PDA

View Full Version : :( Bleh.

Kfamr
05-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Just a few things doggie related that have had me upset.

Firstly, nail clipping. No matter how much time in between clippings, how TINY the amount I clip, I ALWAYS make Kiara bleed. It seems like I can clip forever on Simba & Nala, but a tiny tiny bit on Kiara makes he bleed - Any paw, any nail.. it bleeds.

She is terrified of getting her nails clipped now. The sight of the clippers and she gets upset. I literally have to sit on her (not completely, I put my legs over her chest and her hind legs) to clip her nails.

I don't know what to do. They are too long right now in my opinion. They stay the same length, she wears them down running a bit, but still they are too long for my liking. I guess I've just go to get over it.

Secondly... :( Simba. I know I have these moments every now and then where I just throw a pity party because my boy is getting older. I know he isn't TOO old, but watching them age is the most heartbreaking thing.

My dad brought up on the way home the other day how he wants to build Simba stairs. He's having even more difficulties jumping on the bed than he did before. He slips all the time. It kills me inside and I hate to be upset around him because it makes him extremely nervous and upset as well.
I don't know what to do... and there isn't anything I can do, just face the facts that he's aging.

You all can ignore this thread.. just not feeling right tonight especially after trying to clip Ki's nails. Clipped one, made her bleed, she yelped.. and that was it for me. Cried and held her as I stopped her bleeding.

DOGS!

bckrazy
05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
=( I'm sorry, Kay. Dogs can be so fragile at times, it is heartbreaking to know that they will not be with you forever. Your 3 pups have an awesome life with you, though, and you are doing the best for them that anyone could... so don't blame yourself, it's just life! Have you tried a dremmel on Ki?

Kfamr
05-09-2006, 10:16 PM
=( I'm sorry, Kay. Dogs can be so fragile at times, it is heartbreaking to know that they will not be with you forever. Your 3 pups have an awesome life with you, though, and you are doing the best for them that anyone could... so don't blame yourself, it's just life! Have you tried a dremmel on Ki?

Thanks Erica, that made me smile. :)

I haven't used/bothered getting a dremmel. I'm talking the tiniest little sliver of nail I cut and she bleed. I can clip pretty small portions of nail with my clippers.. I think she would bleed then too.

I'm guessing she just keeps them down herself from all of her running, but it still bothers me them being as long as they are (Not as bad as some but I'm picky. :o )

chocolatepuppy
05-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Kay, I feel your pain. Mandy, no problem,Lacey, oh boy. :rolleyes: She is scared when I clip her nails and growls at me most of the time. She's never bit at me but I'm waiting for the day.
As for Simba getting older, he's got a long time left to go, I'm sure. An aging dog has many wonderful, special moments, you will get to enjoy. Best to try not to dwell on Simba getting older and enjoy him. :)

Kfamr
05-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Kay, I feel your pain. Mandy, no problem,Lacey, oh boy. :rolleyes: She is scared when I clip her nails and growls at me most of the time. She's never bit at me but I'm waiting for the day.
As for Simba getting older, he's got a long time left to go, I'm sure. An aging dog has many wonderful, special moments, you will get to enjoy. Best to try not to dwell on Simba getting older and enjoy him. :)

Thanks Annette. To be honest, Simba doesn't like his nails clipped either. I trust him with a LOT of things... but I just get this vibe from him when clipping his nails. I don't think he'd bite me... but like I said, some sort of vibe. I keep my face far from him while clipping.

As far as dwelling on him getting old, what you said is true.. and generally I don't dwell on it. I call him an old fart while chasing him in playtime as he's play bowing. He has a lot left in him but it's those rare times when he gets down.. it brings me down with him.

I'm sure you understand. :)

Rio&Nickysmommy
05-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Yesa I can relate to both the nail clipping and th aging of our furbabies. My RIo I look at him sometimes and just get so down when I see some days he is not as playfull as he was. Then next day he is off chasing squirrels again. It' ok to have apitty party some days. (I have them alot) Just we have to enjoy like they said our times together.
Rio&Nickysmommy

CagneyDog
05-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry Kay :(

I know exactly what you mean about the ageing. It truly is heart breaking but there is nothing we can do. Spend as much time as you can with him, take lots of pictures, and enjoy the time you have :)

Glacier
05-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I have the same problem with Preacher's nails, except he doesn't wear them down from running anymore. His nails have a strangely long quick and it's easy to clip too much. Plus all his nails are black! They look too long to me, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all so I mostly just leave them alone!

I had a little cry tonight about Sleet's aging. I took her for a walk when I got home. She was a having a great time, tail up, wagging, sniffing ect. But her gait was all wrong. She hardly moved her back legs at all, just hopped off them. She really struggled coming up a hill on the way home. I'm sure she'll need a pain killer tonight. But, like Simba, she's had a great life here full of good things. She will take a part of my soul with her when she goes, but I'm going to try and enjoy every second that she's here! A friend told me once that she thought it was a privledge to take care of an old dog, to give them dignity, love and happiness in their golden years. I really like that idea. Watching them age sucks at times, but it is my honor to share their lives.

I hope you get many more happy years with Simba!

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-09-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry, Kay :( As far as Kiara's nails go the bleeding thing could very well have to with one of the breeds in her mix, we obviously don't know what breeds she is but there are certain breeds (Dobermans being one of the most popular for this) that bleed extremely easy for the simplest of things. Of course, it also has to do with just individual dogs. With the dremel, what my dogs get done is grind the nail back but the quick doesn't usually get touched (it does a little, but not much). Then the quick slowly moves back each time as it would with clipping so that you can keep the nails nice and short, it's pretty hard to explain without being there to show you though. Winston & Tango were having the same problem with Ki when it came to clipping the nails, so now they have to get them dremeled also. They're also much more relaxed with the dremel than they were with the clipper.

K9karen
05-09-2006, 11:18 PM
dearest kay...
your post made my heart jump. i know exactly how you feel. i used to count every grey hair on cody's mug and just cringe. i finally realized that my deep abiding love for him would be with me forever. i refuse to count my days with mz logan. i enjoy her every second. the most be can do is love and care for our pets, make them comfortable as they age. you are magic dog girl and it'sa so obvious simba, nala and ki love you to shreds.
logan's nails are black and difficult to cut. i wouldn't dare try to cut them myself. i know it'd be the only time she'd nip me. i get the vibe too. she's fine at the vet with a muzzle and luckily, no blood. sounds like kiki-dee has long quiks. can you file them? huge and endless kisses and hugs to your sweet babes.typing w/ one hand-sorry making cap letters is too hard :rolleyes:

cyber-sibes
05-09-2006, 11:41 PM
:( I know what you mean about watching them age... I have watched Star changing the past few years and it breaks my heart - but she still has plenty of zip & keeps up well with the younger dogs, but she doesn't do body slams like she used to. Simba is still so handsome & healthy, and I think your dad is wonderful, it's so thoughtful to make steps for him!
I don't know what to do about nails, I've never had to trim them until this year. Star's wear down alright, but Sherman's got too long. I had the vet clip them at their last visit & it took the vet, 2 assistants, & me to keep him still! Remember when he broke his toe last year? It sits up a little above the others now, & that claw doesn't get any wear at all. But he gets soooo upset about having his foot handled, poor boy. I can't imagine him letting me near with a dremel either! Please excuse the rambling....

Karen
05-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Your Dad's offer sounds great - SimbaStairs! That way he can get up and down with dignity, and not risk twisting anything ... Give Simba a bellyrub for me, okay?

As for Ki and her nails, poor girl. Are her toenails all black, too, like a certain bunny of mine? Thankfully, Miss Hoppy trims her own nails, before she decided to do it herself, it was awful for all three of us. She's only almost four pounds - so we canot even "sit on her" like one can with a dog. So trimming her nails was a two-person job.

pnance
05-10-2006, 01:22 AM
I understand the nail problem. Nikka has never let me touch her's from the time I first got her. It's the one time she's tried to bite. I finally gave up and took her into the vet because they were to long. 45 minutes later we had a discussion with the techs and vets regarding sedating her, they decided to give it one more try and with the help of 4 techs they finally got them clipped. In the end she "expressed" and peed all over the back room she was so upset. This is a dog that loves everyone and is always happy even at the vets. I've learned to live with her's being on the long side.

It's hard to accept them getting older, but you still have time with Simba, just enjoy all those special moments.

Alysser
05-10-2006, 05:43 AM
I feel your pain. Sassy is aging and is less and less active everyday. I can't stand seeing her not wanting to play anymore. Whats next? She won't want to go on walks? I hope that day never comes. She really loves walks at the moment and I can't picture her not liking them. :rolleyes: But if that day comes I'll be pretty upset. I hope you can have many many more happy years with Simba. He's lived a full, happy life with you and your family and he still is. :D

JenBKR
05-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Oh I'm so sorry - I know how hard it is watching a beloved pet get older, it's so scary. I wish that they could live as long as us, and share our entire lives with us. Give Simba huggies and kisses from me.

BitsyNaceyDog
05-10-2006, 08:40 AM
I was going to suggest using a dremel too. Even if you're now taking off only the smallest amount you can get half that with the dremel. The quick of the nail doesn't like to be too close to the end of the nail (even if it seems like it does) so when you cut them (or file them) the quick WILL shrink back, just like Orangutango said. Over time they will get back to a better length.

cloverfdx
05-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Kay i can sympathise with you about watching our kids getting older :(. Cherish each and every day with Simba. You are in my thoughts {{Hugs}}.

lute
05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
i'm so sorry you're having a tough time. :( with Kiara's nails maybe buy a nail grinder. i use one for Gracie.

i understand compleatly what you are going through with Simba. my Beanie is showing his age. he's 8. he is starting to get arthritus(sp) in his back legs. :( there's nothing we can do other than enjoy every moment we have with them! :)

EDIT: i didn't see that more people had advised a dremel. :o

Lori Jordan
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Poor thing Maggy dont bleed i have a real hard time on her nails every nail on every paw i cut them and they crack all the way to her foot and Lacy nails looks like she has her nails done lol there perfect and Molly Yikes her nails are horrible so thick..and storm have not attempted to cut his yet the dont seem to grow right yet

zoomer
05-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry, Kay :( Your dogs love you so much and you love them so much, it's not even funny :o It's not your fault... don't feel bad.

My Peanuts
05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I know it's hard when they get older. It's so hard to face it that they don't live as long as we do, but we think of them as family.

As for Kiara, she might have longer quicks than Simba and Nala. RB Angie and Harley have longer quicks than the other dogs. Their nails are naturally longer and if I try to cut then as short as Syl, Mort, and Jim he will bleed.

My Peanuts
05-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Oh, btw, the vet can't even cut Sylvia's nails. They tried to hold her down and then he had to admit he couldn't do it. She doesn’t bite, but she wiggles like crazy and gets really upset. Plus her nails are black and we can’t see the quick. She will let my brother do it or I try to file them down. Usually she keeps them worn down pretty well though.