PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about teeth?

slleipnir
05-10-2006, 06:47 PM
I think I'm going to the dentist soon anyway, so it doesn't really matter. But I kinda want to know anyway, if anyone here knows.

Some of my teeth have this little yellowish line right below the gums. Mostly my back teeth. However, I noticed it on the backs of my lower front teeth today. It worries me. Any idea what it is, or how I can get rid of it? I brush my teeth atleast once a day...I do floss, but not as much as I should

Karen
05-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Probably tartar, which they'll scrape off at a cleaning.

A dentist told me a long time ago that most people brush thier teeth too quickly - as in, a quick once-over. She said a person should spend at least a minute on the actual brushing of the teeth, which I try to pay attention to when I'm awake enough when brushing my teeth.

Jessika
05-10-2006, 06:55 PM
It can be just discoloration or something else.. I forget what its called.. something like, calcium deposits (but that's not it.. I don't believe). I used to have a yellow "stain" on one of my front teeth that wouldn't go away, no matter what I did.

You can try some whitening toothpaste. :)

slleipnir
05-10-2006, 07:01 PM
It doesn't seem to "scrape off". And on the back of the front teeth, it almost feels like there is something in between my teeth, which is annoying. It was there the last time I went to the dentist and they just told me I needed to floss more (didn't mention the spots/stains/whatever they are)

Jessika
05-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Well if its a stain then it won't necessarily "scrape off". Sometimes teeth just become... discolored. HJ has the same problem. Whitening toothpaste helps a little!

Karen
05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
It doesn't seem to "scrape off". And on the back of the front teeth, it almost feels like there is something in between my teeth, which is annoying. It was there the last time I went to the dentist and they just told me I needed to floss more (didn't mention the spots/stains/whatever they are)

The dentist uses specialized tools to scrape the tartar off. It's not something you could scrape off with a fingernail or anything, and you don't want to use anything else, so you don't damage the tooth's enamel.

Ask your dentist if you should be using a tartar-control toothpaste when you go.

slleipnir
05-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks. I hope that's all it is. I think my next appt is late summer/early fall...I might just wait to ask then. For now, I gotta floss more :o

lv4dogs
05-11-2006, 09:01 AM
My brother has "lines" in some of his teeth, his dentist said it was too much sugary foods & liquids. His dentist told him to cut back on sodas & juices.

slleipnir
05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I do drink a lot of pop...I've been trying to cut back on it though...:o

king2005
05-11-2006, 02:14 PM
My yellow line fell off & you don't wanna know whats on the other side.. needless to say, when I go to PEI I'll be returning home with 1 less tooth. Oddly enough, PEI is FAR cheaper to get teeth pulled as all the dentists here want to do 100 different things to me & I cannot afford that.. I just want it ripped out so I can go home.

RedHedd
05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
I just want it ripped out so I can go home. :confused: and live the rest of your life with a hole in your mouth that will cause your other teeth to move around? Not a good idea.

Invest in a good toothbrush - my dentist recommended the Sonicare - that will automatically time how long you brush. Floss daily - you do NOT want to go through massive and expensive periodontistry or bridgework, which I have done. Maintain what you have and it will last a lifetime.

king2005
05-11-2006, 03:55 PM
:confused: and live the rest of your life with a hole in your mouth that will cause your other teeth to move around? Not a good idea.

Invest in a good toothbrush - my dentist recommended the Sonicare - that will automatically time how long you brush. Floss daily - you do NOT want to go through massive and expensive periodontistry or bridgework, which I have done. Maintain what you have and it will last a lifetime.

all my teeth are bad.. Thats just the worst one as its rotten all around... so not realy painfull, just not pretty to look at. I aslo don't have the money to do anything fancy.. 100.00 will get it pulled even that is a lot of money! With this 1 tooth pulled then my other teeth will move over to take care of the gap (or most of it).. my wisdom tooth keeps trying to come out, but other teeth are in the way. Super bad teeth run in the family.. my uncle was 30 something when he had to have all his teeth pulled & replaced. Hes a clean freak & it still happened to him.. So it doesn't matter how many times I brush it'll never get better, just worse. Its only a matter of time before i'm like my uncle :( Hopefully I'll be lucky like him & win the loto & get them all replaced at once with nice fake ones lol