PDA

View Full Version : Ear problems?

slleipnir
05-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Josie has been holding one ear lower than the other, and shaking her head. I figured it's an ear infection, as she has a lot of them. I checked her ears to see how red they are, but they weren't at all. Instead, there are this little brown/red dots. They cover all the pink part of her ear, even the flappy part. They look almost like freckles. I had some ear wash left over from her last infection, and cleaned her ears...but, does anyone have any idea what it is, or if it's even serious? I'm wondering if it's something to call the vet over...

Kater
05-08-2006, 07:13 PM
It sounds like it could be ear mites. It seems you are saying it doesn't resemble the type of normal build-up you are used to seeing, that's significant.

Even if its not mites, you don't want her to keep shaking her head since hematomas can result.

I would call or get it checked out by your vet.

Kfamr
05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Do they smell at all?
Could you get a picture of it? Sounds like Ear mites to me, too.

slleipnir
05-08-2006, 07:28 PM
It doesn't smell, that I can tell anyway. It's not coming off either. Like, I washed her ears and it's still there. I'll try to get a picture later tonight.

slleipnir
05-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Here are a couple pics...hope you can see what I mean from them...not the best quality
It looks like dirt, but it doesn't come off...?

Kfamr
05-08-2006, 08:33 PM
That's really weird. Does she have fleas at all?

I've never seen that before.

If it's bothering her, I'd take her to the vets or atleast call them.

slleipnir
05-08-2006, 09:32 PM
I gave all the pets flea treatment not that long ago...

Sevaede
05-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Hmm, that looks like something that one of my dogs had. I am not sure how long ago, what it was, or even who had it. I've sent the link for this post to my dads email and he'll show it to my mom. I'll relay the message once she sees it. :) (She was a vet tech for a long while so she might be able to tell me something.)

IRescue452
05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Looks like plain ole ear mites to me. Autumn gets them and that's what her ears look like before cleaning. It always comes off with a washcloth though. I suppose you'd better see a vet for diagnosis and they will have something to clean the ears with if it is mites.

slleipnir
05-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Looks like plain ole ear mites to me. Autumn gets them and that's what her ears look like before cleaning. It always comes off with a washcloth though. I suppose you'd better see a vet for diagnosis and they will have something to clean the ears with if it is mites.

Like I said, it doesn't wash off....

pnance
05-10-2006, 01:33 AM
It's weird that it doesn't wash off. Hunter had something that look almost exactly like that and was difficult to get off, but once I wet the area with ear cleaner then took a kleenax and soaked it in the ear cleaner I was able to remove it. If you can't get it off, I agree with the others, you should problem consult your vet.

lv4dogs
05-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Nanook has those & it used to be worse, especially when he would dig a lot. Although he had no problems, no itching, shaking, whining, etc... because it was mostly just dirt. ;) It took a little bit of work getting it clean again. I'd put a warm moist cloth on it for a while, repeaated until it was easier to scrub off. And I honestly think some of them on Nanook are freckles because there are some that NEVER come off.

Because Josie is shaking her head and holding it weird she may have something else going on, either a little dirt, a possible infection starting, even a loose piece of hair or grass in there.

I would suggest you try cleaning the spots like I stated above. Then to help with the actual ear problem I would clean her ears well with a ear wash/drying solution. I'd wait a day, and if she is not acting any better I'd repeat the ear cleaning and then add a little of the meds from her last ear infection (ONLY if it has not expired) for another day or 2. If she doesn't improve then I'd get her to the vet, if she worsens then I;d stop what your doing & get her to the vets.

Do the ears smell bad?

Ear mites look like coffee grounds IN the ear canal, they usually don't hang around on the flap unless it's a major infestation.

I don't think it's anything too serious as you said the ears are not red at all.

Good luck.

slleipnir
05-10-2006, 08:00 AM
I did clean her ears out. The cloth was a little dirty, but the spots never came off at all. I don't think she's been shaking her head since I cleaned it. Atleast, she doesn't hold her ear down anymore. (that's what she does when she has an infection) One ear doesn't seem to be spotty at all. They don't smell...and her actually ear canal looks clean and pink to me.

julie ficenec
05-10-2006, 06:53 PM
hi my name is julie and i have been a vet tech for 14yrs. most likly the problemis allergies, and yourvet can give you meds to take care of the problem. :)

Sevaede
05-11-2006, 02:32 AM
hi my name is julie and i have been a vet tech for 14yrs. most likly the problemis allergies, and yourvet can give you meds to take care of the problem. :)

Hi Mom! :D

BitsyNaceyDog
05-11-2006, 08:51 AM
hi my name is julie and i have been a vet tech for 14yrs. most likly the problem is allergies, and your vet can give you meds to take care of the problem. :)

Bitsy gets that in her ears. I can usually get it off, but not easly, I 'scrub' them like lv4dogs said. I never though too much about it before, her ears never seem to bother her. She has horrible allergies, but I never connected the two things before. When I take her to the vet (she's seen multiple) for her allergies they always give her prednisone, which I hate. I always revert back to benadryl.

julie ficenec
05-12-2006, 08:39 AM
hi this is julie again, benadrly will work just fine :) if she is a big dog you can give her 50mg 3 times a day :) let me know how it goes.

Sevaede
05-12-2006, 11:56 PM
hi this is julie again, benadrly will work just fine :) if she is a big dog you can give her 50mg 3 times a day :) let me know how it goes.

Arrghh!! *poke poke poke* :D