???

I asked today's DOTD... but she didn't know. I mean, do a lot of dogs just look like a "Sadie"? My brother had a dog named Sadie. I see and hear a lot of people call their dogs, "Here Sadie". Some are named Sadie here on PT. Do you think Sadie is the most popular dog name? Or is it Ginger or maybe Max???

Sadie reminds me of a tough old pioneer lady. Strong but pretty - in her own right. Took her family across the Sierra and settled in CA. I found a site which listed the top 6000 dog names in the U.S. (voted by their users). It says Rocky, Lily and Amber are the top three. Rocky - maybe... but Lily and Amber??? I went to school with them!!! And some of the names in the top 50 - I don't know about. Max, Princess, Duke - OK, but Hermione, Jasmine and Mackenzie??? Really? Can you just hear someone calling "Hermione, Come here Hermione"? How do you even say that anyway "Her-mee-own", "Her-my-own-ee"...

Now what happened to the good ol' days, when men were men and women were women and you know - dogs were dogs... and you could tell who was being called "just by their name". If I heard someone call, "Rex, come here... your dinner is ready" - I knew it was a dog. "Sally, time to come home" and a pretty young lady would leave the crowd. But what could you expect if someone called out, "Mackenzie"??? Apparently, anyone or everyone might have to leave?

What ever happened to King, Rex or Molly. When I was a kid, everybody had a dog named Molly. And you could tell people's social status and position by their dog and it's name. Middle class, blue collar people had Colllies, Beagles, Labs and Mutts. They gave them names like Blackie (creative for a dark,almost all black dog), Peppy (aka hyper), Molly (traditional) and Shaggy (reserved for dogs with hair longer than an inch). Rich people had Poodles, Chihuahuas and Pugs... then a came along a group of really girly yappers that nobody recognized and had names that were hard to pronounce - Pomeranians, Pekingeses and Shih Tzus. They had names like Fifi, Fufu and Princess. Poor People had lots of hounds (mixes), bulldogs and a variety of mongrels. All with plain names like Jack, Max and Blue. Then there were the hoods - "Gangstars" today. They had the greatest dogs. Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, German Shephards, and Boxers and any mixture of the before mentioned. They had "junkyard dog" reputations and were proud of them. They spent a lot of money on their dogs appearances getting their ears pinned, tails docked and collars with big garish metal spikes or rhinestones. They had names like King, Prince, Rex and Killer. They always had their dogs off leash and you would walk a mile out of your way to get home and avoid them.

Those were the days!!! Now I am sooo confused!!! :D :D :D

Karen
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Hermoine is a main charater in the Harry Potter series - the smart girl who is one of Harry's best friends. Her name is pronounced HerMOYnee.

Sadie, of course, rhymes with Lady, and is a good name to call out - two syllables, ends in eeee. So a simple choice for a dog name, and I don' know any human girls named Sadie, so that's better than some names.

shihtzulover850
05-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I named my dog snuggles. Two of my cousins have dogs named snow and snowball. I have another cousin with a great dane named audrey I like that one.

BC_MoM
05-12-2006, 12:16 PM
hehe.. My two have classical names.. Mickey and Molly. :) Those are the kind of names I love. I don't like and would NEVER name a dog names like Bullet, Snooker, Buttons, Mojo, etc..

IRescue452
05-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I named mine Autumn, which is close to Amber. I guess its all a preference for people. Obviously you prefer traditional names. I hate them, no Princess/Prince, Max, Rex, Tobey, Sadie, Missy, or Molly here.
I also really dislike names that are for the animal's colour. Stripe, Blackie, Spot, Midnight- these to me are the least creative names. I must admit Autumn could stand for her colour, but I picked the name before I even had the dog because I liked the name first.
I don't mind dogs having human names or visa versa, its all in the demographics whether or not the area you live in uses the name more for dogs or people.
I like random names. I've got pets names Requiem, Epitaph, Morty, Depot, Tony, Gull, Angel, Mrs. Nesbet, Brillo, Caddis, Aphid, Othello, Sonny, and Autumn. Nothing really matches, I don't really have "cute" little sets of names.

Samantha Puppy
05-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Actually, Hermione is pronounced "her-MY-uh-nee".

I like human names for animals. My baby girl is Samantha. :)

Glacier
05-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't get to name most of my dogs. They all tend to arrive here with names and usually they know them so I don't change them.

Most mushers give their litters theme names. My Sundin comes from a litter all named after Toronto Maple Leaf players. Pingo's litter was all named after Yukon geological features. Paxil's litter is all named after anti-depressants! Sleet are all some form of weather.

Stuart likes First Nations names--Muskwa and Heyoka are dogs he named. I named Earle after my other obsession, Steve Earle!

Deuce arrived here named Bandit, but I already had a Bandit. Calling him Two just didn't work so he became Deuce!

When I was a kid, my Mom had a little terrier named Babes! My Dad always refused to call her if there was anyone around....picture a very tall man wandering around calling "Come here Babes!"...ROFL!! :D

Kfamr
05-12-2006, 12:38 PM
It's all in personal preference.

I generally don't hear, or don't recall ever hearing, someone calling their kid.."HERE SADIE, COME HERE SADIE, HERE GIRL!" and am usually able to distinguish as to wether or not someone's calling their dog or a human.

My mom had a Saint Benard growing up named Barney. Dad had a Doxie named Peppy. NEVER would I name a dog either of those, nothing wrong with em... just not my personal preference!

I notice a lot of owners with more unique/different dog names rarely actually call their dog by their full name. Mine for example... Simba is Sim, Kiara is Ki or Kiki, and Nala is Horse. :p Nala's name doesn't fit in this, but I generally like names that can be shortened to a nickname. When recalling my dogs or telling them do to a command I usually use their full name.

A few names I'd like to use in the future...
Mufasa & Sarabi.

Mu (moo) & Bibi (beebee) for short.

joanofark
05-12-2006, 01:19 PM
I didn’t have a lot of say when we got Duke, so I don't know where his name came from. Hobo, was picked by me. We just though it was cute (;)). And Ace's name is a Nickname for one of my dad's favorite Ultimate Fighters :rolleyes: :p. But we usually we like to keep names that are short. Only one or two syllables.

So I guess you could say be don't have human names. And they're just plain ol’ ones like Jack, Max and Blue. :)

Future names for me might be Aslan (For a male cat). Lmbo, get it? From the Narnia series?? :);)

BOBS DAD
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
I didn’t have a lot of say when we got Duke, so I don't know where his name came from. Hobo, was picked by me. We just though it was cute (;)). And Ace's name is a Nickname for one of my dad's favorite Ultimate Fighters :rolleyes: :p. But we usually we like to keep names that are short. Only one or two syllables.

So I guess you could say be don't have human names. And they're just plain ol’ ones like Jack, Max and Blue. :)

Future names for me might be Aslan (For a male cat). Lmbo, get it? From the Narnia series?? :);)

YES... I like those! (Not that I "don't" like all of the pets, their humans and their names here). Yer critters would have fit right in to my ol' neighborhood!!!

ParNone
05-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Great post Bob's Dad!

Whenever I hear the name Sadie, I think of Barbra Streisand and Funny Girl... "Sadie, Sadie Married Lady"... 20 or 30 yrs ago, Barb had a poodle named Sadie, who adorned the cover of one of her Albums. So maybe Barb started the trend. :)

I like to ponder people's choices in names and breeds and what it says about them too. I notice a lot of people like to name their dogs "people names". But I figure having a dog is the perfect chance to be creative and not worry that the other dogs will tease them about their name. ;)

Wouldn't you know though that when I named Maddie, Madison, after the mermaid in Splash, thinking I'd picked something unique, it turns out that now, every other lil' girl seems to be named Madison.

I don't think I have to worry so much about running into a slew of kids named Murph, Oz or Gulliver, but they're gaining in popularity amongst pet names, especially Murph. Although his full name is McMurphy, which is still somewhat unique. Because of Wizard of Oz and Ozzy Osbourne, I guess Oz never really had much of a chance at being unique. But you'd think I'd have had a shot with Gulliver. But dang if I haven't run into 3 or 4 puppies named Gulliver in the last 2 weeks. Ah well, I guess you just gotta name'em what sounds good to you and not worry about the rest.

Anywho, I loved reading your post. Very well written.

Par...

Uabassoon
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
According to listings on Dogster these are the top ten female dog names.

Lucy
Molly
Daisy
Maggie
Bella
Chloe
Sadie
Bailey
Zoe
Lola

Here are the top 10 male dog names.
Max
Buddy
Jake
Bailey
Charlie
Rocky
Toby
Jack
Buster
Oscar

Uabassoon
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I like to give my pets names that aren't very common. I know that it doesn't really matter, but I think I feel like there name is special if I give them something that isn't very common. Or maybe I'm just bitter because I have a very common name!

BOBS DAD
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I like to ponder people's choices in names and breeds and what it says about them too. I notice a lot of people like to name their dogs "people names". But I figure having a dog is the perfect chance to be creative and not worry that the other dogs will tease them about their name.

THAT... is a very funny line!!! ;)

Cincy'sMom
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Why Sadie?

Well, for us, before we ever went to meet our baby girl, we had narrowed it down to two names, Sadie, after my husband's neighbor's dog growing up, and Panada, becuase she was black and white. After meeting her, Sadie fit so much better (even before I knew it meant princess!). IT wasn't until a year or so later I relaized every black lab mix was named Sadie!!

Cincy is our most unusaly name of the three, but she was named for the UNiveristy of Cincinnati, where my husband and I met.

Spot, well you just don't get much more classic then that!!

luvofallhorses
05-12-2006, 02:03 PM
my first dog's name was Lucy..I had a dog named Daisy. I have a Buster and a Rocky. :) and I had a basset hound named Buddy.

Jenny is Jenny because my mom wanted to name her after my grandma (my mom's mother..) They spelled it Genny and my grandma's name was Geneva. I spelled it J-e-n-n-y, because it looks better!

Rocky is Rocky because we got him in a town named Rocker.

Buster is Buster because all would come out of my mouth when we first had him I would say "Buster Button" or get out of there Buster..so it stuck

Ginger is Ginger is because of her color. My mom's mother (my grandmother) named her that. My mom inherited her from my grandma (her mother) when she passed away in 2003.

and for the cats..

Miagi was going to be Simba, but my mom said everyone's cats are named that or dogs. She said Mowgli and the next thing that came out of her mouth was Miagi. :)

Tiger was already named, I wanted to name him Tigger, but Tiger just stuck.

:D

According to listings on Dogster these are the top ten female dog names.

Lucy
Molly
Daisy
Maggie
Bella
Chloe
Sadie
Bailey
Zoe
Lola

Here are the top 10 male dog names.
Max
Buddy
Jake
Bailey
Charlie
Rocky
Toby
Jack
Buster
Oscar

BOBS DAD
05-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Spot, well you just don't get much more classic then that!!

That also is very funny!!!

And oh well... yes, seems that most black lab mixes are Sadie (that was my brother's dog mix too).

P.S.
Dog-Names.us list these as their top 50???
1. Rocky 2. Lily 3. Amber 4. Jasper 5. Cinnamon 6. Princess 7. Max 8. Duke 9. Cody 10. Case 11. Dickens 12. Zoe 13. Sierra 14. Felix 15. Ace 16. Oliver 17. Wilson 18. Andrea 19. Jonathan 20. Hermione 21. Seth 22. Hudson 23. Daisy 24. Bryan 25. Bonnie 26. Ginger 27. Molly 28. Monica 29. Prince 30. Buster 31. Carly 32. Storm 33. Duchess 34. Sebastian 35. Lucy 36. Mickey 37. Jasmine 38. Jack 39. Clare 40. Muffin 41. Sammy 42. Willie 43. Mackenzie 44. Kiki 45. Madison 46. Salem 47. Sydney 48. Ziggy 49. Fido 50. Bucky
http://www.dog-names.us/popular-dog-names/

I think Uabasson's (Or maybe I'm just bitter because I have a very common name!) list is closer, BUT... I doo see an awful lot of our (PTers) names on Dog-Names' list!!! :D

Geeesh, I gotta get back to work!!!

Kfamr
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
26/50 on that list are PT dog names. :)

Husky_mom
05-12-2006, 03:38 PM
well i like also not so common names, not that i dont like them but that just me i want unique more weird non traditional names

my (current) two still are not listed on the 50 list YAY!! Ninja and China

my former ones were (lets see if i can remember all ;) :p )

Azabache, Lulu, Reyna, Cindy, Phantom, Cherry, Burro, Rusty (not a brown dog LOL), Andromeda, Billy, Bimbo, Mosh, Chanz, Ranma, Ranmita, Bruce, Zazcuach, Gizmo.............*scratches head*........... Leo, Ronin, Sargent, Silver, Blue, Tonta (now know as China), Ninja

ok i know i missed some but i had a LOT of passers by so.....

joanofark
05-12-2006, 04:04 PM
All my past pet's names were..... (Cat's Green, dogs blue)

Simba, Striker, Moe, Chewy, Summer, Daisy, Necko, Kally, and Max........

k9krazee
05-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Interesting thread!!

Jack is the only one of my dog's names that are on the top 50 (well, except Micki ;) ). I'm actually surprised that Shadow isn't on the top 50, I always thought it was pretty popular, maybe its only here, lol.

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-12-2006, 04:55 PM
I personally don't care for the old original names, I'd never name any of my dogs one of those by choice (if they came with the name, I might keep it). I like names that aren't too common (like Max, Buddy, etc.) but aren't really rare either...sort of in between I guess. I personally also don't like human names for dogs (which is why I wanted to change Morgan's name)..

Uabassoon
05-12-2006, 05:10 PM
For easter I went over to a realatives house. I wanted to laugh when one of the people there introduced me to their new baby boy named Payson. I couldn't help but think "that's a dog's name!". Then I realized Payson makes a nice name for a little boy as well.

flamepony12
05-12-2006, 05:31 PM
But what could you expect if someone called out, "Mackenzie"???

It's never been a problem for me! ;) I actually get a lot of people telling me they like her name. heheh.

dogzr#1
05-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Molly was named that because my mom had a golden retriever when she as little named Molly. Prince because my neibor had two Chihuahuas name King and Queen, so a new chi would fit being named Prince. For Astra, my brother picked her name. We wanted her to have a 'different' name because it was 'different' to see a pure white, blue eyed dog.

Previous names have been:
Huey, Evee, Max, and Gizmo.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-12-2006, 07:36 PM
I personally like the name... it wasen't my chpice to name her Sadie, it was my mom's. At first, we were going to name her 'Shadow'.

Misty_Pearl
05-12-2006, 08:50 PM
I love names and naming my furkids, I can be as creative as I like. All of my furkids get at least 2 names as in a first name and middle name; then of course they all have their respective nick names. Most of the old names I don't like. I love the name Molly however. I had a doll when I was little named Molly and before I settled on Pearl's name Molly was in the running!

Dogs:
Black Pearl (call name Pearl)
Misty Angel (call name Misty)
Tristan Blue Boy (call name Tristan)
Lil' Cobra Dance (call name Boomer)
Minnie Lou (call name Minnie)

Cats:
Brim Stone (call name Brimmy or Hellcat)
Penelope Pringle (call name Nellie)
Egyptian Velvet (call name E.V. or Eve)
Ghost Kerchief (call name Ghost)
Melinda Sue (call name Melinda)
Miss Kitty

Ferrets:
Mohawk Jo (call name Mojo)
Isabelle Raine (call name Isabelle/Izzy)
Ohanna Ruby (call name Ohanna)

Skunks:
Clancy BoRegard (call name Bo)
Izabo Paige (call name Izabo)

Raccoon:
Zorro (call name zorro; still working on a middle name suggestions are welcome ;) )
I have a wonderful name picked out for a little girl also.

Rat:
Titan Ratford (call name Titan)

Turtle:
Lil LocNess (call name Nessa)

IRescue452
05-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Ghost Kercheif? Do I sense a touch of neopets?

Misty_Pearl
05-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Ghost Kercheif? Do I sense a touch of neopets?

ya... just a touch :D

gemini9961
05-12-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a Sadie and a Maggie, both of which are in the top 10 lists. I never looked up names for dogs when we got Sadie. It took me just about a day to come up with her name and it just "fit" her. I didn't know Sadie was such a common name when I chose it. When we got Maggie, I wanted another "ie" name to go with Sadie and I wanted a name that "fit" her as well. I like my girls name it end with "ie" so henceforth Sadie and Maggie. Any future female dog I have will be named Zoie, just like Zoey or Zoe but with the "ie" ending. Yes, they are cutesy, girly names but I like the names and they "fit" my 2 very well. Grant came with his name and hubby did not like any of my other name suggestions so we kept Grant. I have yet to come across another dog named Grant so I'm guessing that's not a usual dog name.

Suki Wingy
05-13-2006, 12:20 AM
I like both. Some names people think are "creative" actually turn out to be quite common. I just don't want to have a dog with the same name as some dog he meets in the park. Future call names I have picked out are:
(from Firefly and Serenity) Jayne
(from the german soft drink Mezzo Mix) Mixer
(from the book The Bean Trees) Pachico (the book says it means like a "bad boy")
Luxor (??I guess after the hotel in Vegas :p )
Vertigo (got the idea after watching this show about the Bermuda Triangle)
there are a LOT more

Wouldn't you know though that when I named Maddie, Madison, after the mermaid in Splash, thinking I'd picked something unique, it turns out that now, every other lil' girl seems to be named Madison.
Same with my 12 year old cousin!

Iilo
05-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I have yet to meet another dog with the same spelling as my boy, Orien.

I usually call him Rien, pronounced Ryan, or just Ri (Ry).

I've met a few Orions, all of them huskies. I guess it's a nordic dog name. :D

His name came from a Cynthia Voigt book called On Fortune's Wheel. The character Orien is the name of the Lord that comes to the protagonist's rescue and is generally her knight in shining armor and true love. That topped with the fact that his bellflower blue eyes are commonly mentioned made me really want to name my puppy that (blue eyes are a disqual in Mals, I have the weirdest sense of humor).

And of course, my knight in shining armor, no matter how I pronounce it, fits his namesake well.

Aspen and Misty
05-13-2006, 04:54 PM
My animal's names are not very unique besides my rabbits, Sharra and Jaxom and my rat, Butternutt. However, I have heard of some pretty creative names at my work. Here are some of my favorites:

Rain (Bernese Mountain Dog) [Favorite name]
Princess Lollipop, Lolli for short (Maltese)
Black Dog, ok, not original, but funny :D (Rottie Mix)
Laner pronounce Lah Near, he is named after a near by lake (Standard Poodle)
Sport (Fox Terrier) [never have heard of a dog named this before, he competes in agility]
Manny (Shepard Mix)
Major Tiao, pronounce Tie Oh (Pug)
Puggy (Pug)
Pao (Pug)

Some families even name there dog's with a theme (Kay):

Adriane and Rocky (Boxers)
Simba and Nala (Dobermans)

I personally prefer unique names, they are much more interesting.

Ashley