PDA

View Full Version : Dog rant regarding my ex.

My Peanuts
05-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I really need to talk to people like me right now. (My ex and I work together so I see him a lot) Anyway, we just watched the new Penn and Teller episode about animal lovers at work. My ex and I started talking about things and he said I spent too much money on Jimmy to get him well. I spent $2,000 not counting all his prescription food. He said if it was him he would have put him down. :mad: I'm so mad! He said that he would have done some of it, but if it kept going he said he would have put him down. UNBELIEVABLE!
To top it off he spends several times that amount on stupid things, dj equipment, trampolines for the land and water, etc. :mad:

I just needed to rant. I am a pet lover. I treat my pets like family, but I'm not overboard. I do what needs to be done. $2,000 isn't anywhere near the amount Jimmy is worth. He is priceless and I'd do everything I could for him and my other pups. My ex makes me feel crazy for doing what I do!

Glacier
05-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Just ignore him. I bet he's trying to get a rise out of you! Or maybe he just doesn't get it--some people don't and never will. It's their loss. I've had several people tell me I should have put Pete(one of my cats) down and just got another orange tabby. Stuart calls Pete the world's most expensive free kitten, but he's worth every dime! So is Jimmy!

My Peanuts
05-11-2006, 06:06 PM
I know, what you mean. Sylvia is purebred and we got her as a puppy (never again though, I'm all about rescuing and shelters now) and she was no where near as much as "free" Jimmy was! :)

My ex isn't a horrible person(he better not be or I wasted 10 years of my life on him :eek: ) and that's why it upsets me to hear him talk that way. You're right he just doesn't get it.

Jessika
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Don't let it bother you, sounds to me like he is just doing it on purpose to make you upset! I'm sure if he were as attached to an animal as you are to your pup, he would do the exact same thing. Some people just don't understand, at all.

lute
05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
i'm glad he's your ex! he's probably just trying to piss you off. spending that money means you care a lot about Jimmy and there is NOTHING wrong with that. people make fun of me for how much i'm getting ready to pay for my dane puppy. they say i'm stupid and i could just get a dog for free off the street. i say i take PLENTY of dogs off the street. i also just donated a 7x13 kennel to the humane society. it's ok for me to spend a large amount of money on a dog.

zoey
05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Maybe your ex is a little jealous of your Jimmy.
Jimmy is precious and worth whatever it may cost to keep him healthy. You and all of us know that in our hearts. To heck w/ your ex's misguided opinion!!! :cool:

joycenalex
05-11-2006, 06:17 PM
your money is your business, ignore him. alex the wonder dog has seizures and over the last 9 years, i'm totally unwilling to add up how much i've spent on his care. many people have told me to put him down, blah, blah. i smile and say...my money, my business.

lizbud
05-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Maybe your ex is a little jealous of your Jimmy.
Jimmy is precious and worth whatever it may cost to keep him healthy. You and all of us know that in our hearts. To heck w/ your ex's misguided opinion!!! :cool:

That's what I thought, he's jealous :) probably wouldn't have objected
to you spending the money on him. :D

Alysser
05-11-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm sorry he siad that. I hate talking to people who don't understand this. It's annoys me that people don't care for animals and I can't help but get upset.

Kfamr
05-11-2006, 08:00 PM
I hate when people are like this.

A got in an argument with a friend of mine the other day. He failed to understand why I spend so much money on my dogs - shampoo/conditioner, collars, their $50 food, etc. Yet he is in dept to different people.

caseysmom
05-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Well you know all of us understand, like Glacier said some people don't get it and they never will.

WarahGirl1995
05-11-2006, 08:30 PM
I know why he is your ex. he wont even let u spend money on your dog that needs it without doing it in peace :rolleyes:

Pawsitive Thinking
05-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Suddenly becomes very clear why he is your ex!!

Zippy
05-12-2006, 08:20 AM
your ex was out of line
some people don't understand animal people we are the best kind of people

BOBS DAD
05-12-2006, 08:25 AM
When you say EX - do you mean as in husband?

I guess I can see both sides of this debate. It is very sad when a pet you loves becomes very expensive to maintain and keep healthy. But if you can afford it - it's your money and your business. It is also sad when people find themselves in your same condition and really cannot afford it, but try to anyway - depriving themselves and sometimes their families of basic neccessities.

I guess in these situations it is best to try and see if an adoption can be arranged or if a family member/friend might be able to help. When all else fails and bills continue to mount, only then do i think you need to consider the alternative. But thankfully, it doesn't sound like you are in that situation.

Wow... it must be strange to have to work with your ex.

Queen of Poop
05-12-2006, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't consider his opinion as one that counts because he doesn't know and doesn't have the relationship with Jimmy that you do. I commend you for taking such good care of Jimmy, he's a sweetie and deserves it. Hugs to you. :D

Pembroke_Corgi
05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Good for you for not placing a value on your dog's life! It bothers me too when people set a certain amount of money they are willing to spend on their pets. They don't realize it's not about the money, it's about helping someone in your care get the best care they can. Jimmy is so lucky to have a great person like you, some people just don't get it, I guess!

My Peanuts
05-15-2006, 04:56 PM
When you say EX - do you mean as in husband?

No, he wasn't my husband. We dated for 10 years and we were engaged for about 4 years. We dated when I was 14 until I was 24. I'm 25 years old now.

My Peanuts
05-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for understanding everyone :)

cyber-sibes
05-15-2006, 05:04 PM
i just want tell you that I have been following your threads about Jimmy and I greatly admire all you have done for him. You are giving this little guy care, dignity, and love...things he sadly missed out on before coming to live with you. Like my husband says, money's for spending. IMO, you are spending yours wisely. ;)