PDA

View Full Version : UK vs. USA dog shows

zoomer
05-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Which dog show standards do you think are better? The UK or USA? I like the USA better because of the Boxer's ears.

IRescue452
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
UK by far. The US is just a beauty contest and they are willing to deform dogs to get what they want. The UK is more about form and function over beauty.

Muddy4paws
05-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I've only been to 2 dog shows, one I cant remember! and Crufts this year omg I was in heaven lol I dont think I know too many American dog shows, but I would love to go out there one day and go to one, Just to see how the different styles are on dogs out there .. Sad I know :p

elizabethann
05-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Crufts was on the Animal Planet channel last night. Not sure who won - went to bed early. It was interesting to see some of the dogs I've never seen or heard of before. It seemed like the Crufts show has a more relaxed dress-code than Westminster. Some people showing their dogs at Crufts were in jeans and sneakers. There was one dog - I think it was a red & white Setter. It was beeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuutiful!

But I don't have preference. I like both US & UK.

:)

IRescue452
05-09-2006, 01:24 PM
The Australian Shepherd won. First time an aussie took Crufts best in show.

Jessika
05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Crufts was on the Animal Planet channel last night. Not sure who won - went to bed early. It was interesting to see some of the dogs I've never seen or heard of before. It seemed like the Crufts show has a more relaxed dress-code than Westminster. Some people showing their dogs at Crufts were in jeans and sneakers. There was one dog - I think it was a red & white Setter. It was beeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuutiful!

But I don't have preference. I like both US & UK.

:)

Chance won! The Aussie!! I watched it last night and made HJ watch the Pastorial group and the BIS part when he got home from work. Chance was just... the most beautiful Aussie I think I've seen!!

I don't know which I prefer, I JUST started getting into watching them. I must say I do prefer Crufts because its international, so you get to see MANY more unique dogs that you just wouldn't be able to see at an AKC show

shihtzulover850
05-09-2006, 01:53 PM
US You can understand what they are talking about better :D

Suki Wingy
05-09-2006, 03:04 PM
they are both good in their own ways

bckrazy
05-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I do prefer UK, because of the cropping & docking. =(

I prefer Europe in general, because a lot of European kennel clubs require working dogs to earn WORKING titles before they're allowed to be shown. It's ridiculous to judge the quality of a working breed based solely on their appearance.

dab_20
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Well, from what I understand, they don't crop dog's ears in UK shows. I like that part about it much better! US is ok, too I suppose. I have never seen a UK show, though, so I woulden't know.

lute
05-09-2006, 05:18 PM
it's a toss up. i like the movement of a lot of the UK dogs, but i think they look really frumpy and unkept. did anyone see the dane on the Crufts dog show last night? it was short, had bad coloring, was too thick,and just all around bad quality as far as i could tell. i prefer the breed to be like the AKC standard. i do like the UK version of the GSD though. they don't walk on their hocks quite like the US dogs.

binka_nugget
05-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I prefer UK standards.. ESPECIALLY for GSDs!

bckrazy
05-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Lute, I think that has to do with the breed standards and working emphasis in Europe. I have talked to plenty of people who hate European Dobermans and Rotties, because they are much bigger boned. What they do not realize is, stick-thin AKC Dobes are not natural! They are bred that way because their purpose is to look pretty, not to really work. At least that's the impression I got from the Crufts Dane vs a lot of AKC Danes?

zoomer
05-09-2006, 09:08 PM
I like the Boxer's ears in USA, I think they look good.

But I like the fact that UK doesn't have cropped/docked dogs. Well, they aren't part of the standard.

wolfsoul
05-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I haven't read anything about UK standards so I can't answer the question -- but I must say, when I was researching UK show shelties, they were uuuugly (I'm used to seeing CKC and AKC show shelties). :o It's really interesting though, to see the differences betweens breeds in different countries.

Jessika
05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
You guys seem to forget -- Crufts is an international dog show, so you will have dogs being entered from places such as the US where they DO practice procedures such as cropping and docking, etc.

cloverfdx
05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Neither :(. But if i had to choose it would be UK shows, for working/ cropping reasons ;).

I despise the idea of dogs being judged on looks and not working ability.

.sarah
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I despise the idea of dogs being judged on looks and not working ability.
Ugh, me too. That is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to show breeders with working breeds. That CH should mean nothing unless if the dog has a working title too. The Lab parent club won't recognize a CH without a JH or WC but the AKC still does. And the sad part is, those are the easiest titles to obtain as long as your dog has the instinct! There's not much training that you have to do.

With dogs who aren't bred to work anymore or were never bred to work, like Great Danes, toy/miniature Poodles, etc., I think they should obtain agility or obedience titles before a CH is recognized.

Kfamr
05-09-2006, 10:25 PM
To be honest,
I rarely ever watch dog shows. Same ideas as Rhi's... but a tad bit differed overall I don't care for them.

I'll stop and watch a show while flipping thru channels for a few seconds. All together, I find them boring.

Rio and Me
05-10-2006, 02:10 AM
I havnt got a preferance because iv never seen a US show!
but i think any show dog should show some potental (?speeling) in the job they were origally bred to do! (obvioulsly not toys etc). and im not for the docking ban, dog's like dobes,rotties, cockers etc look horrid with long spindally tails. not ust for looks porpuses either they were docked for a reason!
but i would like to see shows from other contrys!

Ky

dab_20
05-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Could anyone give me a UK site and a US site so I could see the differences?

IRescue452
05-10-2006, 10:09 AM
http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/amcocker.htm
http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/dobermann.htm
http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/rottweiler6.htm
I think they look good with full tails. The rottie's is full and thick, not spindley. They aren't usually docked for a reason anyway. ALL breeds have the same risk for breaking their tails. Besides, the rottie, dobermann, corgi, griffon brux, min pin, yorkie, and many other breeds aren't even used for hunting in heavy brush cover where their tails could be hurt.

zoomer
05-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I really like Boxers with their tails:
Picture 1 (http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/boxer5.htm)
Picture 2 (http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/boxer6.htm)
Picture 3 (http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/boxer7.htm)
Picture 4 (http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/boxer10.htm)

Check out this site:
http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/

Kfamr
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
That's another reason I don't like dog shows - I prefer natural ears and tails!

dab_20
05-10-2006, 04:51 PM
That's another reason I don't like dog shows - I prefer natural ears and tails!

Same here! That website that shows all those tails is shocking! :(

EssTer
09-18-2006, 11:53 AM
I prefer FCI :D

But actually it depends on breed.. I mean UK has awesome setters, especially gordons, as I´m showing them and other hunting dogs.

But USA has nice aussies and huskies....

but the one thing I really dont like about USA is how they change so many breeds into ugly dogs (sorry..) maybe the dogs arent ugly..but not as they were supposed to be..as example is GSD

look at his back legs! :eek: how the dog is going to move on hard surface??

http://foto.radikal.ru/0509/9d3db6d6cd21.jpg

also I find USA dobies quite...not so beautiful as the original ones...

Suki Wingy
09-18-2006, 10:14 PM
I'd just like to add that I really don't like how in my breed (dals) blue eyes are a DQ in the UK. I bet they've kept more cautious temperament though but I'm not sure. I prefer the slightly cautious ones over outgoing as the AKC standard says because1. outgoing dogs can get annoying, 2. They're supposed to gaurd my horses for me for heavens sake and chances are my future ones will!

k9krazee
09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
I really am not interested in dog shows period, so I don't have a preference. Agility trials are much more my thing ;)

dogfighter2111
09-19-2006, 02:02 AM
I like the Boxer's ears in USA, I think they look good.

But I like the fact that UK doesn't have cropped/docked dogs. Well, they aren't part of the standard.

Hi,

Actually we do have some Docked dogs in Crufts. For example my English Cocker has been docked. I beleive gundogs are allowed to be docked within the UK but no other breed. That goes with the shape of their use :)

Thanks
Mike